The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Default I got to do

...a small project with Ken Burns. He came to San Antonio for a couple of days several years ago and I got to spend some time with him. He spoke at a special event we held. He's brilliant, but he seemed unfailingly serious.

He also cut three of my scripts for the PBS station where I worked then, KLRN. He read the first one and said "Hey, this is pretty good!"

"Can I get you to say that on camera?" I responded.

Not knowing I'm a jokester, he kind of scowled.
"I'm just kidding" I said.

Here's one of those scripts, with his hand-written change to it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jadina...-6antk1-5rmbrF
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 10-10-2019, 12:09 PM

Default Ken Burns documentary

Earlier this month I was able to google around and find the ability to view this documentary without any sign ups or logins.

Has that changed? Local PBS stations suddenly want you to sign up. And I cant access episodes on YouTube any longer either.

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:08 PM

I've noticed more and more stations want me to "sign up."
Unless there's some good reason to do so, I don't.

I've accessed the PBS channel on my Roku device probably since it first was offered. At some point, they started asking for viewers to register and log in to view the content. At first I balked, but there's a lot of good content there, so I gave in.

I have yet to receive a single email or solicitation from PBS.
So far, I don't see any down side.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
... I have yet to receive a single email or solicitation from PBS. So far, I don't see any down side.
Would that be a problem if you did? You're watching their content and they are publicly funded. This is a publicly funded site.........

Last edited by DenverSteve; 10-10-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Really enjoyed the show featuring Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs et al, and the tribute to bluegrass. Sadly, not even a mention of Chet Atkins!!
One of the earlier episodes covered Chef's early years with the Carter Family at some length, particularly how their move to Nashville and the Opry was delayed since the Opry didn't want them to bring Chet with them - the music city regulars were afraid he would take all their session work. The Carter's were firm - they weren't coming without Chet. When the Opry finally gave in they all went to Nashville. And Chet pretty much did get the majority of that town's session work because he was such a great player with a solid work ethic.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Hard to accept the snub on Chet's playing. I don't think other amazing guitarists such as Roy Clark, Jerry Reid or Glen Campbell got a mention? By the way we had some awesome country artists up here too!!
You need to watch the whole thing. I work rotating 12 hour shifts so I haven't seen every episode myself. But one episode devoted several minutes to Roy Clark, his excellent musicianship and Hee Haw days. There were several interview segments with him as well. Glen Campbell, his time with The Wrecking Crew and his own TV variety show were also discussed. And in an earlier post I described how Chet Atkins' playing was covered a lot in one episode.

Since I have not watched every episode yet I haven't launched into any indignant tirades on those who were "left out." Many of you obviously feel compelled to complain about this series despite not even watching all of it! Everyone here is welcome to raise a lot of money and devote multiple years of their time to write, produce and distribute their own version of the perfect music documentary.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Country Music - Ken Burns documentary.

For my fellow Brits - I'm delighted to say that this documentary series will be on BBC Channel 4 on Friday at 9.30. Episodes 1 & 2 then then, I guess on following Fridays.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

That’s great that it will finally shown in Britain. It’s an excellent series and not not be missed.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:47 PM

Default Ken Burns' "Country Music"

Forgive me if you guys have already discussed this (Search results showed a discussion about early episodes and Depression-era Martins).

I've been working my way through this - found the early episodes to be educational, insightful and fascinating. Episodes 5 and 6, however, have been absolutely mind-blowing and perspective-altering. Granted, the narrative is getting into eras and people I am a little more familiar with, but these are some of the finest documentary episodes I have ever seen on any subject.

Johnny Cash transcended country, music and social "realities." And while I thought I knew the Kris Kristofferson story, it turns out I did not! I could gush on and on, but anyone who loves music (really, of any type) needs to watch this. The "color" guys - Marty Stuart, Vince Gill, Charley Pride, Larry Gatlin (over 100 in all) provide such a great context. Watching them recite lyrics is inspiring - they are clearly so moved and affected.

Great stuff.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb0 View Post
Forgive me if you guys have already discussed this (Search results showed a discussion about early episodes and Depression-era Martins).

I've been working my way through this - found the early episodes to be educational, insightful and fascinating. Episodes 5 and 6, however, have been absolutely mind-blowing and perspective-altering. Granted, the narrative is getting into eras and people I am a little more familiar with, but these are some of the finest documentary episodes I have ever seen on any subject.

Johnny Cash transcended country, music and social "realities." And while I thought I knew the Kris Kristofferson story, it turns out I did not! I could gush on and on, but anyone who loves music (really, of any type) needs to watch this. The "color" guys - Marty Stuart, Vince Gill, Charley Pride, Larry Gatlin (over 100 in all) provide such a great context. Watching them recite lyrics is inspiring - they are clearly so moved and affected.

Great stuff.
I like the way Dwight Yoakam sings the songs he's talking about. I've heard him do it in other interviews and always thought it was pretty cool.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-27-2019, 02:00 PM

I've heard so many good things about this film. I really liked the Ken Burns' Jazz, Lewis & Clark, and National Parks series. Looking forward to seeing Country Music.
Gibson A4 Mandolin (1913)
Old 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

...just finished episode 7 this morning....so much to like about this extraordinary series....I will keep it on my DVR and watch the whole thing again next year....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic