The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-02-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I always enjoy your review posts Scott!
I will have to agree 100% with your review. I have the same model Rainsong, and have over 300 shows on it outdoors for the past 3 summers. Solid, dependable snd good sounding...
Nice find!
Thanks, Joe. That's a ringing endorsement of both the Rainsong's ability to perform well and to perform well for a very long time!

Also, for those following or finding this thread for the first time, I had mentioned that I would prefer the LR Baggs Anthem Stage Pro (vs the Element Stage Pro) but that would mean buying a new, high-end Rainsong Vintage or Nashville model at big $$$$ to get that. Turns out that is not the case!

I have it on good authority from prolific AGF and YouTube reviewer (dare I say, YouTube Influencer?!) Aaron Short (AEROUSA) that you can quite easily upgrade an Element Stage Pro to an Anthem Stage Pro by adding the internal mic and swapping out the barn door preamp. Hmmmm...
Old 04-02-2021, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have it on good authority from prolific AGF and YouTube reviewer (dare I say, YouTube Influencer?!) Aaron Short (AEROUSA) that you can quite easily upgrade an Element Stage Pro to an Anthem Stage Pro by adding the internal mic and swapping out the barn door preamp. Hmmmm...
Yes, and I even recall in his RainSong vintage (spruce veneer no burst) that he mentioned how easy it was to switch out the element for the anthem. And he also said that he doesn’t typically try switching something like this if it wasn’t straightforward. His YouTube channel is great- his comments about the RainSong plus playing one soon after is what turned me into a huge CF fan.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 04-02-2021, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Yes, and I even recall in his RainSong vintage (spruce veneer no burst) that he mentioned how easy it was to switch out the element for the anthem. And he also said that he doesn’t typically try switching something like this if it wasn’t straightforward. His YouTube channel is great- his comments about the RainSong plus playing one soon after is what turned me into a huge CF fan.
Yes, Aaron and his reviews are great. Although, he is costing me a lot of money! I'm not surprised that the swap/upgrade to the Anthem is not all that hard. The UST is already there and that would be the hardest part. After that it's just a matter of sticking the mic in place, run that wire and then swapping out the preamp.

Very modular, I would imagine. I'm not sure I'll go for it though. I've still got my Cole Clark Angel 2 which is fantastic plugged in and the Rainsong will be used mostly unplugged anyway. Besides, it sounds fantastic with just the Element Stage Pro system.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Yes, Aaron and his reviews are great. Although, he is costing me a lot of money! I'm not surprised that the swap/upgrade to the Anthem is not all that hard. The UST is already there and that would be the hardest part. After that it's just a matter of sticking the mic in place, run that wire and then swapping out the preamp.

Very modular, I would imagine. I'm not sure I'll go for it though. I've still got my Cole Clark Angel 2 which is fantastic plugged in and the Rainsong will be used mostly unplugged anyway. Besides, it sounds fantastic with just the Element Stage Pro system.
You could try the RainSong's Element's output through an LR Baggs Acoustic Session DI if you already have one or know someone who does? I like my Emerald's LR Baggs Element VTC output though one, and wouldn't use the guitar amplified without it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-02-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:46 PM

I've tried the Jumbo and Parlor and liked the OM Shorty the best of all of them. It doesn't have the ergonomics of my Journey but comfortable body just the same and without the sacrifice of projection. The 15.3" lower bout and 4" depth is so comfy, and it does have a slightly rounded back. The bass response is a little thin but it blends so nicely with the mids and trebles that it is negligible. Amazing tone from all the RainSong OMs but I think the full carbon ones are just a tad nicer sounding- especially the 12 fretters.

Very nice choice!
Old 04-03-2021, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
You could try the RainSong's Element's output through an LR Baggs Acoustic Session DI if you already have one or know someone who does? I like my Emerald's LR Baggs Element VTC output though one, and wouldn't use the guitar amplified without it.
No need. The Element Stage Pro system sounds fantastic as it is. The only reason to upgrade to the Anthem would be to get the mic for tap tones and we only tap on one song, '50 Ways To Leave Your Lover' for the intro and outro drum part. The LR Baggs Element Stage Pro needs no help from anything as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I've tried the Jumbo and Parlor and liked the OM Shorty the best of all of them. It doesn't have the ergonomics of my Journey but comfortable body just the same and without the sacrifice of projection. The 15.3" lower bout and 4" depth is so comfy, and it does have a slightly rounded back. The bass response is a little thin but it blends so nicely with the mids and trebles that it is negligible. Amazing tone from all the RainSong OMs but I think the full carbon ones are just a tad nicer sounding- especially the 12 fretters.

Very nice choice!
Completely agree with these two standout's in bold above. The OM body with 4" depth plus the short scale neck that joins at the 12th fret is very comfortable. And the description of the bass being 'thin' but blends well is very accurate especially when you dig into it with a pick.

I've been very happy with all the opinions on this thread. It will be a great resource for people doing future searches for information on all things Rainsong. Thanks to all whom have added their thoughts and opinions.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Yes, agree with steelvibe and Methos1979 that the the dimensions and shape of the CH-OM are very comfortable and make for a great playing experience .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber