The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-09-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
...I'm also looking forward to figuring out what strings work best on it. Flatwounds would be period correct and I will be trying some...
Given the DeArmond Dynasonic pickups on yours, I'd follow the default modern Gretsch setup and slap on a set of flatwound 11's to start; go down to 10's if it sounds like the tone is "choked" (as I did - counterintuitively, I might add - on my White Falcon), up to 12's if you want more dynamic range and "wood" in your tone, 13's if you're going straight-up jazzzbox - BTW please note (pun intended) that in all cases a wound G is mandatory for proper tonal balance. FWIW I've been most successful with D'Addario Chromes: relatively inexpensive for flats (about 50-70% less than some of the Euro brands), easy to find, clearer/brighter-sounding than the old-school round-core stuff, easy on the fingers with exceptionally long life - and they'll allow you to set your action far lower than with roundwounds (a hack all the '50s jazzers and rockabilly carts knew, in order to get those fleet-fingered licks with 12's and 13's - and occasionally 14's for some of the jazz guys)...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 04-09-2024 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:45 PM

They're back - and this time starting @ $699:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...vibrato-blonde
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tar-gold-coast
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...al-malibu-blue
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ar-scarlet-red
Old 04-20-2024, 02:27 PM

I bet they are ones people bought the last couple weeks and returned. That’s what Sweetwater calls a “demo.” It’s what I call “used.”
Old 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I bet they are ones people bought the last couple weeks and returned. That’s what Sweetwater calls a “demo.” It’s what I call “used.”
They tag their demos as such - these are new w/warranty...
Old 04-21-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
They tag their demos as such - these are new w/warranty...
Right, but even the demos come with a warrantee. “Demo” doesn’t mean it was out in a shop for walk-in customers to try. It means a guitar was boxed up, shipped, unpacked, played by someone for a time, shipped back, and then sold by Sweetwater to someone else as a “new” guitar. I find their MO not completely dishonest, but a bit misleading to the consumer. YMMV.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Right, but even the demos come with a warrantee. “Demo” doesn’t mean it was out in a shop for walk-in customers to try. It means a guitar was boxed up, shipped, unpacked, played by someone for a time, shipped back, and then sold by Sweetwater to someone else as a “new” guitar. I find their MO not completely dishonest, but a bit misleading to the consumer. YMMV.
Check the listings again - as I write this the demos are specifically tagged as "demo" (one is tagged "price drop"), the regular stock is not...
Old 04-22-2024, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Apparently, they are all gone now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars