The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-11-2021, 08:03 PM

Default Another prospective Emerald buyer w/ questions!

Ok, I've got it bad and will probably pull the string on an Emerald x30 before too long. Two questions please for those in the know. 1) Is Emerald custom options pricing anywhere? Seems the webpage may be updating. I don't plan to go wild but would like to price out a few options I may go with before I lay money down. 2) Has anyone noticed in tonal changes with different wood veneers? Thanks - this forum has been fantastic for my research!
Old 03-12-2021, 06:47 AM

1) When I ordered my custom Emerald guitars I contacted sales for a quote. Even then I did not get a pricing per option, just the grand total.

2) Sorry, no veneers for me. And no pickups* or hard cases either. That is a good way to compensate for custom options.

* They did put a pickup in my X7 by mistake though.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 03-12-2021, 08:12 AM

Lay it out for Sales that you would like pricing for different options. They should provide you each piece individually
Old 03-12-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

According to Alistair, there is no significant difference in tone with or without a veneer.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
According to Alistair, there is no significant difference in tone with or without a veneer.
I’ve heard that stated before, but does anyone believe that it is true? I’m going to be going over my observations in a soon to be NCFGD, but infusing/layering a veneer of wood with the existing CF has to have some impact yes? It would seem to be more remarkable if it didn’t have an impact.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 03-13-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
I’ve heard that stated before, but does anyone believe that it is true? I’m going to be going over my observations in a soon to be NCFGD, but infusing/layering a veneer of wood with the existing CF has to have some impact yes? It would seem to be more remarkable if it didn’t have an impact.
Why would one not believe him?

Capt. Jim quoted him saying there was no “significant difference” in the tone. That’s different than “some impact”, as you stated.

I would agree that it would make “some impact”, as well as believe it’s not “significant”.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-13-2021, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Why would one not believe him?

Capt. Jim quoted him saying there was no “significant difference” in the tone. That’s different than “some impact”, as you stated.

I would agree that it would make “some impact”, as well as believe it’s not “significant”.
I can only go off of my experience and my conversation with LA guitar sales.

My own experience is comparing a RainSong without the veneer to my Nashville jumbo. The only wrinkle there is they are not technically the same body size (WS versus jumbo) so I acknowledge it isn't truly apples-to-apples.

I got my D-15S from LAGS and although I didn’t get my RainSong from them, I knew they were a big CF dealer and I asked them about their experience with the veneers and they certainly said it makes a difference in their opinion- a more warm woody tone. And they used to be an emerald dealer before they dropped their dealerships and noticed the same trend with emerald.

I suppose for some individuals it might not be noticeable but with my fingerstyle it certainly changed my mind about RainSong after getting the Nashville jumbo.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker

Last edited by boneuphtoner; 03-13-2021 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-21-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
I’ve heard that stated before, but does anyone believe that it is true? .
yes. Wood veneers are thinner than good bond paper. There simply isn't enough mass or thickness to make any discernible difference.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-21-2021, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Kevin told me the same thing. He could have easily said it did make a difference to get a higher $$ sale, but didn’t. The veneer on an Emerald is cosmetic. They are certainly beautiful, and for some it adds to the aesthetic experience. But my priority is tone, and I love the classic black look, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-03-2021, 04:56 PM

Thanks - another question, anyone using these Emeralds on stage regularly? Any issues with feedback? The top sound hole position has me concerned with feeding in to the vocal mic.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staemius View Post
Thanks - another question, anyone using these Emeralds on stage regularly? Any issues with feedback? The top sound hole position has me concerned with feeding in to the vocal mic.
That is a very interesting question. One I hadn't considered. I look forward to the answers people post.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-05-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
There was a question posted here recently about how to craft a feedback buster/soundhole plug for an Emerald. Seems like it might be relevant to your question.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

when I’ve played on stage (indoor & out) I’ve never had feedback problems with my X20-12 due to nearness to my vocal mic
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 04-08-2021, 09:41 AM

Putting half down when it's ordered and the other half ransomed after build makes custom features a lot more affordable.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 04-08-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:

My X30 definitely has issues with feedback, or some other form of resonance with the lower two strings.

One time I was standing there, and thought I heard a low resonance through the monitor. Touched my E and A strings, and it went away. Let them go, and it came back within about 15 seconds. I felt one of them vibrating, but I honestly don't recall which it was.
I took a step to the side to help prevent it.

My RainSong has no such issues. The Emerald body is very, VERY deep. It makes such a boomy low end that it must just be resonating perfectly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber