The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-07-2020, 10:54 AM
Guest 33123

Default Baggs Anthem SL into a Para DI?

Hi guys,

my current acoustic/electric set up is a Gibson J-45 Standard with a stock Baggs Element > Baggs Para DI > Fender Acoustic SFX amp. I can get it sounding "pretty good" doing quite a lot of EQing at the Para DI. But after spending time on Doug Young's pickup shootout page I'd really like to move up to the Anthem SL.

My luthier is still closed to the public so the swap out won't happen for the forseeable future. So I ask this: Who has experience with the Anthem SL into a Para DI? Is this a workable combination? Are there much better alternatives worthy of replacing the Para DI?

I lean toward simplicity when it comes to electric gear. I understand that this will never sound exactly like my J-45 unplugged. I'm not really interested in going the ToneDexter route.

Opinions please?

Last edited by Guest 33123; 04-07-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:44 PM

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the Para DI specifically.
I can say I bought a J-45 in 2013 and was never happy with the sound of the Element pick up.

I upgraded the Element to an Anthem SL and I did it myself without any difficulty.
The SL incorporates the Element UST as part of it so it's really straight forward.
No new holes need to be drilled. I can provide more details if needed.

I will say adjusting the balance control is touchy business but does not need to be done often.

Often as not I go straight in with the SL and rely on the PA's EQ (SA330x) for any adjustments.
I have used a Red Eye DI and a Fishman Platinum Stage DI and they both work fine.

Hope this helps, cheers. _Roger
Old 04-07-2020, 05:09 PM

Anthem would be a good solution for your fingerpicking, Doug.

I bought a used 2005 Gibson Dove recently and they advertised it as having a 'Baggs pickup'. It sure did - the full Baggs Anthem!!! The guitar is heavily worn on the top, someone wrote on it and the Anthem is probably worth as much as the guitar.

I detest Elements, and have the mic on my Anthem on full. I think you can do this on the SL? With fingerpicking blues, the Element makes the bass too pronounced and too much sustain, so cut that on the Para, the mids go oinky, so sweep them out on the Para sweepable mids, and the highs go too brittle - cut the treble and presence control on the Para!

So stepping back from the brink of buying, you may get a better tone in the SL with a more balanced tone guitar like an L-00?

I have and love the Maton 808 (deep body 00 style guitars) with the Maton AP5-Pro pickup system - this is just sensational for fingerpicking, the closest I get to 'real'!!!! Next closest - I have with the after market pickups is the Anthem.

BluesKing777.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks for the input Roger and BK! Yeah I'm pretty sold on the Anthem.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:45 PM

I have an Anthem sl in one of my guitars. Love the tone. I run it in to a Baggs Align Session, then in to the Baggs Venue. Before that I was running it into a Para DI, and was quite happy with the results.

I will add that the Session is very useful with the Anthem, at least in my experience. It is subtle, but somehow even in its subtlety it makes a huge difference - It just evens out some frequencies I couldn't adjust with the Para DI or Venue, and makes everything simply sound and feel better... for me at least.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 04-08-2020, 05:57 AM

I was not a fan of the Element either, quack, quack.
I had my tech remove it and install a K & K. I run it through a Red Eye preamp and a ten band EQ. Much better.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-08-2020, 08:02 AM
Guest 33123

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:09 PM

Maybe off topic a bit but I have tried the Anthem, SL version and the Lyric. For some reason, I struggled to bond with the tru-mic portion of the Anthem but I really liked the Lyric. I realize the Lyric is meant to cover all frequencies so maybe it's a bit more full but it's just a more pleasing tone. I am currently thinking of making my own Anthem type of system with the LB6 and Lyric. Not loving the stereo set up but I am excited to try it.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:03 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Maybe off topic a bit but
No worries. It's related in my mind. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2020, 01:22 AM

Hi Doug,

I have a Baggs Anthem SL in two guitars & I've also had a couple of Baggs Para DIs for years but recently have bought a couple of other Pres. I absolutely prefer the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ/DI to the Para DI for sound & ease of use. I also have a Grace Felix and it's not that i prefer the Fishman to that, it's just that it's well thought out, sounds good & easy to use. YMMV of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hi guys,

my current acoustic/electric set up is a Gibson J-45 Standard with a stock Baggs Element > Baggs Para DI > Fender Acoustic SFX amp. I can get it sounding "pretty good" doing quite a lot of EQing at the Para DI. But after spending time on Doug Young's pickup shootout page I'd really like to move up to the Anthem SL.

My luthier is still closed to the public so the swap out won't happen for the forseeable future. So I ask this: Who has experience with the Anthem SL into a Para DI? Is this a workable combination? Are there much better alternatives worthy of replacing the Para DI?

I lean toward simplicity when it comes to electric gear. I understand that this will never sound exactly like my J-45 unplugged. I'm not really interested in going the ToneDexter route.

Opinions please?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification