The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Wildwood - a short original

I used a mic over the outside of my left shoulder pointing at the 12th fret and another about 12 inches from the soundhole. This one is recorded with my Larrivee also. Let me know what you think of it - melody, recording quality, etc.

Wildwood

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-03-2007, 06:56 AM

I liked it Barry, very rhythmical and clean, but I gotta ask you what strings are you using?????? cause you sure have a lot of string squeaking going on and for some that would take away from your performance. I personally like a little string squeak, but not too much..............
Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Interesting combination of the two rhythm patterns. At first I though it was a time change, but then I tapped along and realied you were pretty dead on; just a different pattern.

I don't normally comment on instrumentals. I'm a song guy. I like words and/or a story to complete the musical communication process.

I think your tune would make a great foundation for a song. It might be interesting to come up with some entwined story that calls for the change in rhythm pattern to characterize the differnt parts (stories?). That would be heading down the road to a great song.

Instrumental guitar music needs a strong melodic theme to carry a song. I'd say much of what people post on the net as instrumentals creates a good groove, but doesn't move a song along melodically to hold attention beyond a couple listenings. Many of those instrumentals would make great backdrops for vocal songs, though. I guess that's my comment for your tune. It sounds like a great foundation for song.

But I'm a song guy.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
I liked it Barry, very rhythmical and clean, but I gotta ask you what strings are you using?????? cause you sure have a lot of string squeaking going on and for some that would take away from your performance. I personally like a little string squeak, but not too much..............
Louie, you should of heard the versions of the recording I didn't put up! I like the tone of the strings, but yes, they squeak alot. I should look into coated strings. Thanks for listening!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Interesting combination of the two rhythm patterns. At first I though it was a time change, but then I tapped along and realied you were pretty dead on; just a different pattern.

I don't normally comment on instrumentals. I'm a song guy. I like words and/or a story to complete the musical communication process.

I think your tune would make a great foundation for a song. It might be interesting to come up with some entwined story that calls for the change in rhythm pattern to characterize the differnt parts (stories?). That would be heading down the road to a great song.

Instrumental guitar music needs a strong melodic theme to carry a song. I'd say much of what people post on the net as instrumentals creates a good groove, but doesn't move a song along melodically to hold attention beyond a couple listenings. Many of those instrumentals would make great backdrops for vocal songs, though. I guess that's my comment for your tune. It sounds like a great foundation for song.

But I'm a song guy.
Thanks Marshall!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell