The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-25-2020, 06:04 AM

Default What is happening to me!?!

Last week I was diagnosed with vertigo. Now I wake up with gout in my big toe!?! What the heck?
Old 06-25-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Last week I was diagnosed with vertigo. Now I wake up with gout in my big toe!?! What the heck?
No experience with gout , but I had an episode of vertigo last year. The spinning sensation was intense and was set off by moving my head in certain directions when laying down.

I looked up treatments and found the Epley Manuever online. I tried this out twice a day. After 5 days the vertigo was less intense, after 10 days it was gone completely.

No medications of any kind, you might want to try Epley, YMMV.

good luck
Old 06-25-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

It's not possible to understand the pain of gout until you actually have it. Your doctor will probably suggest colchicine (quick relief) and allopurinol (long term). I've been on various dosages of allopurinol for 25 years and haven't had a gout attack in at least 20 years. And I believe allopurinol has very few side effects if any.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 06-25-2020, 09:09 AM

What is happening to you? Most likely you are suffering from some sort of inner ear disturbance, and a rise in blood uric acid levels. The bad news is that you'll experience a loss of balance and severe pain when attempting to stand, walk or move around much. The good news is that you can minimize these symptoms by lying down and remaining calm. More good news is that neither of these diseases is fatal. Hope you're feeling better soon.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-25-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear of your afflictions. My granny always said, "Getting old isn't for sissies."

Symptoms of vertigo can come from a really wide array of underlying causes. I've had it a few times, luckily temporary. Hopefully you can get the cause(s) of yours diagnosed and make adjustments that will let it subside.

What also caught my eye in the first post was GOUT, something I'd heard of before but never knew anyone with it until my brother in law was diagnosed last year. He's lucky to have a good doctor who had seen it a lot before and got right to a solution, having him cut out beer - of all things.

While any alcohol can aggravate gout, it seems the chemical balance of beer in particular really does it. BIL stopped with his daily 2 beers and now enjoys a glass of wine instead. Symptoms gone. Since then he found he can sneak a beer or two on the weekend with no ill effect, moderation being the key.

Kind of a cruel irony for him - a talented home brewer. But he's happy to know the cause and how to keep it under control. I hope you're able to find quick relief for both of your conditions.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:36 AM

The Epley maneuver has worked well for some friends that had vertigo.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:54 AM

I have about 40 employees, and at least 5 have gout. I've not experienced it, but I've read about it - and seeing my people hobbling around, I think I've got a decent idea of how debilitating it is.

They all say this (very old) depiction does a good job describing it:

I'm dating a chick currently doing her residency, she plans to go into Rheumatology; like her dad. He says it's a very rewarding field because, as a doctor, he's able to really really improve people's condition.

So the good news is it is very treatable!

However, choose your doctor wisely. One of my employees had terrible gout arthritis in his hands and knuckles. After seeing it daily for quite some time (and because I've been dating a doctor planning to go into the field), I asked him about it. He told me he was just dealing with it because the doctor he saw said "that's no big deal, come back when it gets bad" !!!!!! Finally he found a better doctor that's gotten it under control. His quality of life has improved dramatically.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:06 PM

+1 on the Allopurinol for gout. It has been a godsend for me! My doctor had me keep a food diary for months and never found the trigger (although I believe it can be stress related). Good luck; vertigo and gout may not be fatal but they can be debilitating.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

...I suffered through occasional gout attacks for 5 or 6 years....they started in my toes...then my ankles....and the attacks became more frequent and lasted longer.......one morning I woke up with it in my knee....holy moly that was a new level of pain and any kind of walking was out of the question....I had been using the usual meds with limited success.....

.....I read up on gout and found that alcohol and meat were the. two main dietary contributors to gout....yikes...two of my faves....but I gave them up and the gout attacks went away.....it’s been three years with zero gout attacks....I’m still a vegetarian but I do allow myself a drink now and then....

...I also endured vertigo for a couple of decades...it would come and go and my doctor told me it was likely due to inner ear damage from head trauma that I suffered in a car wreck.....I never really bought that one....it declined over time but would still show up out of the blue a few times a year.....as it happens I have not had any vertigo since my dietary changes either.....
Old 06-25-2020, 07:31 PM

I have had a broken big toe and I've also had gout in a big toe.

Gout is more painful.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-26-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Allopurinal will help raise your uric acid levels to stop the gout. I still get occasional gout pain in my right big toe.

I had some vertigo episodes last year. Very scary stuff. I have a number of health conditions and docs haven't been able to pinpoint the cause of a number of my symptoms. The vertigo didn't last long fortunately, but I guess it could come back at any time.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
OP Here. So I’ve learned a lot about gout in 24 hours.

I did not go to the Doctor, instead relying on AGF and the internet to treat this.

Day #2 is much better, I think because Day#1 consisted of Ibuprofen, tons of water and no high fructose corn syrup beverages. By last evening I was able to take the dogs for a walk.

So, here’s my true confession: I rarely drink soft drinks and occasionally binge on confections, especially sugary stuff. Tuesday night, out of sheer boredom and mindless munching, I drank a 12 oz. Coke and ate a half a bag of Twizzlers. HFCS overload. Cause of gout? Maybe, but I’ll not be doing that anytime soon.

As far as vertigo, the medication they gave me is essentially high strength Dramamine. Took one pill and it knocked me on my tail for two days. The vertigo went away, though the pill was not intended to be a cure.

Honestly, I think this is the Almighty’s way of telling me to clean up my act. I might be 20 lbs. overweight but, more to the point, my diet sucks. Not enough water, too much booze, no veggies, not enough sleep, little hard core exercise. I carry my stress with me in a backpack. Maybe this is what I needed to make the change I want to make....
Old 06-26-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Allopurinal will help raise your uric acid levels to stop the gout.

I had some vertigo episodes last year. Very scary stuff. I have a number of health conditions and docs haven't been able to pinpoint the cause of a number of my symptoms. The vertigo didn't last long fortunately, but I guess it could come back at any time.
Quick note - allopurinol lowers the uric acid level.

For me, gout is mainly genetic. My grandfather had it. When I had my first attack - it easily could have been triggered by excess drinking (hey I was so much younger then) - but my uric acid levels were not over a "normal" threshold. I began having attacks every few months so the Dr. prescribed allopurinol and I haven't had an attack since. It's very inexpensive, and reasonably benign.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 06-27-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
You're getting older, just wait, there's lots more fun ahead for you.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:36 PM

I hope your health issues turn around for you. I know it can be heart breaking facing health issues....Trust me I been there.

Think positive.

Last edited by Lkristians; 07-02-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Inappropriate attempt at humor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic