The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-09-2021, 10:52 AM

Default B string buzzing 3rd fret, Cole Clark acoustic

Got an annoying buzz on the B string (2nd thinnest string) and only on the third fret. It's a pretty important Fret / String too for open chords. it's not thudding out, just an annoying buzz that could nearly be ignored. Every other string in every other position on the neck is fine. I am loathe to do anything to the saddle nut or truss rod as I have the action perfect. I am not new to guitar repairs and set ups so have some knowledge though I haven't done much with frets / dressing. Obviously when I finger the third fret it is buzzing out on the 4th fret, one in front. I could try to dress that but have found in the past the problem seems to travel up the neck, then buzzes on the fourth fret etc.

I was wondering would I be able to raise that string alone somehow? One little trick I have done before is place a very thin guitar wire under the string in the nut slot. Seems to stay in place. Haven't tried it on this guitar yet but not sure if I should adjust at the nut or saddle? Probably needs raising at the saddle I guess as adjustments to the nut will be moot when fretting at 3. Is there any technique or trick, or something I could put under that string where the string goes over the saddle?

At that part of the neck, if I was to compensate with the truss rod would I be looking to add relief or straighten (tighten) the rod? I have found with some guitars when you loosen the truss rod the relief doesn't always show up as a bow in the middle of the neck. The neck is nearly dead straight now and action nice and low and that's how I like them. I could raise the saddle or add relief but seems a shame to do that when it is only one string on one fret. Any advice appreciated. By the way I live in remote Thailand so "take it to a reputable Luthier" isn't an option for me.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:46 AM

Could you get a flat edge and lay it across frets 2,3 and 4 along the B string. Just check that the 3 red fret isn’t low at that point?
Old 04-09-2021, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

To experiment, try slipping something thin between the string and the saddle: maybe a piece of aluminum from a can, or thin plastic blister pack material, or (if it will stay there) a piece of guitar string.

Try to determine if a fret, or part of it, is too high or too low. There is a tool for that, but a short metal ruler or straightedge may do well enough.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:36 PM

Don't bother raising the string at the nut unless it buzzes open. You have one of two problems. Either the third fret is low, or the fourth fret is high.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:36 PM

Had a closer look and the frets are fairly pitted. So fingering this string its pushing it down into the worn groove of the fret lowering the string onto the next fret. Maybe past a fret dress, probably a refret or at least change this particular fret but I found a quick fix for now. I lifted the saddle and piezo and slipped a shim of credit card under the peizo, which lifted the saddle on that side. I could have put a new saddle on I guess but the action is so nice now, I really don't want to alter it. Did the trick 100% and no loss of sound quality amplified. I will definitely get a refret done at some stage. Thanks all for the help :-)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Nice work. Taking time to sleep on it and then taking a closer look can help many a situation.

One of the first luthier tricks I discovered was when I took a saddle out for the first time. There was a short piece of very thin hard dark wood? plastic? under the treble side. I had bought the guitar almost new in the 1970s, and had had some work done on it in the 1990s, and don't know when it was put there.

Since then I've measured the thickness of various plastics, including credit cards. They've measured 0.75mm thick (0.03 inches, or 1.9/64 inches.)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:49 AM

Yes that is one of the skills we learn as we get older lol. I used to be like a bull at a gate. I would much rather work on a Fender solid body, they are so simple to do anything to. Acoustics are a much more temperamental animal. I always keep a credit card in my guitar tool box, and normally a piece of aluminum can too. usually use either for shims in neck pockets if needed. What I did today under the saddle really worked well. I know purists advise against putting anything but the flat of the saddle against the bridge slot as that's where all the vibration and transfer of sound takes place but seems to have lost nothing tonewise
at all

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair