The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-07-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
Sent you a PM
Sorry, not seeing anything...
Old 04-07-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
So I am tracking as follows starting from the right.

looper/reverb/chorus/tremelo/delay/octave/tuner/PADI

I probably won't have all these on the board at one time. Does this look correct everyone?
Pedal placement can be subjective. That said, that order is likely to work very well.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:

I probably won't have all these on the board at one time. Does this look correct everyone?
If you're using the FX loop it would be (for me):

PADI, (send) looper, octave, term, delay, chorus, reverb, PADI (return) - tuner on the PADI jack out unless you're using it as a mute.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Sorry, not seeing anything...
Hey Doug,

I'm just not clear on which input on the PADI gets use for what. If the XLR DI Out connects everything to the PA/Amp, does the TRS plug into the FX Loop input and then to the first pedal? Then various pedals are connected with the small cords and finally the output of the last pedal, the cord goes into the Output on the PADI? The Input on the PADI is where I plug in the guitar.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Doug,

I'm just not clear on which input on the PADI gets use for what. If the XLR DI Out connects everything to the PA/Amp, does the TRS plug into the FX Loop input and then to the first pedal? Then various pedals are connected with the small cords and finally the output of the last pedal, the cord goes into the Output on the PADI? The Input on the PADI is where I plug in the guitar.
I don't have a PADI, but this would be the same as almost any preamp, they nearly all have these features. You plug the guitar into the guitar input. Plug an XLR mic cable into the DI out, and run that into your PA, etc OR plug a guitar cable into the 1/4 inch output. Plug the TRS end of the insert cable into the jack labeled "FX Loop". The insert cable has two wires coming out of it with standard 1/4 inch jacks. One of them has the signal coming from your preamp. plug that into the input of your first effects pedal. Chain as many effects as you want, and the plug the other side of the insert cable into the output of your final cable.

Here's an example diagram. This uses a different preamp that has separate in-out jacks for the effects loop. Yours would be the same, except that you need the special insert cable because the PADI has combined the input/output into a single jack to save space.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't have a PADI, but this would be the same as almost any preamp, they nearly all have these features. You plug the guitar into the guitar input. Plug an XLR mic cable into the DI out, and run that into your PA, etc OR plug a guitar cable into the 1/4 inch output. Plug the TRS end of the insert cable into the jack labeled "FX Loop". The insert cable has two wires coming out of it with standard 1/4 inch jacks. One of them has the signal coming from your preamp. plug that into the input of your first effects pedal. Chain as many effects as you want, and the plug the other side of the insert cable into the output of your final cable.

Here's an example diagram. This uses a different preamp that has separate in-out jacks for the effects loop. Yours would be the same, except that you need the special insert cable because the PADI has combined the input/output into a single jack to save space.

Cleared it up! Thanks Doug.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:58 AM

Default Para DI Pedal Position on a Pedal Board

Quote:

As I understand it the general rule of thumb is to start with tuner, then processors (pedals etc that manipulate the original signal like compressors, overdrive, distortion, octave pedals etc) then follow with delay based effects (chorus, flanger, delay), end with reverb before sending everything out via the DI.

This is a rule of thumb and if a different order works for you then go for it. It is worth trying out different placements, in particular octave pedals and compressors. Generally I would never put reverb so early in the chain especially with an octave pedal after as there is a risk of adding low reverbs to a signal marking the end result very muddy.

What’s more, if using an fx loop I would still put the tuner first to eliminate signal spikes in any of the other units when plugging in etc and then everything else on the loop.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-08-2020, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
It's a pretty standard thing to do and "insert" leads of many lengths are available, including with right-angled jacks throughout. Place all your pedals on an imaginary (or real) pedalboard with priority given to accessing the 1/4" in and XLR out of the Baggs, then the TRS ("stereo") jack will go in the insert point (FX loop) of the Baggs, one of the other TS ("mono") jacks will go in the input of the first of your other pedals, link jacks will connect them in series, and the other insert jack will take it back to the Baggs and out the XLR.

Guitar plugs into the Baggs input and off you go. If there is no signal you may need to swap over the TS jacks if you've got them the wrong way round.
This is probably the best explanation.
Your y cord has 3 ends. the jack with
the two lines (trs) plugs into the para
di effects loop the two other single line
jacks (ts) one goes into the input of
your tuner the othet goes to the output
of your looper.All other pedals are connected in to out with the short cords.
the para has two outputs. the xlr is the di out which goes to the mixing board.
The 1/4 inch output on the para is designed to send an inst level signal to a guitar amp.
If your not using an amp than nothing
gets plugged into this 1/4 inch output jack on the para.
Your guitar plugs into the input.
The other option if your tuner is a muting
tuner would be guitar to the tuner to the
para input. that way everything is muted
when you tune

Like said above if nothing works then
just reverse the cords.

Last edited by varmonter; 04-08-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
This is probably the best explanation.
Your y cord has 3 ends. the jack with
the two lines (trs) plugs into the para
di effects loop the two other single line
jacks (ts) one goes into the input of
your tuner the othet goes to the output
of your looper.All other pedals are connected in to out with the short cords.
the para has two outputs. the xlr is the di out which goes to the mixing board.
The 1/4 inch output on the para is designed to send an inst level signal to a guitar amp.
If your not using an amp than nothing
gets plugged into this 1/4 inch output jack on the para.
Your guitar plugs into the input.
The other option if your tuner is a muting
tuner would be guitar to the tuner to the
para input. that way everything is muted
when you tune..
Perfect! Thanks much.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Since the Para DI has the XLR output jack sticking straight up I use a mic cable with an angled XLR jack to connect to the Para DI.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
Since the Para DI has the XLR output jack sticking straight up I use a mic cable with an angled XLR jack to connect to the Para DI.
Good idea. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification