The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2021, 08:55 PM

Default Tonedexter/Source Audio EQ2 wow!

I have found THE BEST single-source plugged in acoustic guitar tone that I can conceive of. I installed a Dazzo 60 sbt in my Langejans RGC-6. I also ordered this pickup with the Sunnadio on-board Tonedriver preamp (which I highly recommend). So I am starting with a stellar pickup/preamp combination. I have the red magic box otherwise known as Tonedexter. I just purchased the Source Audio EQ2 to run in the effects loop of the Tonedexter. It is easy to dial in a studio quality mic'd guitar sound with this combination. Add in a little reverb with the Hall of Fame 2. I am going into a QSC CP8 powered speaker. I am soooo impressed with this setup. I have been using a Tech 21 Q-strip in the effects loop. The Q-strip is a fabulous semi-parametric DI pedal. But I would constantly have to tweak it for my different guitars. The SA EQ2 intrigued me with storable presets. I made a preset for my Langejans. Yesterday I made another preset for my Huss and Dalton equipped with a JME Ultrasonic pickup (which I also highly recommend). Another for a nylon string Cordoba mini with an undersaddle pickup. Another for my Godin Multiac Grand Concert Duet Ambiance. With all the guitars I am able to get a pristine sound. After making and storing the presets, it is then just the touch of a button or on-board foot switch. With the Godin, I bypass the Tonedexter. With the advanced pickup electronics it has, it doesn't work with or need a I.R. wavemap. Just some good EQ. The great thing is I have just touched the tip of the iceberg with what the SA EQ2 can do. I am still trying to figure out how to get to the extended range presets without plugging into my computer. I haven't tried using the parametric mode yet either. But with ten bands of graphic eq right there, it is very easy to dial in a terrific sound. What amazes me is how natural, microphonic, and clean and clear it sounds with the different guitars with different pickups. I can make my Huss and Dalton OM sound like my guitar only louder. Playing around with the EQ, I can make it sound like a dreadnaught. Both pedals in their own right are incredible, but using them together is where it is at. I'm looking forward to learning more features of the SA EQ2.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:00 PM

Do you know that you can capture the EQ curve of your pedal into the Tonedexter and free your board from one pedal?

Instead of using a mic for training, just split your guitar signal. Send one to Tonedexter guitar input, the other to your EQ pedal then use a DI to feed the mic input of Tonedexter (you might need to engage the attenuation pad on the DI to reach mic level)... train your TD and save the wavemap for your Godin.

You would save one pedal, two cables and complex manipulation when switching guitars...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-12-2021, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Do you know that you can capture the EQ curve of your pedal into the Tonedexter and free your board from one pedal?

Instead of using a mic for training, just split your guitar signal. Send one to Tonedexter guitar input, the other to your EQ pedal then use a DI to feed the mic input of Tonedexter (you might need to engage the attenuation pad on the DI to reach mic level)... train your TD and save the wavemap for your Godin.

You would save one pedal, two cables and complex manipulation when switching guitars...
This may not work. ToneDexter needs the "mic" input to be slightly delayed from the pickup signal. James May mentioned something like 100usec in a recent post, so it's possible that the EQ box has that small bit of of latency, but it may not. Worth a try tho. ToneDexter as a general Kemper-style IR capture device...
Old 05-12-2021, 11:58 PM

I'll definitely try it when I get a chance. I can use the Tech 21 Q-strip in bypass as a DI into the mic input of the Tonedexter. It can't hurt to try. I don't think it would produce a natural sounding wavemap though. When I do it, I'll post back with results.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
This may not work. ToneDexter needs the "mic" input to be slightly delayed from the pickup signal. James May mentioned something like 100usec in a recent post, so it's possible that the EQ box has that small bit of of latency, but it may not. Worth a try tho. ToneDexter as a general Kemper-style IR capture device...
Source Audio pedals are all digital right?

So there is at least 2000usec input/ouput latency, I guess.

my 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-13-2021, 11:32 PM

So today I figured out how to get to the extended range presets using just the pedal's onboard hardware, without having to use a computer or midi. (To be honest I am not very tech savvy with computers). That is very exciting because it will allow me to create and save different eq presets for all of my guitars. Hopefully Saturday I will have some time to try Cuki's idea about creating a wavemap with the Tonedexter for my Godin Multiac using a DI into the TD and eq going in. There are so many possibilities available these days that did not exist ten years ago. Thanks for the suggestion Cuki.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification