The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2021, 02:28 PM

Default Spark? Oh, yeah........

So many tones and features in a cheap practice amp. With modeling amps like this coming out at this price-point, foot switch manufacturers read the writing on the subway walls.

Now, a bit larger amp with foot switch controls is probably on the horizon.

jhv
Old 04-06-2021, 01:46 PM

Just ordered one because I really like the iOS interface i've seen on YouTube, seems so much simpler to configure for this electric beginner, and seems more tailored to learning.

I was torn on that versus the versatility of wireless on the Yamaha THR, but with the transmitter + the extra cost it seemed like more than double the price. Looking forward to getting it, hope I don't have trouble. Ordered through Amazon rather than the site so I have some backup should things go badly.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:18 PM

It's a great little amp for practicing and the app is pretty good. The sound of the unit is good - nothing groundbreaking. The only issue with it (and I hope it's now been fixed) is the really annoying hum noise when not using a noise gate and the fact that the noise gate implementation is, well, ****.

The hum is coming from the poor quality power adaptor used by Positive Grid. I've ordered a replacement, we'll see how it goes. Pretty poor to be honest althought it seems to be a hit and miss, so it probably doesn't happen if you're a new house and your electric network is cleaner... I don't know.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glob View Post
It's a great little amp for practicing and the app is pretty good. The sound of the unit is good - nothing groundbreaking. The only issue with it (and I hope it's now been fixed) is the really annoying hum noise when not using a noise gate and the fact that the noise gate implementation is, well, ****.

The hum is coming from the poor quality power adaptor used by Positive Grid. I've ordered a replacement, we'll see how it goes. Pretty poor to be honest althought it seems to be a hit and miss, so it probably doesn't happen if you're a new house and your electric network is cleaner... I don't know.
Thanks for the feedback. I've since read enough reviews complaining about this and got down to practicing with what I have, and decided to go in another direction. I don't need to futz with the sound that much. So I just went all in on the Yamaha THR30ii and the Line 6 G10, so I can easily bring the unit anywhere in the house. I think it's going to make me play more to have it wireless.

Positive Grid granted the cancellation quickly via Amazon and my Yamaha will arrive way faster, coming on Friday.

If you're in the bay area I'll make you a heck of a deal on a Boss Katana 50 and/or a Fishman Loudbox!
Old 04-07-2021, 05:00 AM

I think the Yamaha is a great choice. I leaned towards the spark because I wanted something to help me better understand pedals and make informed choice without having to spend heaps of $$.

The spark price point is actually quite good. It's a shame that a few niggly bits are ruining the implementation. The volume knob for the headphone out being a sore, painful 'mistake' which I am sure they will correct on the next version for example.

Will post back when I get the new power unit to see if that makes it better. At the minute it's irritating, although it's still a great practice amp with some really cool ideas (like the backing track to practice solos and scales).
Old 04-07-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glob View Post
I think the Yamaha is a great choice. I leaned towards the spark because I wanted something to help me better understand pedals and make informed choice without having to spend heaps of $$.

The spark price point is actually quite good. It's a shame that a few niggly bits are ruining the implementation. The volume knob for the headphone out being a sore, painful 'mistake' which I am sure they will correct on the next version for example.

Will post back when I get the new power unit to see if that makes it better. At the minute it's irritating, although it's still a great practice amp with some really cool ideas (like the backing track to practice solos and scales).
Yes, learning about pedals, some of the play along aspects, and the app UI were all very appealing to me, that’s why I was interested. And the price point!

At the end of the day I also thought they’d work out some of the issues in a subsequent release (can’t alter the order of the signal chain), and they’ll have pushed the competition with regard to the app UI. I’ll be interested to see what follows, this clearly seems to be the vision for what amp apps will look like going forward. They've really upped the ante on interface design.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 04-07-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:20 AM

I had thought about it, but I already have a Blackstar ID:Core Beam I was able to snag for $150 (because the cream color was discontinued) that duplicates most of the functionality (i.e. bluetooth, electric, acoustic, bass settings) but doesn't have the app. For learning, I've been using a Fender Mustang Micro - since I can use it to stream bluetooth to my headphones to play along without having to expose the world to my mistakes...
Old 04-09-2021, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've since read enough reviews complaining about this and got down to practicing with what I have, and decided to go in another direction. I don't need to futz with the sound that much. So I just went all in on the Yamaha THR30ii and the Line 6 G10, so I can easily bring the unit anywhere in the house. I think it's going to make me play more to have it wireless.

Positive Grid granted the cancellation quickly via Amazon and my Yamaha will arrive way faster, coming on Friday.

If you're in the bay area I'll make you a heck of a deal on a Boss Katana 50 and/or a Fishman Loudbox!
I think you'll appreciate the THR30ii. My music partner has the Spark and really enjoys it, but he also likes all the minutia of a DAW. I like to play guitar and sing, and find the THR30ii is great for recording, and have given it a go with a line out to my Bose L1c for even more volume.

While the Spark has thousands of options, the THR has better tone (to my ears). Yamaha calls it "a third amp," but I have found I am going to it first up more often than not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars