The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-05-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Ghost Piezo with K&K Contact Pickup

Has anyone played an X7 with a Ghost Piezo with K&K Contact Pickup? Wonder how it compares with the LR Baggs element option.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-05-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Has anyone played an X7 with a Ghost Piezo with K&K Contact Pickup? Wonder how it compares with the LR Baggs element option.
I have no idea but I wish Emerald would do a demo video with it. Typically anything dual source sounds better than single. I'm already a fan of K&K SBTs so I might be a bit biased, but what I like about a piezo thrown in is that you can turn down the K&K sensitivity and rely more on the piezo in feedback prone scenarios. That's a pretty new Emerald pickup configuration so I doubt many here will have first hand knowledge but I hope I'm wrong!
Old 10-22-2022, 12:19 PM

Thought I'd give this a bump. I'm also interested in the X7 with ghost piezo and K&K. Does anyone have this setup? Is it noticeably better than the Baggs element?

Rainsong WS 1000
Gibson J45
Martin D12-18
Journey OF660
Beard Copper Mountain Resonator
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Emerald X7
Old 10-22-2022, 07:56 PM

I have Ghost + K&K system in my X20 and think it sounds great with ability to blend them to taste. K&K for warmth and Ghost for cut.

I've played other guitars with a Baggs Element and didn't really care for the plugged in tone.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I'm already a fan of K&K SBTs so I might be a bit biased, but what I like about a piezo thrown in is that you can turn down the K&K sensitivity and rely more on the piezo in feedback prone scenarios.
I know this is an old post in an old thread, but I'm not follwing this. To the best of my knowledge a K&K SBT is a piezo pickup. So how do you turn down the K&K (piezo) sensitivity and also rely more on the piezo?

Are we really talking about a small mic (Meridian or Silver Bullet) with the SBT term?
Old 10-23-2022, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I know this is an old post in an old thread, but I'm not follwing this. To the best of my knowledge a K&K SBT is a piezo pickup. So how do you turn down the K&K (piezo) sensitivity and also rely more on the piezo?

Are we really talking about a small mic (Meridian or Silver Bullet) with the SBT term?
You are right. Both pickups are based on piezo technology.

However, when people refer to "piezo" most of the time they actually mean undersaddle. I am positive that the word was used in that context here.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 10-23-2022, 12:54 PM

Default X7 choices

There is also an option with the X7 to have the Ghost Piezo only, without the K&K contact pickups. I am looking at one of their in-stock guitars with such a setup. So, in this case, the question becomes, which is better, the Ghost Piezo or the under saddle Baggs Element.
The Ghost has the advantage of adjustable string height and intonation.
The sound of the Ghost on one of the X10 videos is fantastic.
The X7s with the Ghost Piezos also appear to have a "barn door" compartment, I presume for the battery installation. This appears to be an advantage also.
How do you get at the battery in the Element set-up?
Help me decide!

Rainsong WS 1000
Gibson J45
Martin D12-18
Journey OF660
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Emerald X7
Old 10-23-2022, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

The battery on the Emerald models with the Element is easy to access: reach inside the sound hole; the battery is inside a pouch that Velcros to the side of the guitar. There is enough wiring to extend it to the soundhole to change the battery.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:33 PM

I just ordered an X7 Green from the in-stock inventory, direct from Emerald, not Reverb. The guitar was built with only the Ghost piezo pickup installed, no K&K contact pickups. I emailed them about it and they said they could add on the K&K for $150.00 and it would take 3-5 days. I said yes! That is no more than if they had made it that way from the beginning.

This is good to know that you have the option to upgrade because there are many other X7's in their inventory that only have the ghost system.

So, I will be getting a new X7 with the ghost + K&K system in about 2 weeks. Since there isn't a lot of information about the ghost +K&K system on Emeralds, I will try to provide a review here when I get it.

Rainsong WS 1000
Gibson J45
Martin D12-18
Journey OF660
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Emerald X7
Old 10-25-2022, 04:38 PM

It is good to know that Emerald offered that to you.

I think you will enjoy having Ghost + K&K and blend to taste.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I now wish I’d had the pickup prep work done on my X20 when I bought it in 2018. I find myself wanting to plug it in these days, which is a tad hard to do without a pickup.

I’m contemplating another one, and I’ll probably just go for the standalone K&K - although a K&K/Krivo combo would be ideal for me.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-13-2023, 08:54 AM

Default Volume controls

I'm guessing Vol 1 is for the Ghost Piezo and Vol 2 is for the K&K but don't know for sure - can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-17-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWO2nd View Post
I'm guessing Vol 1 is for the Ghost Piezo and Vol 2 is for the K&K but don't know for sure - can anyone confirm this?
I'm not sure which you are calling Vol 1 & Vol 2? The K&K control is closest to neck and Ghost Piezo is the other IIRC. It will be obvious to the player because K&K adds warmth and Ghost adds brightness and cut. It works great!
Old 06-17-2023, 01:30 PM

The controls on my X20 are labelled Vol 1 & Vol 2 and yes Vol 2 happens to be the one closest to the neck - thanks for the confirmation.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWO2nd View Post
The controls on my X20 are labelled Vol 1 & Vol 2 and yes Vol 2 happens to be the one closest to the neck - thanks for the confirmation.
You bet. I never noticed the controls were labeled. I played an acoustic duet session with my X20 yesterday. The Ghost Piezo + K&K sounded fantastic!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber