The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-15-2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
See my response to Frank above...
Isn't that for the V5?

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-15-2021, 12:07 AM

I own a slew of killer tube amps, I'm not talking about things like Bugeras and Princeton Reverb circuit board based tube amps which are fine amps. No, I'm talking about vintage (handwired 50's and 60's vintage Fenders and Ampegs which are tuned up to spec) and boutique (Tophat, Victoria, Clark (hand-wired amps that cost a fortune and sound great), but, I also have a solid state pedal called an Origin Effects Revival Drive, and when it's plugged into any good SS Power amp (yes, even a PA amp), it will slay many a good tube amp. It's that good. It feels and sounds like a killer vintage tube amp and it gets the vintage tube amp tones in spades (ie Marshall, Vox, Fender 5E3). It is amazing box, and has changed my opinion about solid state. And if I had one of the aforementioned little production amps like the 22 watt Bugera or a Princeton Reverb, I would stick one of these in front of it, to get a killer gig worthy tone, without breaking the bank on a vintage or boutique amp. I use it with a handwired Princeton Clone and it actually sounds better than some of my vintage amps!!! Solid state at it's finest!!! And although it's expensive box thex make a single channel version of it that sounds just as good. To be clear it is not a modeler, it's a pedal that uses analog solid state components that mimic all aspects of tube amps, including things like rectifier sag, and ghost notes. I wish this company would build this into a amp with a solid state power section and a decent speaker.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 05-15-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
... I also have a solid state pedal called an Origin Effects Revival Drive, and when it's plugged into any good SS Power amp (yes, even a PA amp), it will slay many a good tube amp. It's that good....
The comparison to a Marshall JMP 1971 might be one of the more interesting bits in the video, from about 18:20.

I believe the Revival Drive is pretty much The State of the Art in alalog emulation of tube amps. They also have the Compact version with fewer features - and that isn't exactly cheap either. There's others out there, too, that do pretty well.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-15-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Isn't that for the V5?
My bad - old age setting in...

My first-edition "blue-light" (no Infinium auto-bias/tube-monitoring circuit) V22 has an Eminence Swamp Thang and a full set of Preferred Series (available from thetubestore.com) tubes, which in combination give it the power and depth of a 50-60W 2x12" combo (this one'll hang with my '65 Super RI and '80s Randall RB-120 - powerful company both). Only problem here is that it's heavy; while not quite in the Twin Reverb/AC30 category it scales in somewhere in the low/mid-50's - not a bad thing considering its rock-solid construction (these guys use anchored machine screws throughout - some uber-high-end boutique amps don't even do that) - but if weight is a consideration (as it's rapidly becoming for me with the big seven-o just a couple years away) you might want to go with the similarly-voiced (and substantially lighter) Cannabis Rex; while I've never used them myself they get a lot of love from the surf crowd, as a go-to first mod for the final-run "blackface Twin-clone" Fender Frontman 212R (been thinking of installing a set in my own Frontman), and if you're interested I'd check out some of their social media sites...
Old 05-15-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
I know this subject has probably been debated to death beyond hell but what do you guys prefer, solid state or tube? are tube amps really a hassle because they require more maintenance, tubes having to be replaced etc.?

What type of amp is also better for use of pedals (BOSS pedals to be exact)?

One of my favorite amps I've played through is the Fender DRRI. I love the way it sounds. On the other hand, I have back issues and I'm all about lightweight simplicity. So I have a Fender Champion 20 that I like a lot for practice. My son has the Champion 40 and I wouldn't hesitate to gig with it.

They are lightweight and sound good IMO for solid state.

I do prefer the response and warmth of a tube amp. Not so much that I'll break my back to play to a room full of people who'd never know the difference though. In my bar gigging days, I realized most patrons are only concerned if it's too loud or not loud enough. Musicians have commented on tone which is to be expected. The average audience member isn't so discerning.

If I'm using dirt/OD pedals, I definitely prefer tube.

Both have their uses and it really comes down to: what are you most happy with when balancing tone, maintenance, and ease of transport?
Old 05-15-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
One of my favorite amps I've played through is the Fender DRRI. I love the way it sounds. On the other hand, I have back issues and I'm all about lightweight simplicity....

...it really comes down to: what are you most happy with when balancing tone, maintenance, and ease of transport?
Got your amp right here:

Choice of either blackface or '62 blonde/oxblood livery (with Jensen or Celestion neo speakers respectively), scalable power levels (down to 0.2W), at 23 pounds not too much heavier than the Champion 40 (and half the weight of the tube version), and substantially cheaper than the '65 RI. Frankly, I've been seriously considering unloading my '65 Super RI (a real boat anchor at 65 pounds ) in favor of the Twin version: I can use the extra clean headroom the higher power offers as well as the sonic spread of the 2x12" cab, I can drop it to 5W for home/coffeehouse use or 12W for band practice, and the 33-pound weight is one-third lighter than my 100W Frontman 212R "big-house" amp - besides, I've been in love with the '62 cosmetics since I saw a blonde (non-reverb) Twin-Amp at a schoolyard dance as a kid, and with a replacement '63 logo and a set of cream barrel knobs it's be a perfect complement for my White Falcon...
Old 05-15-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
My bad - old age setting in...

My first-edition "blue-light" (no Infinium auto-bias/tube-monitoring circuit) V22 has an Eminence Swamp Thang...

...but if weight is a consideration (as it's rapidly becoming for me with the big seven-o just a couple years away) you might want to go with the similarly-voiced (and substantially lighter) Cannabis Rex...
Yes, a five pound difference! Add that to the forty-two pounds of the amp with a stock speaker and it adds up, especially since I have a few years on you!

BTW, I know this is hard to describe, but what kind of tonal change or improvement would you say the replacement speaker buys you?

Thanks.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Both!

I personally like both tube amps and some solid state amp offerings, but it really depends on the musical genre that you are playing. They offer different benefits in my experience.

If I am playing blues of rock from my youth, nothing compares to the warm euphonic cleans or overdriven sounds of a tube amp. As I have gotten older size and weight has become more important to me. Throwing heavy gear in the back of your car and schlepping it in and out of some place is not something that I look forward to.

This is my small (17” x 17” x 9.5”), light weight (35 lb.), 40 watt, 6L6 tube, 1 x 12” combination amp. To reduce the size and weight, I gave up on have a tube based spring reverb and a larger output transformer. I use a small reverb pedal in the effects loop instead. This amp is touch sensitive, capable of both Blackface and Tweed tones as well as a variety of overdriven tones as well.

I also have a small (15.75” x 14” x 11.5”), light weight (26 lb.), 100 watt, 1 x 10”, solid state, combination amp. It produces, warm sounding, musical sounding cleans and has a very flexible EQ. I use this amp to play solo jazz but it could be used to play any clean genre like country as well. I like its fast attack and warm musical tone. It has plenty of volume to play over a drUmmer as well.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:27 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys you all have certainly given me a lot to think about. My local store has a couple of these Strauss amps in stock.

https://www.jademcaustralia.com.au/c...12286305173591

I'm going in tomorrow to try one out and see what it sounds like... I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing what this valve magic is all about I keep hearing of =P
Old 05-15-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
...I know this is hard to describe, but what kind of tonal change or improvement would you say the replacement speaker buys you?
I've only used it in conjunction with the upgraded/rebiased tubes, which in combination (as I said above) give it the power and depth of a 50-60W 2x12" combo: more extended "feel-it-in-your-gut" low end, smoother highs, fat punchy mids - and, thanks to the 102 dB efficiency rating, a substantial increase in volume and headroom. Here's the factory spec sheet, including response curve:

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/sp...el=Swamp_Thang

As I said, the Swamp Thang is heavy - not quite in the JBL/EV class, but a handful nevertheless - so if you're installing it in a low/mid-powered amp (35 watts or less), using more than one in a higher-powered rig, and/or want to keep the overall weight down, the Cannabis Rex has similar characteristics (and a lower price) and might be a better choice:

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/sp...l=Cannabis_Rex

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 05-16-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:37 PM

Thanks, Steve.

I hadn't planned to swap out the speaker, but if I do I'll probably go for the Cannabis Rex.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-16-2021, 06:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys you all have certainly given me a lot to think about. My local store has a couple of these Strauss amps in stock.

https://www.jademcaustralia.com.au/c...12286305173591

I'm going in tomorrow to try one out and see what it sounds like... I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing what this valve magic is all about I keep hearing of =P
Those Strauss amps are really good. You should be pleasantly surprised.

Steve
Old 05-16-2021, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I personally like both tube amps and some solid state amp offerings, but it really depends on the musical genre that you are playing. They offer different benefits in my experience.

If I am playing blues of rock from my youth, nothing compares to the warm euphonic cleans or overdriven sounds of a tube amp. As I have gotten older size and weight has become more important to me. Throwing heavy gear in the back of your car and schlepping it in and out of some place is not something that I look forward to.

This is my small (17” x 17” x 9.5”), light weight (35 lb.), 40 watt, 6L6 tube, 1 x 12” combination amp. To reduce the size and weight, I gave up on have a tube based spring reverb and a larger output transformer. I use a small reverb pedal in the effects loop instead. This amp is touch sensitive, capable of both Blackface and Tweed tones as well as a variety of overdriven tones as well.

I also have a small (15.75” x 14” x 11.5”), light weight (26 lb.), 100 watt, 1 x 10”, solid state, combination amp. It produces, warm sounding, musical sounding cleans and has a very flexible EQ. I use this amp to play solo jazz but it could be used to play any clean genre like country as well. I like its fast attack and warm musical tone. It has plenty of volume to play over a drUmmer as well.
Redplate is certainly a highly regarded amps congrats

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-16-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Steve.

I hadn't planned to swap out the speaker, but if I do I'll probably go for the Cannabis Rex.
On a whim, I put a $50 offer on eBay for a 12" Cannabis Rex removed from a new amp, not expecting it to be accepted. It was, so I have a Cannabis Rex on the way!

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-16-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I own a slew of killer tube amps, I'm not talking about things like Bugeras and Princeton Reverb circuit board based tube amps which are fine amps. No, I'm talking about vintage (handwired 50's and 60's vintage Fenders and Ampegs which are tuned up to spec) and boutique (Tophat, Victoria, Clark (hand-wired amps that cost a fortune and sound great), but, I also have a solid state pedal called an Origin Effects Revival Drive, and when it's plugged into any good SS Power amp (yes, even a PA amp), it will slay many a good tube amp. It's that good. It feels and sounds like a killer vintage tube amp and it gets the vintage tube amp tones in spades (ie Marshall, Vox, Fender 5E3). It is amazing box, and has changed my opinion about solid state. And if I had one of the aforementioned little production amps like the 22 watt Bugera or a Princeton Reverb, I would stick one of these in front of it, to get a killer gig worthy tone, without breaking the bank on a vintage or boutique amp. I use it with a handwired Princeton Clone and it actually sounds better than some of my vintage amps!!! Solid state at it's finest!!! And although it's expensive box thex make a single channel version of it that sounds just as good. To be clear it is not a modeler, it's a pedal that uses analog solid state components that mimic all aspects of tube amps, including things like rectifier sag, and ghost notes. I wish this company would build this into a amp with a solid state power section and a decent speaker.

Well you had me go down the rabbit hole on this, pedal seems to short change it as a description. Over two hours looking into it, just from what I hear in the vids, it seems to be That Good. I would love to see the schematic on how they did things, they seemed to go down a route I would like to take and added things I would not have bothered that I am changing my mind about now. Shame it is that expensive but for a working musicians that travels and can not cart around a lot of stuff it might be the thing for them. I am pretty impressed with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars