The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2017, 12:03 PM

Default Proper Amplification to compare Taylor ES sytems?

I currently own 3 guitar amps, but not one specifically for acoustics. The closest I have to an acoustic amp is a Roland Cube 40XL. And while it does have an acoustic simulator, I prefer the JC clean channel, backing off the bass a whole lot and then minor tweaks with the mids and trebles.

The reason I'm posting this question is because I have two Taylor guitars, one with a ES1, one with ES2 and a soundhole pickup (SD Woody XL) for my Martin with a Baggs preamp. With the Cube 40 I like the sound of the ES1 and the Woody/Baggs combination... but dislike the sound of the ES2. The ES2, compared to the others (with this amp) just sounds brittle. It's supposed to sound "natural", right? I'm not getting to "natural" at all. To get the ES2 to sound reasonable with this amp, I have to turn the treble knob on the guitar to almost -3/4 and the bass +1/4 to +1/2. The ES1 on my 614 just sound fine with tone knobs flat sitting in their detents.

So, my question(s) is/are: Is the Cube 40 good enough to evaluate the pickup systems? Would liking the ES1 and Woody/Baggs systems be enough evidence to "indict" the ES2 system? When I go on gigs I'm plugged directly into the house system so I don't really get to hear my sound. But the feedback I'm getting from others is that my sound is too bright and brings out some unpleasantries, such as string squeak, even with my right hand.

Any thoughts?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification