The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2023, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Default TC Helicon Play Acoustic Questions

Hi,
I am looking at getting one of these. I just ordered a helix stomp XL and was thinking of getting the regular TC helicon play. However I saw the acoustic one on marketplace for a super cheap price. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for using a helix Stomp (or XL) with a helicon play acoustic? Also, do you need to plug your acoustic guitar in to use the helicon play acoustic? or should I just stick to the regular one?
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 11-21-2023, 10:22 AM

What do you want to do with the Play Acoustic? Just harmony vocal (and vocal effects) or do you want guitar efx as well? The difference between the electric and acoustic is mainly the guitar processing - the acoustic has "body Rez" which is their take on IR and eq, and has some different effects but if you have the Helix not clear why you'd want/need the guitar effects (unless you are using acoustic which I don't think the Helix is really optimized for).

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-23-2023, 05:23 AM

Plugging the guitar in to the Play Acoustic guides the vocals for pitch correction and harmonies. I am not a fan of the guitar processing. Instead, I use a LR Baggs Venue. I run the 1/4” out of the LR Baggs to the Play Acoustic and the XLR out to the speaker. I only use the left XLR out of the Play Acoustic for the vocals. I can process the guitar sound to my liking and still get the vocal from the Play Acoustic with the ability to track the harmonies. I really like the vocal processing from the Play Acoustic. You will need to set the Play Acoustic settings to “vocal/guitar DI out”, which means the left XLR out is mono with just vocals and the right XLR out would the guitar guitar, which your would not be using.

Your Helix provides way more guitar processing opportunities than the Play Acoustic offers and probably much better sound. I think these two would be a great blend. The only thing you have to be aware of is effects for the guitar (like a heavy reverb, heavy delay or heavy Chorus) may affect the vocal harmonies. I don’t have a Helix but it may have the ability to send no effects down the 1/4”out… providing it has both 1/4” and XLR out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification