The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-29-2003, 10:51 PM

Default anyone played a Garrison guitar?

Hey, i was just curious. I see advertisements for these guitars in various guitar magazines, and they look fairly interesting. All solid wood, and their bracing system is all plastic-fiber and it is connected. Just curious. Don't worry, i am not going to sell my taylor!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 11:53 PM

i played one last year and was not impressed. the guitar seemed like a good guitar.....but the setup was terrible. i really blame this on the shop owner, not garrison. the thing might have been shipped with good strings and action, but things happen in the shops. the sound was good and the quaility was there for sure....but the sound didn't do much for me. but like i said, it may have been totally due to the poor setup. that was the one and only garrison i'd ever seen or played. they're pretty rare around these parts. i do think the bracing on these things is very cool.....a really unique idea.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:07 AM

I played one - a lefty even. It was OK but I woudn't trade my Big Baby for it.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:37 AM

I also tried one a few months ago and wasn't overly impressed by the sound at all. I was hoping for some distinct sound with it's innovative design, but it didn't sound like anything special...

2cents bunny
614CE (regret selling this one big-time)
Old 07-30-2003, 02:00 AM
Winning!

my friend loved the G10 series - though its a shame they stopped building those...cos they ran outta wood

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:56 AM

I plaied three of them at Joe Piscopo's shop in Detroit.
I was quite impressed by their warm tone and volume. I particularly
liked a whole Mahogany dread.
However, I found the action on all three guitars a bit too high, compared
to my Taylor.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

played a few
for the most part, uninspiring
warm at first, but the more you play, the more you realize it's just muddiness...
LOTS of variation in fit/finish as well
no where near Taylor consistency.
If you are fortunate to find a good one, though, its certainly not a bad backup guitar/etc
Old 07-30-2003, 04:21 PM

I tried a couple out here in Wichita a little while back. Played 4 different models, and every one of them had extremely high action. The sound was okay, but nothing to write home about. However, for the price range they were being offered at they were not a bad buy for a beginner. For the discriminating guitarist, you would do a LOT better with a Taylor 110 or 214. The idea of the composite-fiber structure (bracing) was interesting but I wasn't overly impressed.

615, 555, K22, 714ce-LTD (cocobolo), W12c, 810-LTD (cocobolo), 814ce-L1 (brazilian), Breedlove Ed Gerhard, Martin SPD16-TR LTD, Fender Robert Cray Strat, Fender Std Telecaster, Epiphone Riviera, Washburn EA-26, George Gruhn Barrington GC, Beretta, Glock, Ruger, Desert Eagle, and Nikki (following in Kodi's paw prints)

Someday, you'll find Your Taylor
Psalm 33:3
Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 AM

I really liked the ones I played. Very well made. Good attention to detail with excellent intonations. Great depth of tone. All wood contruction with the exception of that frame, which is why they can be priced so well. I can't believe anyone would prefer a 110 or Big Baby over a Garrison. Must have been the exceptions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification