The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2020, 02:29 PM

Default Suggestions for starter amp for my Acoustic Electric guitar?

Looking for a new one around 100-150 USD price point. What're your top 3? Thanks!
Old 06-23-2020, 10:22 PM

I have an old 30 watt Crate Taos that sounds pretty good and you could probably find a used one in that range. I’ve seen Fishman minis as low as 200 used locally. I saw an older Genzler for 175 that I still kind of wish I had picked up. Honestly, I’m not sure about anything else cheaper, or the drop in quality one may have to suffer to get down to 100, especially if you want new.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Looking for a new one around 100-150 USD price point. What're your top 3? Thanks!
It's difficult to find anything new at your price point. If you want to consider saving up a bit I'd recommend the Roland Street Cube. It has a $300 new tag price, but can be found for half that as a pre-owned.

The Street Cube is a great home or small gig busking amp, as it's loud, sounds good, and has very nice true stereo reverb, chorus, and delay built in. When you're looking for a first amp it's good to remember the old "buy cheap / buy twice" adage. Don't be swayed by the power rating, the actual volume of the amp has more to do with the speaker design and not "rated wattage".

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ered-combo-amp

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-24-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It's difficult to find anything new at your price point. If you want to consider saving up a bit I'd recommend the Roland Street Cube. It has a $300 new tag price, but can be found for half that as a pre-owned.

The Street Cube is a great home or small gig busking amp, as it's loud, sounds good, and has very nice true stereo reverb, chorus, and delay built in. When you're looking for a first amp it's good to remember the old "buy cheap / buy twice" adage. Don't be swayed by the power rating, the actual volume of the amp has more to do with the speaker design and not "rated wattage".
Although I agree about the saving and spending a little more part, he didn’t say he has to play without power.

This is the better acoustic modeled amp and comes with a $35 gift card:
Fishman Loudbox Mini Bluetooth 60 Watt Amp

Just buy it, probably will be the only one you’ll ever need.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
tbh you'd be hard pressed to find any thing in that price range that would work well for an acoustic gutiar.

this about as close as I think you'll find new
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...t-acoustic-amp

I'd set the bar higher, and buy a Fishman Mini as suggested, or the Artist..

I bought an Artist about 4 years now, it's a GREAT amp.. Worth every nickel.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Although I agree about the saving and spending a little more part, he didn’t say he has to play without power.

This is the better acoustic modeled amp and comes with a $35 gift card:
Fishman Loudbox Mini Bluetooth 60 Watt Amp

Just buy it, probably will be the only one you’ll ever need.
Neither did I.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:23 AM

I used to have the smaller version of this one:

https://www.musicgoround.com/product...tic-Guitar-Amp
Old 06-24-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Neither did I.
You brought up the point of it being a good busking amp - entirely different categories sorry. Point has been stated now in case OP wants to clarify..
Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

IMHO anything less than a Loudbox mini is a poor use of money.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-24-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
You brought up the point of it being a good busking amp - entirely different categories sorry. Point has been stated now in case OP wants to clarify..
I suggested the Cube Street because it's versatile and the actual use isn't the issue.

Playing "without power" was not mentioned in my post and again, irrelevant to the Cube Street's use. I've also observed buskers who plug in, so where the "power" comes from is a moot point. I've owned the Cube Street EX for about a year and it has yet to be used with batteries.

I have owned the Cube Street in the past and now own the Cube Street EX, so my suggestion comes from personal experience with the amp. It's a great amp in general.

The Fishman loudbox is also a great amp, but I prefer the lush true stereo verbs, chorus, and delays of the Street Cube or the Street Cube EX. It's too bad that Fishman didn't do the same with their loudbox.

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-24-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:10 PM

Thanks for input, you guys.

I am a newbie player and have only just bought a Fender CD 60SCE Natural as my first guitar.

After many hours of Google searches, I've decided to drop the dough on a Fender Acoustasonic 15 as my first amp to practice with.

Thanks much again!
Old 06-24-2020, 07:40 PM

Used Ultrasound AG30. Excellent amplifier. $100 - $150.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:

I am a newbie player and have only just bought a Fender CD 60SCE Natural as my first guitar.

After many hours of Google searches, I've decided to drop the dough on a Fender Acoustasonic 15 as my first amp to practice with.

Thanks much again!

Hope you enjoy it! Congrats on the new hobby, that’s awesome to hear. Good luck in your journey.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:30 AM

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I used to have the smaller version of this one:

https://www.musicgoround.com/product...tic-Guitar-Amp
I have the 20 or 25 watt version and it is very nice. You can also plug in a microphone with these.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks much again!
My only experience with the Acoustisonic is one of the larger versions that my playing partner owns. His developed a prominent buzz whenever he played a G note. He took it to an authorized repair facility and they disassembled it and repaired a loose internal baffle in the cabinet. I believe his is a 100.

This could have been a fluke, I don't know if that's a problem that sometimes happens with the cabinet design.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification