The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-07-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
... If you are playing at home and not gigging out, a 1 or 5 watt tube amp will be more than enough. ...
Example: my little Marshall DSL1 combo is more than enough for playing in my apartment - - - in the reduced power setting ( 0.1W?).
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-07-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
I bought the Blackstar Artist 10 6L6 anniversary edition on closeout a couple of years ago. This is the predecessor of the Studio 10 6L6 but apart from cosmetics they appear to be the same thing. I really enjoy this amp but play with single coils. It is great, but the 'overdrive' is SS. It stays pretty clean without the drive enabled, but there is tube breakup with the gain right up and 'overdrive' disengaged. From memory these were more popular with Single Coil players and the EL34 and KT88 versions were more popular with humbuckers. I bought this instead of the Vox AC10 as it has an effects loop which is handy for a looper and time based effects (I practice a lot with a looper). I doubt you can get a satisfying tone playing at "bedroom levels". When quiet it just doesn't have that same feeling even with the gain up and master low. I think this is true of most valve amps.
One thing to consider is that if you like to plug in your phone etc to play with backing tracks, valve amps are not going to do this well. For this I use my Yamaha THR 10C. This is a fantastic amp for quiet practice and gets loud enough too. More versatile than the Blackstar and I probably play this over 90% of the time for this reason. Both are rated at 10 watts but the Blackstar is way louder.
I also tried the Blues Jr in store but found it went from nothing with the master right down but then slight adjustments and it was quickly too loud, not a gradual change, very finicky. In it's defense I don't think it was designed to be played quietly.
If you really want a valve amp that plays nicely at quiet levels check out the Blackstar HT-1r or HT-5r. These get rave reviews for playing in front of the TV etc.
Good luck in your search.
Wow that HT-5 sounds amazing. I also like the fact that it has a USB so you can use it like an audio interface. We have a dealer here, I'll ask them. Hopefully they still are!

It's also got an effects loop... and I love that 5 to 0.5 Watt option. This is ticking a lot of boxes for me. This might be it. Now I just gotta find a way to try it out asap

Last edited by hatamoto; 04-07-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:02 AM

I haven't played the Mk2 version. When I bought the Artist 10 the HT-5r had just been released (but not available in South Australia) and my amp was discounted. I played the HT-5 original version and it was cool, but my amp sounded better, and was a great price.
If the Mk2 had been available, it would have been difficult as it is still more than my amp cost but the extra features of the Mk 2 vs the original make it very appealing. it looks like a really cool amp for home situations and the emulated out for headphones or PA is cool for either home use or performing.
To answer your original question - new guitars are always nice, but I think you will see more difference from a new amp. If you really want single coils in the future you will get one (or even better get P90's to sit in between).
Good luck in the search and let us know how you go.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
hatamoto,
The folks checking in on this thread, namely Roylor4, Seanr, Rockabilly69, know of what they speak. There are so many beautiful tube low wattage gems to play out there it’s worth the effort to try out as many as you can. The adage less is more has never been more accurate than in today’s small amp market. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
And as a side note, along with a pair of SuperChamp x2’s, I also use a VoxAC10c1 and a Blackstar HT20mkII with excellent low volume results.
I’m a grandpa with a four year old and a one year old living with my wife and I, so sound control is mandatory!😹
Good luck CoolCat!
Thanks Chickee. Have you ever compared the 20 watt version to the HT5RH MKII? It seems like the store only has the 1 watt version and the 20 watt version. I really like the 5 watter but I could also go for the 20. I like the 1 watt but the 8" speaker is a bit of a turn off, and since my valvetronix houses the same speaker size, I don't really see it as an upgrade.

They have all versions as amp heads, but I have to buy a cabinet which defeats the purpose of cost effective. I've considered building my own cabinet but I don't have woodworking experience so that's a maaaaaaybe.

Anyways, back to my point.

Are you able to get good clean and crunch headroom when you switch to 2 watts within reasonable volumes?

What about edge-of-breakup sound for both clean and crunch? Can you still achieve them within similar volumes?
Old 04-08-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
I bought the Blackstar Artist 10 6L6 anniversary edition on closeout a couple of years ago. This is the predecessor of the Studio 10 6L6 but apart from cosmetics they appear to be the same thing. I really enjoy this amp but play with single coils. It is great, but the 'overdrive' is SS. It stays pretty clean without the drive enabled, but there is tube breakup with the gain right up and 'overdrive' disengaged. From memory these were more popular with Single Coil players and the EL34 and KT88 versions were more popular with humbuckers. I bought this instead of the Vox AC10 as it has an effects loop which is handy for a looper and time based effects (I practice a lot with a looper). I doubt you can get a satisfying tone playing at "bedroom levels". When quiet it just doesn't have that same feeling even with the gain up and master low. I think this is true of most valve amps.
One thing to consider is that if you like to plug in your phone etc to play with backing tracks, valve amps are not going to do this well. For this I use my Yamaha THR 10C. This is a fantastic amp for quiet practice and gets loud enough too. More versatile than the Blackstar and I probably play this over 90% of the time for this reason. Both are rated at 10 watts but the Blackstar is way louder.
I also tried the Blues Jr in store but found it went from nothing with the master right down but then slight adjustments and it was quickly too loud, not a gradual change, very finicky. In it's defense I don't think it was designed to be played quietly.
If you really want a valve amp that plays nicely at quiet levels check out the Blackstar HT-1r or HT-5r. These get rave reviews for playing in front of the TV etc.
Good luck in your search.
How hard do you need to crank it to get nice boosted clean and crunch tones? Do you need to go louder for edge-to-breakup?

The HT5RH MKII is out of stock so I'm still considering the 6L6. Do you think if I get an attenuator pedal I could use it for night jams?
Old 04-09-2021, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
Thanks Chickee. Have you ever compared the 20 watt version to the HT5RH MKII? It seems like the store only has the 1 watt version and the 20 watt version. I really like the 5 watter but I could also go for the 20. I like the 1 watt but the 8" speaker is a bit of a turn off, and since my valvetronix houses the same speaker size, I don't really see it as an upgrade.

They have all versions as amp heads, but I have to buy a cabinet which defeats the purpose of cost effective. I've considered building my own cabinet but I don't have woodworking experience so that's a maaaaaaybe.

Anyways, back to my point.

Are you able to get good clean and crunch headroom when you switch to 2 watts within reasonable volumes?

What about edge-of-breakup sound for both clean and crunch? Can you still achieve them within similar volumes?

This is the Blackstar rig. Excellent clean channel with great headroom, and dirty channel is not an over the top metal only zone. Very musical. Both channels have a boost function also. Reverb is not bad at all. This was a project half stack rig for me, but I would feel very confident recommending the 20 watt Combo being it’s the same exact head. I am sure the 5 watt would have the same good performance and solid build quality as this does. Go with what you really want!
Old 04-09-2021, 08:49 AM

The Orange Rocker 15 might be a good option. It has a dirty and clean channel, fx loop, and the ability to run at 0.5, 1, 7, or 15 watts.

(I don't have one nor have ever played one, so just basing this rec on the specs and some youtube videos).
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 04-09-2021, 10:20 AM

My best friend jams w/us frequently. He has owned the 5, 20 and 40 watt Blackstar combos. They all sound great, but the 40 is very heavy, so he got a 20 too. He traded the 5 in to get the 40, so I have heard and/or played through all of them. The 5 and 20 sound the same except for volume capability and are similar in size and weight. If you play the 20 and like it, you will also like the 5 - there is no difference in tone.

I understand your reluctance to go from an 8" to another 8" combo. Just keep in mind, not all 8" speakers are =. Quilter makes a great combo using an 8" too.

I see the 5 watter used in my area all the time for around $250.

I think for your application the 5, 10 or 20 watt combos will give you everything you need (and more) and a 12" speaker. I wouldn't be nervous about buying any of them. Very solid pieces of gear.....

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-12-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
How hard do you need to crank it to get nice boosted clean and crunch tones? Do you need to go louder for edge-to-breakup?

The HT5RH MKII is out of stock so I'm still considering the 6L6. Do you think if I get an attenuator pedal I could use it for night jams?
Hi Hatamoto. You have to crank it without the overdrive engaged to get any crunch. You might get a bit more with humbuckers than I get. You could engage the drive and lower the master and get some good tones, but I think it would still be too loud if there are others in your house trying to sleep etc.
With my Yamaha THR 10 I can play happily in the lounge while my partner sleeps in the nest room - primarily because the speakers are about ear height whereas a regular amp is sitting on the floor and need to be louder to get to my ears - which means it is also louder wherever else the sound goes.
I think an attenuator is overcapitalizing for this amp.
I recommend trying the HT-1 if it is available, otherwise I would get the HT-5r from an online dealer if it is not available nearby.
Seriously the results from the Yamaha THR series is amazing for low volume volume playing and I'm sure the Vox Adio would be just as good. I understand the desire to get a valve amp - which is why I bought mine, and I'm very happy with it but I only get it out once a fortnight at most.
Good luck in your search and let us know how you go.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:12 AM

Update:

I finally got to try out both amps. The HT5R MKII and the Studio 10 6L6. I went home with the 6L6. I was 99% sure that I was going to settle with the HT5 before getting to the store, but good thing I brought my guitar with me. The Studio 10 produced a better tone on my LP. I found the HT5 too boxy and almost too similar to my Vox (not in a bad way). The bass was also overpowering which I didn't like.

The Studio 10 was well balanced and its tone is more "alive" to me.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion, really happy with my purchase!
Old 04-18-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Update:

I finally got to try out both amps. The HT5R MKII and the Studio 10 6L6. I went home with the 6L6. I was 99% sure that I was going to settle with the HT5 before getting to the store, but good thing I brought my guitar with me. The Studio 10 produced a better tone on my LP. I found the HT5 too boxy and almost too similar to my Vox (not in a bad way). The bass was also overpowering which I didn't like.

The Studio 10 was well balanced and its tone is more "alive" to me.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion, really happy with my purchase!
Congrats! Smart move to bring your guitar with you to try out the amps. Make sure you get an overdrive pedal too. You don't have to spend a lot for a great OD, like the EHX Soul Food.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:31 PM

Hatamoto, wonderful you found the sound you were looking for. I like the Blackstar sound with my LP also. Which color did you choose? The cream/red or the seafoam/wheat? Best of luck with your new rig!
Old 04-18-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Hatamoto, wonderful you found the sound you were looking for. I like the Blackstar sound with my LP also. Which color did you choose? The cream/red or the seafoam/wheat? Best of luck with your new rig!
I got the cream/red version. It smells good too when tubes get hot
It almost feels like my Les Paul, which is my only electric, is brand new again. I never realized that most of the tone is from the amp. The string separation is night and day from my valvetronix.

If I ever plan to get another guitar, maybe a single coil or a split coil semi hollow, I don't think it needs to be an expensive one
Old 04-19-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I got the cream/red version. It smells good too when tubes get hot
It almost feels like my Les Paul, which is my only electric, is brand new again. I never realized that most of the tone is from the amp. The string separation is night and day from my valvetronix.

If I ever plan to get another guitar, maybe a single coil or a split coil semi hollow, I don't think it needs to be an expensive one
That Cream/Red color option is really eye catching! You are going to have so much fun and enjoyment exploring your guitar and new amp. All the best to you.
fd
Old 04-23-2021, 10:02 AM

Another amp before guitar vote, but you do owe yourself a nice single coil guitar too!

If buying used is an option, a THD Univalve is really a tonefull design, and one that lets you change tubes, etc. to finesse what you want. Would be in your price range, but you’d need a cabinet too.

There are a Champ type clones that would also give you great sound at home volume. Most will be outside your budget, but some (Trinity and Ceratone come to mind) won’t be too far above it. My main amp is an Allen; his take on Fender is superlative, but I think his smallest amps start around $1K.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars