The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I don't hate on either Gibson or Taylor, just didn't try one yet that I was really drawn to.

I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out various configs and names of Martin so far, I have yet to understand/study the Gibson or Taylor nomenclatures.

Local stores do have A LOT of guitars, they are typically locked up so one goes in and ask to try 2-4 different ones - I am even trying to understand which ones to ask for.

I really liked the way the D41 I tried sounded and handled, but I don't feel like paying a lot extra for all the pearl bling, but I guess a D35 is sort of similar?
Old 03-13-2020, 11:53 AM

Too many possibilities to mention. Forget all recommendations and try to play a as many as you can. If you decided to buy online make sure they have a good return policy.

If you are looking for a lifetime guitar do not rush the process. I feel in love with many guitars only to outgrow them or find out later there was something missing in them. I personally think it takes years to truly know what you want.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:56 AM

don't look at is as a lifetime guitar. Just find a guitar you will love for now and just maybe it will stick with you for a long time

my humble opinion would be an OM just find the maker that you like
Old 03-13-2020, 12:01 PM

You will need two guitars, it’s just the way it is

I know you’re looking for “The ONE”, but that is part of the journey and it will come in time.

You mentioned Yamaha. They are an awesome guitars that sound and play 2-3 times better than their price would have you believe.

May I suggest you consider picking up a new pair of Yamahas, a FG (Dread) and FS (Concert/000) series. I would go with the FG830 and the FS820. Or visa versa, FG820/FS830 (stay away from the 800s). This way you get two different sizes, tone woods, and quality that will cover a lot of territory (cover your basis if you will). It will help you decide what you are looking for

Use this pair as your mainstay, while you go on the search for the “ONE”.

Of course, you could always just get a Martin 000-18 and be done with it.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:12 PM

As you're kind of starting out again, don't spend a ton of money. Just get one guitar. Two will be a distraction. Get something for under $500 that feels easy to play, pay for a set up and a low action and just play the thing.

Once you've got some callouses on your fingers and you're playing a few songs then you'll have a much better idea of what you're looking for and you'll base it on what you want rather than on what you think you should have.

Then find a guitar that feels comfortable to play, sounds good to you and that you like the look of and play the heck out of it. It's through being played that it becomes "your" guitar.

Mark Twain
Old 03-13-2020, 12:53 PM

Arlington,

If your name indicates where you are in Virginia, then I recommend you visit Action Music in Falls Church. My son lives in Arlington, and he and I have visited Action Music a couple of times: first just to have a look and second to have them set up a Collings. Not a huge shop, but when we went there they had a nice selection of Huss and Daltons, Collings and Waterloos as well as some Gibsons and Martins. Just checked the website, and they list eight H&Ds, including a Road Series Dread under $3K. (The Road Series were satined and slightly less well-appointed versions of their other guitars they sold for substantially less. They sound terrific. I could certainly see one as a lifetime guitar.)

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Have you tried a carbon fiber guitar? Rainsong is made in the USA
http://www.rainsong.com
I think Blackbird may be created in the U.S.A.
https://www.blackbirdguitar.com

Good luck!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-13-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsed View Post
Perhaps a Larrivee. Either new, preowned or custom shop. Best bang for your buck, great tone, USA made. Spectacular woods. Good company.
I second checking out Larrivee. There are probably a number of guitars/luthiers that would fit your described needs but IMHO, a Larrivee OM-40(mahogany), OM-40R(rosewood), L-03R should be on your short list. (The L body is a Larrivee design and is very versatile, but so are OM’s.) I own 2 Larrivees, now 26 and 14 years old respectively. They sound great and hold up very well. As others have said, do your best to play them before you buy. These can be had new for around $1500-$1800.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:37 PM

Larrivee L model.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:58 PM

I'm not sure if you have something at the moment or not. I was in your shoes 6 months ago. I was playing on a 1980s horrid cigar box guitar whose headstock was broken and had been reglued with elmers glue (back in the 90s). So I was kind of in a hurry to just get something. And I had a bias toward Martin. And I wanted (primarily) folky fingerpicking.

I ended up getting a learner guitar with a 1 11/16 nut width and this gave me something to practice on and get some "C" legs with. It took the pressure off the drive for the big gun (well, yea, some of the pressure). I also learned that a 1 11/16 nut width was frustrating to play with, and it forced me, against my will, to develop some good habits regarding the fretting hand. Glad I did it now, but sheeesh it was frustrating.

Eventually I got the guitar I wanted (with a 1 3/4 nut width) but I still play on the learner about 40% of the time. I don't know that we've bonded but we're friends.

So, TLDR - get a low cost guitar to putz with and take the pressure off. (Like Lakewood_Lad said in the earlier post)
Old 03-13-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
This.

My $.02 would also be don't necessarily pressure yourself into feeling that I NEED TO BUY MY LIFETIME GUITAR!!! from the get-go. A lot of the fun is in the hunt, so maybe ask yourself, why the rush to hit the bullseye on the first shot?

I'd say play a whole lot of guitars and buy one you like (preferably used and maybe even at less than your $ point). Play it a bunch. The more you play, the more you'll know what you like. Keep looking. The right guitar will likely find you. Then you can sell the first one (for little to no loss if you bought used).
Without going through the entire thread...I would pay attention to this sentiment. There is a lot of potential fun in the hunt, and something I did not take into account nearly enough on a recent quest is the variety in specs between models and manufacturers. By this I refer to things like size/shape (some want comfort of smaller body, others want sound of larger instruments - can you predict your interest a couple years out?); nut width (some dismiss this as unimportant to them, others - myself included- now find I will not consider less than 1-3/4); scale length (short is comfortable to some, "standard" is more common); and more. Point is, there is more variety than I ever realized and it may take considerable play-time to tease out some of your preferences.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:37 PM

Sweetwater have a new demo model for $3149
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-maple-natural

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-13-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Hence, I'm not married to Martin but I do understand and respect their history. It might have to do with Martins being readily available and promoted at the two different local guitar shops I've visited.

I guess buying a Martin is a bit like buying a Rolex as your own luxury sport watch or a Porsche 911 as your one and only sport car. It is the obvious choice, it doesn't mean that it is either the best or the wrong choice, but it is what comes to mind.

I like the idea of something more handmade and smaller volume, e.g. Collings, or even a Huss & Dalton from here in Virginia (but I'm not a bluegrass player per se).

I'm not always the most patient of men :-) I like the idea of picking something up soon. We are all getting isolated at home for the next weeks because of the Corona virus so the idea of having a great guitar at home is very compelling. Plus I'd help to spend some money at a local guitar shop supporting the economy...

Well the best advice any of us can really give you is to head to your local guitar shops and play everything that looks in some way appealing to you and see what guitar or guitars really do appeal to you, and then work with those "first round favorites" a bit more extensively until you find the right one.

Or...if you are really lucky, one guitar of the group you try will really just look, and feel, and sound all around right and terrific for you, and you will have found "the one".

Oh, and please don't think that you can't own a Huss & Dalton...or any other brand that is often tied closely to bluegrass, or any type of musical style that is not what you would play on it. Any brand, any model can be the right one for you!

Any brands or models we suggest are just what we may like, but really, the only thing that matters is that you find the one that YOU like.

That's the right one!

Have fun...and THANKS for supporting your local shops!!!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-13-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Sweetwater have a new demo model for $3149
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-maple-natural
The guitar sounds great but it's his talent that I want.

Mark Twain
Old 03-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

How about the new Guild F512 12 string - this look spectacular. It's also got big historic musical connotations

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, martin, new guitar