The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-05-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Many of us think ToneDexter sounds best with an SM57. :-)
Hi md

I've tried it with everything from SM-57/58 to solid condenser mics. I like my guitar to sound like my guitar, and the Shure KSM 44 or my AKG 414 certainly surpass the quality of any waveform I pulled with an SM-58 or 57.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Funny! I assume it’s because it’s the mic we all used before the myriad of pickup options came flooding in. The sound we’re used to?
Hi md

I'd agree with that assessment. Molly has played live Bluegrass gigs with that mic more than about any other over the years. And it's also the sound the fans are accustomed to.

I'm guessing on most of her albums she's not using an SM-57.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 AM

I have the K&K in my J-45TV and had it in the Martin HD-28V I used to own. If I'm at home and want to plug in to my Ultrasound amp I don't need anything between the guitar and the amp. Playing out and plugging into a PA, I always did. The sound guy came close to running out of gain. I went through a few preamps. The first one was the Baggs Para DI which I liked. I thought I wanted a Venue DI for the added tuner and boost switch. I didn't care for it at all. I bought the K&K Pure XLR and it was fine except I couldn't really get the metalic midrange out (probably operator error), I then went with, and still have the Red Eye. I like it just fine except I want more EQ features at my fingertips. I got rid of everything except the Red Eye and got another LR Baggs Para DI. The Baggs does it for me. It is warm and the EQ is great. The Para DI is my go to pre-amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification