The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2021, 11:28 PM

Red face Best positioning of amp

Hi All: I am open to suggestions as to how to maximize my gain levels on guitar and/or amp when using a 40 watt monitor amp. I have an acoustic electric guitar. When I practice at home I never have feedback issues, but in my church setting I am much more susceptible to feedback and can't seem to get quite enough volume to hear myself.

At home I have my amp "flat to the floor", about 7-8 ft away from me (to the side) and slightly behind my back.

In the other setting I have the amp about 2 feet away and tilted up, slightly behind me. Is this 2nd positioning my problem, you think??

Thanks for your suggestions, thoughts... WL
Old 05-14-2021, 04:20 AM

Do you use a sound hole cover on stage?
Old 05-14-2021, 04:44 AM

If using it as a monitor, why not put the amp directly in front of you. A guy in our band has his monstrous electric guitar amp behind him and he can't hear it unless it's really cranked. We mic it and use IEMs - problem solved. In my experience, the best way to use an amp as a monitor is to have to right in front of you, facing you. If you can get it up off the floor, even better.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:27 AM

I recall Tommy Emmanuel saying that he points his amp away from him, to the side of the stage-although his reasoning is that it's better for sound dispersion than being pointed directly at the audience. I guess that would also help to cure any feedback issues, although he also uses a soundhole cover which I would definitely recommend. A Yamaha LL16 I owned arrived with a rubber soundhole insert which worked well.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:29 AM

Each room/environment you'll play in, will react differently with feed back.

and you're probably louder in that setting than you are at home..

Assuming the amp has a notch filter (or anti feedback control like a LoudBox) and changing that doesn't help, nor EQ changes, I would for sure try a sound hole cover as previously mentioned.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-14-2021, 05:34 AM

Two feet is going to be too close coming from the front or the back. If space allows, I'd try positioning the amp to the side, preferably on a stand, angled up to aim it at your head. Try the peghead side to keep the speaker furthest from the guitar body.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno SK View Post
Hi All: I am open to suggestions as to how to maximize my gain levels on guitar and/or amp when using a 40 watt monitor amp. I have an acoustic electric guitar. When I practice at home I never have feedback issues, but in my church setting I am much more susceptible to feedback and can't seem to get quite enough volume to hear myself.

At home I have my amp "flat to the floor", about 7-8 ft away from me (to the side) and slightly behind my back.

In the other setting I have the amp about 2 feet away and tilted up, slightly behind me. Is this 2nd positioning my problem, you think??

Thanks for your suggestions, thoughts... WL
Hi WL

I usually run it waist-high, 4-5 feet behind me, tilted up toward my shoulders. I also have it on it's own feed from the guitar-chain (via a passive direct box) with the XLR out to the PA.

That way I can adjust the amp even during a performance without affecting the PA.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-15-2021, 07:47 AM

Something I've experienced before, it's possible that having the monitor amp behind you may be allowing vocal mics on stage to pick up the signal from the monitor which could create a feedback loop.

In the past when I used two FOH and a wedge monitor, the monitor was always in front of me and angled slightly from either side of my mic stand. In most scenarios that worked for me. In agreement with a couple of posts ahead of me, there were places where I used a sound hole cover occasionally if speaker placement didn't do the trick or required space was not available.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:41 AM

Put the amp on a chair or a stool and get it as close to your ear level as possible. Have it come to you from the side so you don't interfere with the singers or other musicians. You could try using some kind of headphone or in ear monitor, but I do not like either of those options.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:09 AM

Feedback is generally
a proximity/frequency thing.
If its behind you your probably
turning it up to much to he able
to hear it. Infront of you
you may not turn it up so
loud but it will be closer to
the soundhole and will Feedback
more. Finding and cutting the offending frequency will go a long way to curing your issues.
Sidewash works better as long
as you dont turn into the speaker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
best positioning of amp