The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-29-2021, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, definitely not making a trussrod from scratch.

But I sure dig their hair styles.

Bourgeois DR-A / Martin CS D-18 (Adi & flamed hog) / Martin OM-21 / Martin 000-17sm / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E1OM / Eastman E6D
Old 03-29-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I think his book is on the wrong side of a half-century of stale shop practices (Anybody want to make a truss rod? Install a neck?).
That's probably true.

I stopped making my own truss rods about five years ago, when I switched to double-acting rods. I started using a radiused dish about two years ago. Neither of those existed when that book was written. Nor did gauged nut files, gauged nut saws and a pile of other more recent jigs, fixtures and tools. The book pre-dated the use of barrel nuts in guitar making, though the updates to the book switch from the Gurian-era pinned mortise and tenon to barrel nuts.

It presents an interesting opportunity to ponder how guitar making has changed since the book was written. Some things have changed a lot, others not at all. When I started making guitars, the only English language books on guitar making were Sloane's books, Overholtzer's and David Russell Young's: few today would consider those relevant.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:05 PM

Now I feel old

I used Sloane's book for my first and then Cumpiano's was like the bible and now that is old too

Well, I still build in that style. Open work board construction.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Now I feel old

I used Sloane's book for my first and then Cumpiano's was like the bible and now that is old too
Yeah, me too.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

After a couple of busy weeks with work, I was able to do a couple of things on the guitar today.

Setup a makeshift go-bar deck.

Got the back braces glued on and rough carved. The one on the bottom swam a bit on me, and is a touch crooked but it has the virtue of being out of sight once the box is closed.

Used Spanish Cedar for no really good reason other than liking the smell.

I was going to add a seam reinforcement after gluing up the braces (I know that it's usually done first). But got to reading, and a number of folks say that they're unnecessary unless you're using a back-strip. Currently hemming and hawing on it.

Bourgeois DR-A / Martin CS D-18 (Adi & flamed hog) / Martin OM-21 / Martin 000-17sm / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E1OM / Eastman E6D

Last edited by warfrat73; Yesterday at 07:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair