The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-24-2019, 06:55 PM

Holy cow Steve, I know you have been busy and have mentioned this maple OM to me, but you did not tell me it was the most beautiful guitar you have ever made. I mean seriously dude, that thing is out of this world gorgeous. I am humbled you built that for B.I.G. I can't wait to hear it.

If that guitar makes anyone change their mind about wanting to come I don't blame you, just PM me as we did order extra BBQ just in case. This is going to be quite a weekend!!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

The next guitar I'm bringing to the Guitarpalooza is another Eclipse OM, which, since its inception in 2016, has been the runaway most popular guitar in my lineup. The OM size category seems to have everything that most players want, with no compromise. I love makin' 'em, and playin' 'em too.
This one sports some gorgeous Cocobolo back and sides, a Sinker Redwood top, scoop cutaway, a 25"- 25.5" multiscale, arm and rib bevels, Omega Headstock, sound port with inlay, multi-segmented backstrip and end graft, and Macassar ebony body and neck trim, fingerboard, and bridge.
I built this guitar last year, and it has matured beautifully. It has a big, robust, colorful sound, perfect for D- and C-based open tunings (and standard too). If you're coming to the show, please give this guitar a test drive, and tell me what you think. I think it's one of my best ever, but what do I know?

I have one more in the stable, but I need to get some dinner rustled up before I pass out from hunger.
Also, I'm pretty sure Joel will be posting some photos of his guitars tonight, including an absolutely stunning Cocobolo/Sitka guitar that will incite a highly immodest lust reaction in many people.
More soon... Thanks, everyone.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Holy cow Steve, I know you have been busy and have mentioned this maple OM to me, but you did not tell me it was the most beautiful guitar you have ever made. I mean seriously dude, that thing is out of this world gorgeous. I am humbled you built that for B.I.G. I can't wait to hear it.

If that guitar makes anyone change their mind about wanting to come I don't blame you, just PM me as we did order extra BBQ just in case. This is going to be quite a weekend!!!!
Heh heh... Tom, you rock my world, Brother. Aren't you glad I decided to NOT paint the Quilted Maple blue? I sure am. Best to let her be what she is- a natural blonde.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:40 PM

Steve, I don't know what to say. I wish I had Ben Wilborn's vocabulary. I am glad you did not stain it blue, but I bet it still would have been stunning. Now for the second guitar, wow, what a beautiful set of woods, the sinker redwood top and the Cocobolo back, just mesmerizing. I can't wait to hold these guys and give them a listen.

It was worth hosting this party just to be able to try these guitars first! This could end up setting me back more than it has already hahaha!

And, you still have one more to go!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

When Tom invited me to be an exhibiting luthier at his first, inaugural B.I.G. show, I felt greatly honored, but, like, WHY is he including me in the company of people like Kostal, Sexauer, S. Kinnaird, Wilborn, Watts, and all the other luminous beings attending. After all, I'm just a mere mortal, and a pretty shabby one at that. These other guys occupy a higher order of Being.

The last guitar show I attended was the Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival in 2015, produced by my friend Bob Singer; and since it seems that the 2015 Memphis show was the first and only one, I have been operating in a relative vacuum since then. Now I have this great opportunity to re-connect with some of my favorite people, albeit in a much smaller and more intimate setting.

But I quickly determined that this was a great chance to make a public testament, and build a couple guitars that embody what I consider my true calling.
I love building spec guitars. I've made my business building custom instruments for a diverse array of clients, and they are the art directors on each of those projects- mostly. I feel honored to be be asked to make instruments for people, that they have wished for and dreamed about for SO LONG. And I have made so many wonderful, life-long friends in this work...

But when I make the guitars I alone want to make, entirely according to my whimsey, I feel liberated, not only from a steady stream of income and sustenance (), but also from being nudged away from my peculiar design sensibilities. It's like, if I won a lotto jackpot, and making a living wasn't so much of a concern anymore, I would still build as many guitars as I could fit into one lifetime, but they would all be exactly the ones I want to make. I know that's a selfish attitude, but I'm sixty-one years old now, and I've paid a lot of dues... so yeah, I'm really loving every chance I get to art-direct my own projects.

Here's one I'm really proud of. And I owe Tom more thanks than I can even express for making this happen. This is a Zephyr 00 model, a little guitar with the heart and courage of a lion, which makes all the toil seem like a two-month vacation in Paradise.
Back and sides are Brazilian Rosewood. SPECTACULAR color and figure in this wood. The soundboard is AAAA bearclaw Sitka Spruce from Alaska. Once again, I used a lot of Macassar Ebony for trim and appointments. The whole guitar is purfled with cross-grain Zebra Wood, in three-line purflings with red veneer lines. Scoop cutaway, arm and rib bevels, and dual side sound ports, with sliders, so they can be played open, closed, or anywhere in between.

The scale length is a straight 25", with a 1 13/16" nut and 2 5/16" string spread at the saddle, optimized for fingerstyle.

I designed this guitar for the recording studio. The sound ports enable an impressive amount of custom sound-shaping, and microphone placement. If you play this guitar, be sure to try all the configurations, and have a friend play it for you so you can check out the different ways it projects sound. It's a pretty cool experience.

The headstock is a Pogoda style slot-head, with Schertler Swiss-made tuners.

Okay, I get it: Just shut up and show us the pictures. Okay then.

I'm so grateful for this community here at AGF. Thank you all for your freindship. I look eagerly forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the B.I.G. gathering with Tom and Kathy, WOW, just a few short days from now. The guitars have all been built at this point; Now we can look forward to building some lifetime memories. Be well, y'all, and travel safe! See you there!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:40 AM
Music soothes the soul!

B.I.G. is THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:59 AM

Counting the days now.... Steve's pictures of these gorgeous guitars have me ready to come now! But I guess I should wait for the guitars to show up

Weather looks pretty good, Tom. The report I checked said some rain possible on Saturday- hope that doesn't happen. But warm!!! I'm packing long sleeve t-shirts and a nice sweater with no buttons so I'm ready to play great guitars whether it is hot or cold!

See y'll soon!!!

beth
Old 03-25-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Holy Smokes--this just keeps getting better and better!

So much to experience in the week ahead!

This isn't going to be BIG--it's going to be HUGE! MAGNANIMOUS!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Smile Shipped the JK Brown Bomb today...

Just shipped off the John Kinnaird "brown bomb" USPS priority.

It should be there Wednesday.

Tom, I know you're gonna have a Lotta Guitars around there, but you are welcome to open it and check it out if you want. No worries either way!

I must say I feel more secure shipping this one that any guitar I've shipped in the past. As it's swaddled like a baby in the Super Duper mainstage case I got from Bradley Charles.

I hope all is not too frantic, and I'm really looking forward to this shindig!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Just shipped off the John Kinnaird "brown bomb" USPS priority.

It should be there Wednesday.

Tom, I know you're gonna have a Lotta Guitars around there, but you are welcome to open it and check it out if you want. No worries either way!

I must say I feel more secure shipping this one that any guitar I've shipped in the past. As it's swaddled like a baby in the Super Duper mainstage case I got from Bradley Charles.

I hope all is not too frantic, and I'm really looking forward to this shindig!

Paul
It’ll be fine. I always get nervous shipping my guitars, too, but it’s pretty rare for them to get damaged if they’re well packed. See you there!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:55 PM

Yes, getting close now. Thanks again Steve for posting you builds, I mean holy cow...

We are getting all the final details ready and keeping track of all the shipments etc.

Beth, we can count on them to get the temp right, but rain seems to be a wild shot in the dark. Kathy said the other day was listed at 80% chance of rain and we never saw a drop.

If it rains, we are going to get to know each other quite well hahaha. Big house, but not that big hahaha.

See y'all next Saturday!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tick tick tick....Day after tomorrow, we hit the road for points west.

I have some more eye candy for you guys. I'm posting some photos of the Joel Teel (Two Hands) guitars that will be at the show for everyone to try out. They are all three world class guitars.
For some reason, when I linked Joel to my Flikr account, where we keep our online photos, he was not able to download and post them here. I guess the folks at Yahoo (owners of Flikr) are messing around with their systems again. I wish they would just get it right, and then leave it alone for awhile.
Anyway, I was able to post my photos last night, so now, here are some pics of Joel's three guitars.

Joel is building two models of his own unique design. There's a 000, called the Luna (Moon) and a GA or 0000 size called the Solis (Sun). All three of these guitars have Mastergrade Sitka tops from Alaska.
First, the Indian Rosewood Luna...

This EIR/Sitka Luna is a Dream guitar. If you're at the show, try to get a chance to play it!
Next, a very fine Solis model, with Cocobolo back and sides. The bindings and trim are high-flame, silvery Pyinma wood from SE Asia. The Cocobolo is close to perfect quartersawn. Very elegant, and phenomenal tone!

Next, the newest Solis guitar, another Cocobolo guitar. This one is true Mastergrade. The back and sides closely resemble old growth Brazilian in color and figure. This guitar is less than a week old, but it sounds superb. It scares me to think how good it will be in a month, or a year from now, when it begins to mature.

So if anyone out there has been sitting on the fence, trying to decide whether to come to the BIG show, this ought to seal the deal for you. Come to the show and check out all the guitars. I think you'll be blown away by the quality of Joel's work. I work with him every day, and I sure am!

See you all this weekend! Travel safe!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 PM

Packing my bags tonight.

Well, actually, I returned home last evening (from 2 weeks hanging in refugee camps in Lesvos, Greece, handing my went-to-WWII 1943 to refugees to play). I simply won't unpack. I've visited Texas enough times to know that not only are clean underclothes not required, they're rare.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Packing my bags tonight.

Well, actually, I returned home last evening (from 2 weeks hanging in refugee camps in Lesvos, Greece, handing my went-to-WWII 1943 to refugees to play). I simply won't unpack. I've visited Texas enough times to know that not only are clean underclothes not required, they're rare.
Just make sure to bring some pants!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Packing my bags tonight.

Well that may be your experience, but I feel obligated to tell you that clean underclothes are required at B.I.G. please. Thank you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop