The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-07-2020, 08:03 PM

Default TC Helicon Play Acoustic - Mic Stand Mount w Switch 6?

Hello friends,

I plan to buy a switch 3 to add easier looping controls. However, I am considering using a switch 6 on the floor to also recreate the units up/down/hit controls, and having the Play Acoustic closer to my hands, say with a mic stand tray or something. I figure this way I can tweak settings without bending over. Anyone tried this? Opinions? I'm guess I'm a bit concerned with stability and a mess of cables to tidy up.

like this... https://www.gatorframeworks.com/prod...gfw-shelf0909/
Old 04-07-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Legion View Post
Hello friends,

I plan to buy a switch 3 to add easier looping controls. However, I am considering using a switch 6 on the floor to also recreate the units up/down/hit controls, and having the Play Acoustic closer to my hands, say with a mic stand tray or something. I figure this way I can tweak settings without bending over. Anyone tried this? Opinions? I'm guess I'm a bit concerned with stability and a mess of cables to tidy up.

like this... https://www.gatorframeworks.com/prod...gfw-shelf0909/
Yeah, there are a lot of cables with the Play Acoustic. The unit itself has some heft to it, as well. The only thing I don't like about my Play Acoustic is the fact that you have to go "menu diving" to make changes. As such, I use mine as a "set it once, then don't mess with it" other than using the foot switches to change harmony settings I have pre-set.

I understand what you intend to do, but I think a stand for the Play Acoustic would be more solid than a tray connected to a mic stand.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I understand what you intend to do, but I think a stand for the Play Acoustic would be more solid than a tray connected to a mic stand.
Thanks, Cap’n! So, I decided to buy the tray from amazon just to try it before plunging into the switch 6. I grabbed this to support some of the bulk of cables.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/12029

It actually works great. I’ll share a pic. Edit: You were right to be weary of heft. I did have to try a few different configs to stabilize the stand and allow me to swing the boom and not lose everything. The tray itself is very solid.

Edit: https://imgur.com/a/IG5cQCH (you may have to zoom, took this pic for another reason)

Last edited by Adam Legion; 04-11-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Cap’n! So, I decided to buy the tray from amazon just to try it before plunging into the switch 6. I grabbed this to support some of the bulk of cables.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/12029

It actually works great. I’ll share a pic.

Edit: https://imgur.com/a/IG5cQCH (you may have to zoom, took this pic for another reason)
Adam, does your Taylor have the Es-2. If so, how do you like it with the Play Acoustic?
Old 04-11-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Adam, does your Taylor have the Es-2. If so, how do you like it with the Play Acoustic?
Yes and I like it very much. The K24 ES2 sounded great with the Fishman Loudbox Performer (old pre 2010 model) already with just a bit of reverb. The TCH Body Rez is icing on the cake. I’d definitely recommend that stand alone pedal now having heard it.

Notably, I’ve only used it in this set up and my only pedal comparison is an old Yamaha Magicbox, which I didn’t like (cool effects an stuff though). I still use the ES2 and Loudbox EQs to scoop the mids. I will test out the 414 soon. It’s in El Cajon, CA getting ES2 upgrade.

And, of course, it’s nice to have all the reverb, delay, chorus, etc in the same unit. You can program both presets and hit controls for everything, or just on/off with a Switch 3/6 if you have one. I don’t perform live so these are all just toys mostly. A few flange effects really are fun. Mostly, I prefer to set up 2 quality mics and record in every room in the home (homemade reverb dial in). I’m not a coffee shop star or a sound engineer.

Looper is a fun way to practice scales and far easier to noodle with for songwriting, compared to dual mic recording.

And you didn’t ask this, but the Play Acoustic does nothing for my voice. I still suck. I think my onboard pickups are shot

Last edited by Adam Legion; 04-11-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Yes and I like it very much. The K24 ES2 sounded great with the Fishman Loudbox Performer (old pre 2010 model) already with just a bit of reverb. The TCH Body Rez is icing on the cake. I’d definitely buy that stand alone pedal now having heard it.

Notably, I’ve only used it in this set up and my only pedal comparison is an old Yamaha Magicbox, which I didn’t like (cool effects an stuff though). I still use the ES2 and Loudbox EQs to scoop the mids. I will test out the 414 soon. It’s in El Cajon, CA getting ES2 upgrade.

And, of course, it’s nice to have all the reverb, delay, chorus, etc in the same unit. You can program both presets and hit controls for everything, or just on/off with a Switch 3/6 if you have one. I don’t perform live so these are all just toys mostly. A few flange effects really are fun. Mostly, I prefer to set up 2 quality mics and record in every room in the home (homemade reverb dial in). I’m not a coffee shop star or a sound engineer.

Looper is a fun way to practice scales and far easier to noodle with for songwriting, compared to dual mic recording.

And you didn’t ask this, but the Play Acoustic does nothing for my voice. I still suck. I think my onboard pickups are shot
Thank you. On board vocal pickups - that’s funny!

Which of the bodyrez do you use and at what setting?
Old 04-12-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
. Which of the bodyrez do you use and at what setting?
I’ve mostly used the Body Rez 1 preset with no modifications. I’ve messed with all of them a bit, but not a lot yet. I’ve only owned the Play Acoustic since I’ve been COVID-19 quarantined.

I’ve a Martin 000-17e on order from the factory (I live a few miles from Nazareth PA), so I’m eager to try a different guitar (mahogany body, spruce top, smaller body) and pick up (Fishman Matrix VT Enhanced - NT1). I’m wondering if different settings would appeal to me, or even if I like/dislike the Body Rez effect more overall.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I’ve mostly used the Body Rez 1 preset with no modifications. I’ve messed with all of them a bit, but not a lot yet. I’ve only owned the Play Acoustic since I’ve been COVID-19 quarantined.

I’ve a Martin 000-17e on order from the factory (I live a few miles from Nazareth PA), so I’m eager to try a different guitar (mahogany body, spruce top, smaller body) and pick up (Fishman Matrix VT Enhanced - NT1). I’m wondering if different settings would appeal to me, or even if I like/dislike the Body Rez effect more overall.
Congrats on the new guitar. Sound great. On BodyRez 1, are you at 10 or some lower number?

Hope you and your family are safe and healthy up there.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:06 AM

Cool

Quote:
On BodyRez 1, are you at 10 or some lower number?

(as in the minimum number of characters a post can be, hence my parantheticals)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
pedals, play acoustic