The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

http://jamesmayengineering.com/wp-co...tions-v0.6.pdf

Here are James May's instructions for installing the Ultratonic, including instructions for installing the Ultratonic in a nylon string guitar, which is why I mentioned the Ultratonic as an option.

I had no idea that James doesn't recommend the pickup for nylon string guitars.?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
http://jamesmayengineering.com/wp-co...tions-v0.6.pdf

Here are James May's instructions for installing the Ultratonic, including instructions for installing the Ultratonic in a nylon string guitar, which is why I mentioned the Ultratonic as an option.

I had no idea that James doesn't recommend the pickup for nylon string guitars.?
The Ultra Tonic works superbly on nylon string guitars, either with or without a bridge plate. I'm not sure where that notion came from. Perhaps from very early on before I had confirmed that it works as effectively on nylon strings as on steel strings. The only possible complication would be an unusual bracing pattern that would put a brace right down the center of the under bridge area. That would mean the position of the main discs would have to be altered slightly, but will probably still be workable.

I've installed UTPs in a number of nylon string guitars with excellent results. John Buscarino puts them in his guitars as well.

BTW, there is a newer installation guide than the one posted above.
http://jamesmayengineering.com/wp-co...tions-v1.1.pdf

This newest installation guide points out that the installation CAN be done without special tools or instruments.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 10-24-2018, 01:41 AM

James, my apologies for misleading information I provided unintentionaly.
I should have checked if I'm up to date with information about Ultatonic pickup.
I had in mind that Ultratonic pickup is not recommended for guitars without bridge plate (I think it was communicated so in the early threads here).
I'm happy that Ultratonic works fine with nylon string also - nylon with SBTs tend to feedback more easily, so besides a great sound, it can also help in this matter.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

The second best thing about the AGF is The immense amount of information about Guitars, electronics for musicians, and music that is shared here.

The first best thing about the AGF is the mutually respect full way that participants nearly always share, debate, opine, inform and educate each other.

Thank you, Marek, for sharing and later clarifying the best information! Without your comment, James may have never known about this thread, and therefore never educated us about using the ultra tonic pick up with nylon string guitars.

Thank you, James, four setting the record straight on the capabilities of the of the Ultratonic with nylon string guitars.

Endorsement by John Buscarino is about as good as you can get!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification