The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!
Default Any chicken ranchers around?

Keeping a few laying hens has become a hot trend these days. From what I've seen, the cluckers are treated almost like pets? I suspect because once an egg eater has eaten a backyard egg, that's all they want?

I believe that the commercial egg industry produces a taste of misery in eggs, that egg eaters realize, and they desperately want to avoid that taste, from their fist backyard egg onward? What to you think about this trend?

Don
Old 06-22-2020, 08:48 PM

Original poster's threadline (AKA--thread title) and posted query remind me of the classic question of all time--What's that white stuff in chicken poop?
Old 06-22-2020, 09:29 PM

The man pulls up to the diner counter and asks "What's the Special". The waitress replies "Tongue sandwich. ---Ugh, I won't eat anything out of an animal's mouth----Give me a set of eggs!"

Fog
Old 06-23-2020, 09:22 AM

We eat a lot of eggs, fried, poached, boiled, even microwaved.
About 50/50 from store and a friends backyard chickens.
I can't tell the difference.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My son is one.

He and my daughter-in-law say they can taste the difference. He'd have to be willing to share a few eggs in order for me to know.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:12 AM

To me a difference exists depending on the diets of those backyard birds. A good friend keeps his in a coup, he feeds quality grain. Those eggs are great. Another fellow let his roam the yard foraging for whatever. He supplemented their food with what I call junk food i.e. muffins and donuts. Those eggs tasted terrible. Junk in, junk out...
Old 06-23-2020, 11:38 AM

Love the boots on that t-shirt chicken! The forum software and rules won't let me explain exactly why..... but I've shoveled plenty of it.

You haven't known olfactory shock until you've opened the door to the chicken coop on a hot & muggy summer midwest afternoon. Let's just say that "smelling salts" or dirty diapers have no punch by comparison. We had chickens when I was a kid, and it was mostly my responsibility to take care of them. I was well unto my 30's before I would eat chicken or eggs again. But I understand how people like the freshness of something they retrieved from the henhouse and washed up this morning, versus what you get in the store.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Love the boots on that t-shirt chicken! The forum software and rules won't let me explain exactly why..... but I've shoveled plenty of it.
Yeah, I've mucked out a chicken shack or two in my day. Wheeew.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-23-2020, 02:37 PM

It's not a ranch, but we've had chickens for several years. Currently only have 3 now but we've had up to 7 with a rooster.

We live along the Columbia river so there are lots of egg and chicken eating predators - bald and golden eagles, hawks, coyotes, skunks, raccoons, but the worst by far are neighborhood dogs. Thats why we currently only have 3. We have dogs too, but if it came down to a choice I'll take chickens. Does anything useful ever come out of your cats or dogs? I give table scraps to my birds, they eats weeds and bugs and they each give me an egg every day.

Animal shelters are full of unwanted dogs and cats but you'll never see a laying hen at the pound.

If you can, you really want a mean old rooster or at least a tough hen with an attitude to protect your flock.

You can't beat the fresh free-range eggs.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:42 PM

My neighbor has a chicken coop and I picked up some eggs for him last summer once. Unfortunately, a mink got in under the coop and killed all 4 or 5 hens. The new coop has a floor now.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:07 PM

I had a herd of chickens a few years ago along with my brothers as partners. It was a race to get to the eggs for the freshest. I bummed a L'Eggs plastic container for panty hose from my then girl friend and beat them to the eggs on Sunday morning and then left the "big egg" for bait---it didn't take long to hear the repercussions from that move!

My eggs now come from Wallyworld via my wife!

Fog
Old 06-23-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I just built a 1st class chicken shack to house four Buff Orpingtons...my favorite laying hens....around these parts there are many creatures that find chicken delicious so it is built so strong a Tiger couldn’t get into it...they should be laying by summers end....

We used to free range our chickens during the day but they are hell on gardens so that’s a no go these days....they will have a decent sized run...
Old 06-23-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Keeping a few laying hens has become a hot trend these days. From what I've seen, the cluckers are treated almost like pets? I suspect because once an egg eater has eaten a backyard egg, that's all they want?

I believe that the commercial egg industry produces a taste of misery in eggs, that egg eaters realize, and they desperately want to avoid that taste, from their fist backyard egg onward? What to you think about this trend?

Don
About this "taste of misery in eggs" ...

Is this something in the egg itself, or in one's mind that results from understanding what chickens experience in the commercial egg industry?

IOW, in a double-blind test could the egg eater identify which egg had this taste of misery?
If in the egg itself, is it a bitter taste? How would you describe the taste itself? What does it taste similar to?

Serious questions.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:41 AM

Being a Texan, I thought this was about the infamous "Chicken Ranch" in LaGrange, TX......my bad!
Old 06-24-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
About this "taste of misery in eggs" ...

Is this something in the egg itself, or in one's mind that results from understanding what chickens experience in the commercial egg industry?

IOW, in a double-blind test could the egg eater identify which egg had this taste of misery?
If in the egg itself, is it a bitter taste? How would you describe the taste itself? What does it taste similar to?

Serious questions.
Perhaps using the taste of misery for a comparison was being overly dramatic? However, I'm sure the ghost of Anthony Bordain, or Betty Crocker, could tell the difference!

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic