The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 07:33 PM

Default B.I.G. (the return)UPDATE: Tony McManus is confirmed!

[OK, having to cancel the last B.I.G. about a year to the month ago was very difficult after the amount of work put in. We have decided to try again with the event planned for Sept. 3rd, 4th, and 5th, 2021 in New Braunfels, TX just northeast of San Antonio. Things are improving throughout most of the country especially in Tx. None of us knows what the future holds, but so many of us need something to look forward to and Kathy and I hope that our party may be that something.

We have begun planning and here are the list of luthiers booked to come: Ben Wilborn, Steve Kinnaird and Ryan Middlebrook, Lamehorse guitars, Rebecca Urlacher, Edwinson guitars, Leo Buendia, John Kinnaird, Mark Hatcher, and Two Hands Guitar Co. Gerry Humphrey who makes custom built acoustic amps will also be returning. Personally, I think this is quite a lineup. Recently added Jason Kostal!

For those who came before, you will see an extra day was added. This means an opportunity for an additional house concert at the very least! We have none other than our very own Dustin Furlow coming to perform on Friday night and probably a workshop on Saturday. Saturday evenings concert is the return of Frog and Toad (Brad Jones and Ben Wilborn) who I know have been writing and working on many new songs. These guys will also be doing a workshop on song writing. AND, the final piece of the puzzle is in place, Tony McManus is coming to play, do a workshop, and provide a group and private lesson!

Food: Friday we will have a food truck on site which has awesome selections. Saturday will be the catered BBQ again. Sunday is brunch and a return of the bloody mary bar! Soft drinks, water, beer, and wine served all weekend with whiskey sampling again, usually local Texas distilleries.

We have rooms reserved at a Fairfield Inn about 15-20 minutes away at a discounted rate and there are plenty of VRBOs and AirB&Bs around.

For those who were here for the first B.I.G., we have moved so you may not want to rebook at the same places as before although we are only about 35 minutes from the old place.

With the uncertainty that still exists in our world, we are not taking deposits to reserve your spot, but please PM me or send me an email if you want to get put on the list to reserve your spot and to get more details including the link to the discounted rate at the hotel.

This is a very unique opportunity to meet your AGF friends face to face and to get to know these world class luthiers one on one. The event is small enough that it feels more like a bunch of friends just getting together for a weekend of things we love, guitars, music, friends, good food and drink yet large enough to have a variety of guitars to play and fall in love with. You can buy that perfect guitar that you find at the show or commission one with your perfect specs.

I think it you look back at the old threads, you will see a great time was had by all and many folks regretted not coming, don't let that be you.

Tom and Kathy

Last edited by TomB'sox; 08-04-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:45 PM

It will be such an amazing event! Thanks for having me!

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

A word to the wise: come if at all possible. Tom and Kathy seem born to this. The first B.I.G. was eye-opening as to what a guitar event can be. It doesn’t seem feasible (or even necessary?) to top the last B.I.G., but if anyone can, it will be Tom & Kathy. And they’ve had two years now to plan. I hope to see you there!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-23-2021, 04:56 AM

Congratulations Tom! Sounds great. Who knows, I may be able to do this now that I have the time and the vaccination!
Old 03-23-2021, 05:57 AM

Default Holy **** Tom

That's only five months away! And with that line-up I absolutely have to come, both to see old friends and meet some of my heroes. Dang it - I was hoping you would give me another month or two to get my tiny chops back up to speed. Oh well - I'll email you, and clear the dates.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:34 AM

Tom, Tom, Tom. Why, oh, why, did you have to pick my anniversary weekend? Lol. And, no, I don't think I could sell this as an anniversary event. Lol. Stay married or attend BIG? Hmm.

Will be a fantastic event!
Old 03-23-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminPaldacci View Post
It will be such an amazing event! Thanks for having me!
I hear that the pleasure will be all mine!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
A word to the wise: come if at all possible. Tom and Kathy seem born to this. The first B.I.G. was eye-opening as to what a guitar event can be. It doesn’t seem feasible (or even necessary?) to top the last B.I.G., but if anyone can, it will be Tom & Kathy. And they’ve had two years now to plan. I hope to see you there!

Steve
Thank you Steve, we are trying, I hope to see many AGF members there as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Congratulations Tom! Sounds great. Who knows, I may be able to do this now that I have the time and the vaccination!
Oh boy, I hope so Rick, you would love it and we would love to have you! Retirement is suppose to bring fun things to you that you could not do before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
That's only five months away! And with that line-up I absolutely have to come, both to see old friends and meet some of my heroes. Dang it - I was hoping you would give me another month or two to get my tiny chops back up to speed. Oh well - I'll email you, and clear the dates.
Oh boy Stan, with Steve being the first to sign up, I knew you could not stay away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
Tom, Tom, Tom. Why, oh, why, did you have to pick my anniversary weekend? Lol. And, no, I don't think I could sell this as an anniversary event. Lol. Stay married or attend BIG? Hmm.

Will be a fantastic event!
OK, well this is a problem. We picked it because it was a 3 day weekend already and thought that would help people find the time to come. I have consulted with the lovely Kathy, an expert on all things romantic, and she says SA is a great place to have an anniversary. In fact we can set you up with a nice itinerary of small towns around with fantastic restaurants and wineries all within 45 minutes of the house. Spend a couple of days here and then take a few days to visit some of these places, Fredericksburg, Wimberly, Gruene, Austin etc. We will hook you up! Also lots of spouses coming so she would not be alone!

Tom
Old 03-23-2021, 09:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Can't Wait!

I'm excited to be participating. The first B.I.G. looked like a lot of fun.
I have to say it is nice to have an planned event to get out to!
I'm bringing the Bloodwood Greta spec I am currently working on. I have a special Woodsman coming together for this and a few other surprises are in the works!

Can't Wait!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 03-23-2021, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Wow--what a lineup indeed!

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the second installment of this legendary event!

If anyone is on the fence about attending, don't hesitate--Tom and Kathy are totally wonderful hosts, and as noted above, the lineup is outstanding!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Smile This will be FANTASTIC

Anyone who attended the first shindig will attest that it was FAB! I have high hopes Cindy and I will be able to make it to this one as well.

It is very nice to have something like this to look forward to!

Actually there is NOTHING like this but it IS nice to anticipate.

Woohoo

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-23-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

This is great news! Email sent. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I hear that the pleasure will be all mine!!!

Thank you Steve, we are trying, I hope to see many AGF members there as well!

Oh boy, I hope so Rick, you would love it and we would love to have you! Retirement is suppose to bring fun things to you that you could not do before!

Oh boy Stan, with Steve being the first to sign up, I knew you could not stay away!

OK, well this is a problem. We picked it because it was a 3 day weekend already and thought that would help people find the time to come. I have consulted with the lovely Kathy, an expert on all things romantic, and she says SA is a great place to have an anniversary. In fact we can set you up with a nice itinerary of small towns around with fantastic restaurants and wineries all within 45 minutes of the house. Spend a couple of days here and then take a few days to visit some of these places, Fredericksburg, Wimberly, Gruene, Austin etc. We will hook you up! Also lots of spouses coming so she would not be alone!

Tom
Hey Tom
I'm bringing my spouse and she wants to go touring after the show. Can we get in on your travel guide. I especially like the restaurant and winery section.

John
Old 03-23-2021, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

The first one was a great time!
Old 03-23-2021, 03:37 PM

I purchased a guitar at BIG 1 and had never heard of Tom Sands or Taran Guitars who were scheduled for BIG 2, but ended up buying a guitar from Tom Sands last summer because of it.

Well, I was just sitting on the couch watching Jeopardy this afternoon and my wife comes in and asks me if I want to do anything special for my 75th birthday. I said I hadn't thought about it any more than I did for 74. Then the light came on. I said, well maybe I should buy a new guitar at Tom's BIG event in September. I almost fell over when she said that was a good idea.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--what a lineup indeed!

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the second installment of this legendary event!

If anyone is on the fence about attending, don't hesitate--Tom and Kathy are totally wonderful hosts, and as noted above, the lineup is outstanding!
Thank you so much and we are very pleased you two (and hopefull three) can make it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Anyone who attended the first shindig will attest that it was FAB! I have high hopes Cindy and I will be able to make it to this one as well.

It is very nice to have something like this to look forward to!

Actually there is NOTHING like this but it IS nice to anticipate.

Woohoo

Paul
Thanks Paul, we sincerely hope you two can make it, I mean really, you have 37 of John's guitars lol and you have not met personally yet, I mean what more do I have to do for you, send a limo hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
This is great news! Email sent. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.
Thank you very much, this is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Hey Tom
I'm bringing my spouse and she wants to go touring after the show. Can we get in on your travel guide. I especially like the restaurant and winery section.

John
We can definitely give you the lay of the land. There are so many wonderful little towns around all with great shops and places to eat. Fredericksburg has wineries all over and quite good ones too. Don't ask me how we know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
The first one was a great time!
The door is always open for you sir!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop