The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-06-2022, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Smile Unfortunately….

Unfortunately for me I find ALL the Bose systems very harsh and ear fatigue happens fast for my old ears.

I suppose if you are playing a venue where people are yakking and the TV is blaring sports you might need the extra hyped sound from the Bose.

Since I don’t play those kind of places anymore, I’m just as happy to skip it.

Each to his own, though.

YMMV, etc.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-07-2022, 11:16 PM

Default S1

I recently added a second one to perform in stereo, as well as being able to use battery power and be able to be heard. Just one outdoors I find doesn't project well. I run a number of different instruments that I play solo through at open mics or private performances.

Last year I was at a seminar and another guy had the same instrument I had as well as an S1, he sounded horrible, volume up too high, odd position on it's side (not using the rubber base, and may have had tone match on) Someone else corrected what he was doing and it sounded better. Position matters. For acoustic guitar I often like putting it in a stand to make use of the FRFR switch. For my Chapman Sticks and basses I put them on the floor and use the vertical tilt. I don't have the volume up too high either. I play through a Line6 Helix, have not yet used the Quad Cortex yet with my acoustic, but getting a good eq matters. The only time I experienced a harsh tone was a GC demo where the salesman cranked it way up with music from his iPhone.

So yes - I have heard how harsh an S1 can get if it's set up poorly. Equivalent to scratching nails on a chalkboard.

I set the bass and the treble flat at the center positions and let the Helix do the rest for eq'ing. Volume I set at 11:00, and control it via the Helix. I also have a Headway twin channel DI box if I don't want to use the Helix, as well and a Stompmix 6. I recently used the Stompmix 6 with the two S1's for a Memorial service with just a microphone outside (no music), all battery powered, and everyone was amazed how well it worked.

Most of where I play the S1's sound good. For louder applications or needing better bass I use an EV50. Placement is really key for these, not as forgiving as other PA's amps I've used before. I do not have issues with harshness but sometimes I can get a bit too much bass - I like to put the pair behind me about 4:00 and 8:00.

For me battery power+ small footprint is a huge need for me, through lots of different applications and environments I've learned how to tweak them. Another plus is durability. Some other musicians I play with at open mics have not been lucky with their PA's and have sent them back multiple times. Never had any issues with my S1's. The oldest one I've had for 5-6 years, used weekly.
Old 10-08-2022, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

It seems very expensive - but I can see the advantage for me of having a battery powered speaker with bluetooth that I could place out front (not behind) and then use a small bluetooth mixer with 48v phantom going to a single large condenser mic' stage centre. It would be the ability to place the speaker out front on a stand without any cables as trip hazards that would appeal to me. But I expect that there are much cheaper options than the Bose S1 Pro that would do the same job to the standard required for simple stage sound reinforcement.

The way I like to play would not work with any sort of speaker system that sits behind me. So the Bose wouldn't be hard on my ears as I wouldn't be the one in front of it!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-09-2022, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
It seems very expensive - but I can see the advantage for me of having a battery powered speaker with bluetooth that I could place out front (not behind) and then use a small bluetooth mixer
For the record - the Bluetooth facility on the s1 isn't there for connecting a mixer but for playback from a Bluetooth equipped phone/iPad, etc.

Bluetooth has an inherent delay (latency) which renders it pretty much useless for real time performance, a backing track is it's own (and your) time reference so a little delay is irrelevant so long as it's consistent.

Also, Bluetooth connections on mixers are usually also for playback input or mixer control, not output, for the same reason.

If you do want to use the s1 remotely I've hooked up an Xvive IEM system to the ⅛" jack on an s1 for experimental purposes. The XLR transmitter goes in the mixer output and signal level is about right across the system. Battery life is good for 3x45min sets.

Latency is less than 5ms, which is negligible.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 10-09-2022 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
For the record - the Bluetooth facility on the s1 isn't there for connecting a mixer but for playback from a Bluetooth equipped phone/iPad, etc.

Bluetooth has an inherent delay (latency) which renders it pretty much useless for real time performance, a backing track is it's own (and your) time reference so a little delay is irrelevant so long as it's consistent.

Also, Bluetooth connections on mixers are usually also for playback input or mixer control, not output, for the same reason.

If you do want to use the s1 remotely I've hooked up an Xvive IEM system to the ⅛" jack on an s1 for experimental purposes. The XLR transmitter goes in the mixer output and signal level is about right across the system. Battery life is good for 3x45min sets.

Latency is less than 5ms, which is negligible.
Thanks! That saves me from finding out the hard way!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:19 AM

Ear Fatigue?

I've used mine hundreds of times, gigged with it using the 2 mic inputs for micing guitar/dobro/mando and voice lined out into my L1-Compact.

It's gives a little more stage, a little more spread, a little more monitor, I totally LOVE my S1-Pro.

Ear Fatigue?

I think ya'll are nuts...

Coo Coo for Cocoa puffs....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-09-2022, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
It seems very expensive - but I can see the advantage for me of having a battery powered speaker with bluetooth that I could place out front (not behind) and then use a small bluetooth mixer with 48v phantom going to a single large condenser mic' stage centre. It would be the ability to place the speaker out front on a stand without any cables as trip hazards that would appeal to me. But I expect that there are much cheaper options than the Bose S1 Pro that would do the same job to the standard required for simple stage sound reinforcement.

The way I like to play would not work with any sort of speaker system that sits behind me. So the Bose wouldn't be hard on my ears as I wouldn't be the one in front of it!!!
Another thing that I found to be problematic (in my experiments) with the Bose S1 is that using a single large condenser mic (ETL Edwina, in my case) it was impossible to get the sound loud enough without awful feedback. Even outside with no reflective surfaces and even with the S1 placed fully out front in every position possible I got feedback regardless of ToneMatch position or EQ. I'm not sure why - it could very well have been my lack of experience - but I very quickly abandoned the idea. I wondered if the S1's excellent sound dispersion had anything to do with it.

Either way, I'd make sure you try that out before you buy one. You are also right about the price - they are expensive. Another downside of the Bose product line is you are paying a premium price for the name and almost universally can find something of equal quality for less or better quality for the same price or sometime less. As you know, in the higher-end sound reproduction equipment (and guitar!) business, 'quality' quickly becomes very subjective.

I owned and gigged with a dual Bose S1 Pro and EAE StompMix X6 system for years and loved it. I eventually moved on to the EV30M (which is awesome) but I still own both S1's and the X6. The S1's got a TON of usage this past summer as very convenient, portable and battery operated speakers for playing loud music outside while we worked on our house and yard. Even after all these years the batteries would still go a full 5-6 hours blasting music streamed from my phone via Bluetooth.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:26 AM

I’ve often used my S1 Pros with usually 4 condenser mics via a mixer in monitor duties without any problems. Basically condensers are not more prone to feedback than other mics.

Some things to consider:
The Edwina has a sensitivity of 11mV/Pa, a SM58 about 1.8 mV/Pa.
Most condensers are more linear than dynamics, which might have a dip in the feedback relevant frequency.
The cardoid polar pattern of the Edwina might be wider than the on of a SM58 or similar mic.
A low mid feedback might be caused by the low mid resonances of the S1, which should be dialed out with an external eq.

the missing link might be a good and flexibel eq. 2-band eqs make me struggle.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-09-2022, 07:51 AM

I also use mine for Radio Heartland and/or Radio Free Phoenix bluetoothed to my iPhone when working on the house many hours a week.

No fatigue.

Ever.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Ear Fatigue?

I've used mine hundreds of times, gigged with it using the 2 mic inputs for micing guitar/dobro/mando and voice lined out into my L1-Compact.

It's gives a little more stage, a little more spread, a little more monitor, I totally LOVE my S1-Pro.

Ear Fatigue?

I think ya'll are nuts...

Coo Coo for Cocoa puffs....

I believe it’s the harshness from that “tone match” setting and certain pickups. With my K & K’s it’s shrill…very shrill.
As previously stated, I quit using it. I switch mine to “off” and EQ from there. Much better.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-09-2022, 12:12 PM

I was playing with a Condenser mic and having feedback problems until I flipped the low-cut switch and it fixed the problem..
It was a Cheap Behringer SB78A but I like it for live use..
Old 10-09-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I believe it’s the harshness from that “tone match” setting and certain pickups.
Yea, I never use that, just mics. SM57 for instruments, and SM58 for vocals.

And the bluetooth from my iPhone with some Gillian and Dave during breaks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification