The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-17-2019, 11:02 PM

Default Transferring DAT files to a more modern digital device

First, let me state that I have less than zero knowledge about this topic, so if I'm making wrong assumptions or using incorrect terminology, please forgive and correct me.

I have an old Denon DAT deck in good working condition, and about 15 DAT tapes that I would like to transfer to either a computer hard drive or some other storage device such as a flash drive or CD. On the right side of the DAT deck are these outputs: Phones (with a level control), Line Out, Digital In/Out, and Optical In. The options I have for receiving these files are a Mac Mini (2018 vintage), an ASUS PC laptop (2018 vintage), and a Zoom H5. I'm assuming that the Phones and Line Out are analog, and that the Optical In is irrelevant to this post. The Phones, Line Out and Digital In/Out all look like standard 1/4"-size plugs. I'm hoping to transfer the files from a digital format to a digital format without converting to analog in between, since I assume this will cause some loss of signal.

Basically, I just want to preserve some old memories at the highest possible quality that I can. Given that information, can anyone suggest how to proceed from here? What sort of cables and/or additional equipment do I need? All suggestions gratefully received, with thanks.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:58 AM

I've done this before. I'm going to assume your DAT recorder has SPDIF In and out (they look like old school RCA jacks)

If you want to keep it on the cheap side I'd look for a used usb interface that has SPDIF in and out and use that for your transfer. You should be able to find something cheap that will work for the intended purpose. As far as cables all you would need is a SPDIF cable.

Last edited by Woodstock School Of Music; 03-18-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM

Woodstock School Of Music, I sent you a PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
First, let me state that I have less than zero knowledge about this topic, so if I'm making wrong assumptions or using incorrect terminology, please forgive and correct me.

I have an old Denon DAT deck in good working condition, and about 15 DAT tapes that I would like to transfer to either a computer hard drive or some other storage device such as a flash drive or CD. On the right side of the DAT deck are these outputs: Phones (with a level control), Line Out, Digital In/Out, and Optical In. The options I have for receiving these files are a Mac Mini (2018 vintage), an ASUS PC laptop (2018 vintage), and a Zoom H5. I'm assuming that the Phones and Line Out are analog, and that the Optical In is irrelevant to this post. The Phones, Line Out and Digital In/Out all look like standard 1/4"-size plugs. I'm hoping to transfer the files from a digital format to a digital format without converting to analog in between, since I assume this will cause some loss of signal.

Basically, I just want to preserve some old memories at the highest possible quality that I can. Given that information, can anyone suggest how to proceed from here? What sort of cables and/or additional equipment do I need? All suggestions gratefully received, with thanks.
If any of your receiving digital devices has an spdif input, all you need is one proper cable to connect the chosen device to your DAT machine.

I have working DATs at my studio and do this kind of work on a regular basis. I'm in Seattle.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Thanks, Rick. I'm going to visit the gentleman at the Woodstock School of Music, since he's near where I live. BTW, your version of "Temptation Rag" is the best I've ever heard.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
Thanks, Rick. I'm going to visit the gentleman at the Woodstock School of Music, since he's near where I live. BTW, your version of "Temptation Rag" is the best I've ever heard.
Thanks! Happy you like it.

RR
Old 03-19-2019, 08:23 AM

Rick,

I am now pissed that I forgot you were in Seattle. Kathy and I were out there last September. We were art a hotel on Lake Union for about a week and met up with relatives of hers and other friends.

Pretty town!

Regards,

Ty

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD