The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2017, 03:11 PM

I've had good sound with passive pu's and the Behringer AD121, the K&K Pure and the RedEye. I've also found when plugging directly into my Carvin AG300 set to HI Z, it sounds just as good with no preamp at all. I'm a firm believer in using the gear you need/like, but the less you put in your signal chain the more reliable good sound will be. Every box, connection, input/output and cord introduces two new potential failures.

Last edited by Mandobart; 03-24-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Bizarre aurocorrect results
Old 03-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Does the Redeye have a Mute button?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
...snip... I've also found when plugging directly into my Carvin AG300 set to HI Z, it sounds just as good with no preamp at all.
...snip...
Big, Big +1! The Hi Z preamp section of the Carvin AG amps is outstanding. I've had the exact same experience with my AG200. Going into a PA I always need the Red-Eye, but don't in the least with the Carvin.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 03-24-2017, 04:09 PM

I've used the Pure Mini in two guitars. I might still be using the Pure Mini if I'd had my Zoom A3 at the time. Its done wonders to tame problematic (with respect to EQ) Anthem SL and Lyric systems. It offers considerable EQ control with three EQ devices which can all be used in series (a digital six band graphic EQ, a digital two band parametric EQ and a three band manual EQ for quick & dirty adjustments at the gig).

The input impedance of both inputs is 1Mohm, and both inputs can accept an instrument cable (as well as the mic capable input being able to accept an mic cable also). In other words, you could use the A3 to blend your Pure Mini with either another pickup or a mic.

You can also choose to invert the phase of the mic-capable input signal. (If I was just using the Pure Mini alone, I'd connect it to the mic-capable input and route the signal through one or both of the digital EQ devices.)

Downsides - a) high learning curve. The A3 takes considerable study to understand well, and b) some folks have complained of a high pitched noise when used with a wall wart power supply. (I use rechargeable AA batteries for power. I've had no noise problem.)

Oops. I forgot to mention that the A3 has a search-and-notch feedback zapper which hunts down the problem frequency and notches it. The initial notch is described as "deep", but the user has the option of adjusting the notch to "normal" or "shallow" if a shallower notch will do the job. The feedback zapper can notch up to three frequencies.

Last edited by guitaniac; 03-24-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Does the Redeye have a Mute button?
No MUTE on the Red Eye but a pedal tuner in the effects loop does mute the output, even when using the DI out.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 PM

Not a K&K user (JJB), but I use a fire eye red eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 05:23 PM

The Headway EDB2 works well with K&K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 03-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
And of course there are the custom built Grace, and Pendulum preamps which are high dollar but great single source preamps.
Pendulum HZ-10SE are great single source preamps but the Sps-1 is stereo. I used the Sps-1 with k&k blended with dpa mic. I also play with k&k blended with a Seymour Duncan magmic. Throw in some Bryston amps played through Daedalus speakers and you have acoustic nirvana! Best plugged in sound I've ever heard

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 03-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

I like my redeye - but i can also plug into my TC Harmony GXT, and it works well too -
Old 03-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Been using a Red Eye (twin) for years with several different guitars with K&K pure mini's in them. Works great and the sound guys at our church love it.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 03-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
For those using the K&K Pure Mini passive, what is your favorite pre-amp and what other pre-amps have you tried that you liked and didn't like.

I'm not looking for any product bashing, but it's ok to share both positive and negative opinions especially in context of product pairing.
I was a beta tester for the K&K mini (a long time ago). I've had that pickup in one or more guitars for the better part of nearly 20 years. I've used it (solo fingerstyle, flesh and nail) with a host of different signal chains, including specific studio tests of about 30 different preamps with integral or associated eq circuitry.

Subjectively, and leaving out true studio destined preamps/eqs (e.g., Millennia Media STT-1, Speck MicPre 5.0 and Speck ASC-T EQ combination) my favorite is the Pendulum Audio SPS-1 and that has been so ever since I first acquired one about 17 years ago. Other units which are quite worthy include the Rane AP-13, Raven Labs PMB II and D-TAR Solstice. Of course the Grace Felix (new kid on the block) belongs on the list too. Various DI only units work well too, although that depends on the quality of the subsequent preamplification and eq.

I don't but into the K&K "impedance matching" urban legend. Any preamp with an input impedance of about 900k or greater will work just fine.

I also don't buy into the urban myth that because the K&K mini produces a relatively hot signal (as far as passive pickup signals go) you can forego placing the initial buffering and gain stages as close to the pickup as possible.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

I have Pure Minis in my Breedlove mandolin and run it through a Fishman Platinum Pro preamp direct to the board. This gives me flexibility to adjust the sound, has a functional mute switch with a built in tuner section. There is also a 'boost' switch adjustable up to +12db. It will function as a DI as well. Unfortunately due to the way the circuit is designed when using it as a DI there is an audible signal (aka 'clunk') when using the mute. I typically run the amp out direct to our mixer that's close enough that the run of the unbalanced cable is less than 10' so it works fine.

Yep, the impedance is way out of compliance with what is typically recommended in this forum. It sounds great but what do I know-I'm a mandolin player
Old 03-24-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post

I don't but into the K&K "impedance matching" urban legend. Any preamp with an input impedance of about 900k or greater will work just fine.

I also don't buy into the urban myth that because the K&K mini produces a relatively hot signal (as far as passive pickup signals go) you can forego placing the initial buffering and gain stages as close to the pickup as possible.
Can you call it "urban legend" or "urban myth" when the pickup's designer is the one who's making the claim?

http://kksound.com/podcast/pure_toomuchbass.mp3

I've had mixed results with the two preamps which Dieter mentions. The Baggs PADI (10 Mohm input impedance) gave me way too much bass when EQed flat. The Fishman Platinum (10 Mohm input impedance) was more balanced. The Boss GE7 graphic equalizer (1 Mohm input impedance) produced the least bass of the three devices when EQed flat.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
(snippage).... it sounds just as good with no preamp at all. ... (more snippage)
ditto for me - I plug directly into my Fishman Acoustic Performer Pro, which I'll use either as a monitor or PA, depending on the venue. K&K sounds great without any EQ adjustment at all.
(and a couple of banjos, autoharp, recorders...)
Old 03-25-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
For those using the K&K Pure Mini passive, what is your favorite pre-amp and what other pre-amps have you tried that you liked and didn't like.

I'm not looking for any product bashing, but it's ok to share both positive and negative opinions especially in context of product pairing.
Rmz76,
You never mentioned why you wanted a pre-amp. Do you need more volume, want to provide some eq, need only to convert 1/4" to xlr, feedback control, etc.

We all purchased a preamp for different reasons. What's yours and maybe we can help to narrow things down a bit. We all have our opinions based off OUR needs and requirements. Yours might be different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification