The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-02-2019, 10:49 PM

Default Rainsong eval.... 1-1/2 month in.

AMAZING. That's the short version.

H-WS1000N2 (Who the HELL came up with these model numbers anyways.... took me a week to memorize that.)

Now I will be honest, look at my sig line and see that I have a weak spot for wood, Martins at that. (I live 25 minutes from the factory) I have 6, down from 7, one made just for me. And, in the quiet of my office there is something very pretty about them, and they play very easily. What I don't like, and it's probably to a large extent due to my skill level or lack thereof, is when you plug them in, and or start pushing them. The sound quality goes down. You can put a $5000 mike in front of the sound hole, but that's not really an option at a party in a tent with 200 drunks.

In contrast, the Rainsong is OK in the quiet room, and it's a little more work to play it, although it seems to be loosening up a little which sounds like an odd thing to say about a CF. But, plugged in rocking away the Rainsong gets BETTER. That guitar through my system (Harbinger MLS800/900 combo with some Reverb pedal) just ROCKS. I'm not afraid to just let it rip in some songs. The sound stays crisp and clear. And I know I'm not going to break it.

Not to mention the worry about the thing itself. It has been across the Atlantic 8 times already (that's what I do for a living, drive airplanes), it sits on a pile of luggage in a hotel van, and gets generally banged around in it's bag (although said bag is a $$$ Access gig bag) and it floats around in my campers when I travel......and every time I take it out of the bag it's in tune or close...... Bullet proof.

I love this thing.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5402 copy.jpg (28.3 KB, 122 views)
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog

Last edited by oscarvan; 12-03-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:56 AM

Great evaluation, I like reading about this
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-03-2019, 06:27 AM

Cool report. I have CF for the same reason as you, although I stay on this side of the Atlantic these days. The Access gig bag has been awesome for protecting my CF guitars for the last 4-5 years that I have used them. Just yesterday a crewmember told me I might want to bring my guitar up front in the van because the driver casually “tossed” it in the van. I was able to say he could paddle a canoe with it and it would be fine. So much better for what we do, not worrying about the instrument but having it available for our downtime on trips.
Congrats on that one and the inbound CF.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your review. Rainsong's WS is an amazing guitar....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-03-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
the driver casually “tossed” it in the van
Did he get his dollar?
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-03-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Just yesterday a crewmember told me I might want to bring my guitar up front in the van because the driver casually “tossed” it in the van. I was able to say he could paddle a canoe with it and it would be fine.
"Be careful! You'll break your van!"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber