The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Bleached Spruce

Does anyone know how common it is for guitar makers to bleach their spruce tops during production? I've seen color toner and tint, but always thought that natural tops were just that... natural. Am I being naive?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:55 PM

I suppose it’s possible that some manufacturers might do that if they were going for a very specific cosmetic appearance, but it’s certainly not a common practice; in fact I’ve never heard of any guitar company doing that.

whm
Old 01-24-2020, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Wade. I hadn't heard of it either. But earlier today, I was chatting with someone from an unnamed guitar company, asking a number of different questions about their guitars. One of my questions was about their tops and whether the natural color was affected by their finish or any tint or aging toner. And their response was (paraphrasing): "well, we don't bleach our tops like the other companies do."

This caught me by surprise b/c I've never heard of that or read about it. When I pressed, they said it's not advertised, but an extremely common practice. I figured it was a good question to ask here, since there are so many knowledgeable folks and quite a few experienced guitar makers, as well.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:16 PM

Never heard of anyone doing this.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, I bleach all my tops. I let them simmer in a few inches of bleach and wash them in my washing machine to give them a beautiful, pale color.

To clarify, nobody bleaches their tops - the fellow you spoke to was misinformed.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:47 PM

Being a hobbyist electric builder for ~25 years, I've always got wood bleach in the house and know how and when to use it.
I've used it to bleach figured maple tops and some other things many times over the years.

There are woods that 'take' to bleaching well and ones that do not.
Spruce would be in the 'do not' catagory.
As Simon said, no one would bleach Spruce.
Eastman 2012 AH6OM
Eastman 2016 HE-222GAC
Eastman 2018 E1SS Ltd
La Patrie Presentation
La Patrie Collection
Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 PM

I wonder if they try it to reduce the visual effect of runout?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Thanks, Wade. I hadn't heard of it either. But earlier today, I was chatting with someone from an unnamed guitar company, asking a number of different questions about their guitars. One of my questions was about their tops and whether the natural color was affected by their finish or any tint or aging toner. And their response was (paraphrasing): "well, we don't bleach our tops like the other companies do."

This caught me by surprise b/c I've never heard of that or read about it. When I pressed, they said it's not advertised, but an extremely common practice. I figured it was a good question to ask here, since there are so many knowledgeable folks and quite a few experienced guitar makers, as well.
Nah, that person was speaking out of an orifice other than the proper one, let’s put it that way. I would guess that it was a traveling sales rep for the company who fed you that misinformation rather than anyone involved with the actual process of building the guitars. In similar encounters with sales reps I’ve been given some rather blatant misinformation about rival firms’ supposed dubious practices.

Like Drak pointed out, yes, some woods can be successfully bleached, but spruce is not a good candidate for that process.

whm
Old 01-25-2020, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Perfect. Thanks, all. It seemed unlikely to me, but I've never worked in the industry or made a guitar, so I figured I'd come here to set things straight. It's amazing that a guitar company would allow someone to speak so freely and loosely with the facts. It says something about the company this person represents, and it lends some credibility to other companies whose reps have provided me with some incredibly useful information.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion