The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2003, 08:32 PM

Default Doyle Dykes in Columbus, GA

Just got back from a Doyle Dykes clinic at Everything Musical in Columbus. I took one my sons with me (age 10). We had a great time. Phenomenal playing (as usual), using everything from his DDSM (orange, black and natural versions) to a baby Taylor. He's a great guy and the first time I've seen him in person.

His two main messages:

1. Music should be fun. Enjoy it and express yourself, from sadness to exhilaration and everything in between.
2. If you have children, share music with them. He told the story of his first good acoustic, a Gibson J45, which was a gift from his parents who sacrificed to make the purchase. He said that gift changed his life and motivated him to "give something back." All of us now are the beneficiaries.

Cheers ... and keep on playing!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:52 AM

He's just amazing. When I saw him last year he played flawlessly for over two hours. He slightly muffled one little harmonic in a run of about 20 in a row. After the song, he felt it necessary to apologize for the flub saying that the lighting was bad and he is getting older and can't see as well. I wanted to smack him! I guarantee you that if that minor flub was all I did even in about two minutes of playing, I'd be quitting my day job immediately.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification