The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Definition of a musician: Someone who hauls $5,000 worth of equipment 50 miles in a $500 car to play $50 gig!
Well...we only drive about 5 miles and don't often make the $50 so perhaps it balances out!
Old 03-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I found a link to this tutorial video elsewhere:

Full disclosure, I haven't tried the apps. It assumes you have a Mac or PC available. But being able to capture good mics through your interface will help the audio part of things. Obviously, for the video you want something better than a webcam too, but I'd sacrifice some video quality for nice clear audio, myself.
Hey man thanks! I'll check it out today. Really appreciate it.

I, too, would rank audio as more important video.

Facebook livestreams are popping up all over the place in my extended circle, and I'm beginning to see more whose quality is acceptable (by my suddenly rigorous standards). Here's one from last night, I'm going to ask him what he's using. Whatever he's using for the last steps of injecting it into Facebook, it sounds like the initial feed is just a mic in the room.

FWIW compared to last night, what I'm seeing on the replay this morning is same audio quality and very, very slightly less video quality. And his volumes were a little low at first, so after comments he boosted them. Singing starts around 5 minutes, he was fully boosted by 7 minutes for sure.

https://www.facebook.com/JoeDownerMu...0885999766436/
Old 03-21-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

So that guy I linked to, Joe Downer, has already replied and here we go:

So I’m just running my mic into my mixer to add a little bit of reverb, and then to my L1. I have a Shure MV88 that plugs directly into the lightning port on my iPhone. It has a really nice stereo sound. That’s it! I try to keep it simple

So my vocals and guitar are coming out of the L1, and the MV88 picks it up in the room and essentially supersedes the regular iPhone mic

And I take it he's using his iPhone for video.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:55 PM

Looks interesting. Simple but it works. Also looks like he’s using the half stack method on his Bose L1.

I’m also looking at doing these live-streams. I think it’s going to be the new normal for the foreseeable future. Good luck to all.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 03-21-2020, 04:54 PM

I did one last week. I plugged into my Bose S1 which was off camera to the side of an iPad. Several musician friends said it was the best sounding audio they’ve heard and they’ve watched a bunch. I did have the reverb too high on the vocal though. I’m doing another show on FB Monday. iPad was a recent 5th generation regular iPad. Nothing fancy.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I did one last week. I plugged into my Bose S1 which was off camera to the side of an iPad. Several musician friends said it was the best sounding audio they’ve heard and they’ve watched a bunch. I did have the reverb too high on the vocal though. I’m doing another show on FB Monday. iPad was a recent 5th generation regular iPad. Nothing fancy.
What software? GarageBand?

I have one of the latest iPads with a fast cpu and big
SSD I use for GPS, but I'm not accustomed to using
apple software.

-Mike
Old 03-23-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Responded to a new thread about this, and thought I'd copy my reply here:

I'm now trying this, which means I ordered it but who knows when it will get here

https://www.guitarcenter.com/IK-Mult...#productDetail

Here's a short to-the-point video that explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqPiXpcd1I

I think this will do the trick, but I'll find out.

Many of the sudden-livestreamers around here used their gigging setups and planted mics in front of them--the MV88 would work great in that setup. The only hitch is, that's if you're off in the woods or have understanding neighbors. I can't do that in my apartment, so I'm trying the mixer approach as well.

In fact since it's just me with voice and guitar, I'm using my Boss VE-8, which has many output options including a mono 1/4-inch, perfect for the iRig2. A surprising amount of mixers have USB output options--including my Yamaha MG10XU (as does the VE-8). But that gets into drivers and stuff, trying to avoid all that.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Additional routes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaQFY0WVsks

Haven't done any of this myself yet, but another video I saw said the direct-cable options (the last two in this video) can make it very hard to control the signal without overwhelming the phone.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:15 PM

OK so he's basically plugging into his L1 and then using the phone for everything with the Shure MV88. I tired that mic and wasn't overly impressed with it for the $150 price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
So that guy I linked to, Joe Downer, has already replied and here we go:

So I’m just running my mic into my mixer to add a little bit of reverb, and then to my L1. I have a Shure MV88 that plugs directly into the lightning port on my iPhone. It has a really nice stereo sound. That’s it! I try to keep it simple

So my vocals and guitar are coming out of the L1, and the MV88 picks it up in the room and essentially supersedes the regular iPhone mic

And I take it he's using his iPhone for video.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Just a head's up, I'm still doing a FB livestream but have postponed it to next Sunday. Will let folks now how it turned out and I plan to post an excerpt for y'all. I could do it with just my VE-8 but if I have time between now and then I may try my T1 Tonematch.

Be safe all.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

I'm part of a team trying to set up a virtual open mic. We are on our third platform. What works great for video chat is so far abysmal sonically. Even turning off the features designed for great meeting audio, the apps have very aggressive compresion built in. The video part works great.

So far Zoom and Google Hangouts have flunked. I'm working with technically astute folks. Back and forth between two people is fine.

And if you are looking to buy video gear, good luck. Every church in America is trying to do the same. A lot of stuff is back ordered.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2020, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I'm part of a team trying to set up a virtual open mic. We are on our third platform. What works great for video chat is so far abysmal sonically. Even turning off the features designed for great meeting audio, the apps have very aggressive compresion built in. The video part works great.

So far Zoom and Google Hangouts have flunked. I'm working with technically astute folks. Back and forth between two people is fine.

And if you are looking to buy video gear, good luck. Every church in America is trying to do the same. A lot of stuff is back ordered.
Hey Br1ck, keep us up on what you find works. I've been messing with Zoom, and it's a mixed bag. Mark Hanson did a workshop over it last week, and I'd say it was more than adequate for teaching on my computer, with 30 people on. But a lot depends on people's connections. I can broadcast via zoom to another computer right here in the house, and it's excellent. But between an east coast friend with slow internet it was only marginally acceptable, even with just 2 of us. I'm not sure any platform can deal with that, but I'd be interested in what you come up with.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

Zoom can work. I’ve already hosted 3 open mic sessions with Zoom and I’m hosting another one tomorrow night. There are a number of tricks and tweaks that can help. Most of our attendees are in the same larger metro location, so that helps. It’s not ideal, but adequate. I assume you know only one person can have their mic active at a time. The key to hosting is to be quick with the mouse and the participant’s mute buttons. Knowing how to secure the meeting helps too.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

My little guitar circle group tried a Zoom virtual circle last night. There are things that need to be tweaked on Zoom to make it sound good. This video was VERY helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkG7yOTRIAk&t=328s

Rather than adding all kinds of hardware, along with to the Zoom tweaks, I simply added a USB mic, https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Meteor.../dp/B004MF39YS

The other 3 participants said my voice and guitar sounded really good and have all since ordered the Meteor mic.

So, things sounded and looked good AS LONG AS ONLY 1 PERSON WAS PLAYING AND SINGING. But as soon as we tried to either add guitar fills from another person, or, worse, tried to add harmony, things got bad. We are hoping Zoom has a tweak for this.

Steve
Old 04-06-2020, 08:16 AM

How did you capture vocals and guitar with the one mic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
My little guitar circle group tried a Zoom virtual circle last night. There are things that need to be tweaked on Zoom to make it sound good. This video was VERY helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkG7yOTRIAk&t=328s

Rather than adding all kinds of hardware, along with to the Zoom tweaks, I simply added a USB mic, https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Meteor.../dp/B004MF39YS

The other 3 participants said my voice and guitar sounded really good and have all since ordered the Meteor mic.

So, things sounded and looked good AS LONG AS ONLY 1 PERSON WAS PLAYING AND SINGING. But as soon as we tried to either add guitar fills from another person, or, worse, tried to add harmony, things got bad. We are hoping Zoom has a tweak for this.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification