The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-21-2020, 02:36 PM

Default Zoom H5 or H6 for acoustic guitar recording?

I am currently deciding between the Zoom H5 and H6, I hope you guys could give me some advice on that.

I am planning to use the Zoom to record acoustic guitar music, which means that most of the time I would be using either the in-built mic or only two XLR inputs for mics. Hence no need for the extra 2 XLR inputs in the H6

The real question is...

I am wondering if the H6 is a better quality audio interface than the H5, if I use the zoom as an audio interface?

I have heard rumors that using the H5 as an audio interface produces recordings that are not as good as the standalone mode would. But the H6 is good in both the audio interface mode and standalone.

And if I record the music directly into the Zoom with 2 external mics (standalone mode), is the H6 going to produce a better quality recording than the H5? Thank you in advance.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcg View Post
I am currently deciding between the Zoom H5 and H6, I hope you guys could give me some advice on that.

I am planning to use the Zoom to record acoustic guitar music, which means that most of the time I would be using either the in-built mic or only two XLR inputs for mics. Hence no need for the extra 2 XLR inputs in the H6

The real question is...

I am wondering if the H6 is a better quality audio interface than the H5, if I use the zoom as an audio interface?

I have heard rumors that using the H5 as an audio interface produces recordings that are not as good as the standalone mode would. But the H6 is good in both the audio interface mode and standalone.

And if I record the music directly into the Zoom with 2 external mics (standalone mode), is the H6 going to produce a better quality recording than the H5? Thank you in advance.
Hey, I might be able to help, as I used to own and use a H5, and switched to a H6 very recently.

The first thing is that the H5 interface issues were sorted at the end of 2019, as Zoom realised that they had the wrong drivers saved in the wrong location for download on their site. If you buy a new H5 and make sure the latest firmware is on it, it will work fine in interface mode and none of the weird phasing issues should be there anymore. I certainly found that it cured mine.

Now, they are said to run identical preamps, but I have to say that if I listen in my KRK KNS-6400 headphones (not super high-end but much better than earbuds) then there is definitely a little bit more ambient hiss on the H5 when when there's no music happening.

That aside, sound quality seems pretty much identica during playback of WAV files in Reaper –– BUT the H6 appears to get a better signal and bigger looking waveforms with lower gain settings on the 'built in' x/y mics. It's like a 4 on the dial on the H6 is the same as a 5 on the H5. That could be as my H5 is older and has been used outdoors sometimes –– may have dust in the mics? I can't account for it any other way really, unless the H6 X/Y mic unit is different inside.

The H6 feels more sturdy in your hands. Mine also came with a mid/side mic attachment too, but I haven't even used that yet, as I am happy with the x/y pair.

The display on the H6 is better, but I used to be able to angle my H5 down at the fretboard/body join and see my sound levels whilst I was on my stool because the display was on top of the unit. I used to check that the loudest parts I intended to play weren't going to clip in this way. I can't do that with the H6 as the display is on the tail end of it and angled down, so I've had to record a test then play it back to set the gain... a little frustrating when working on my own.

The inputs on the H6 are on the sides of the unit. This seems to work out better for me as occasionally if I plugged a guitar lead from my pickup into the back of the H5, when I moved into my seat it would sometimes slightly move the H5 on its mini-tripod. I got around this by masking or duct taping the lead to the surface behind the unit... but with the H6 I haven't had to so far.

That's about all I can think of. Extra inputs aside, the only other reason I'd go for the H6 if I were you is the seemingly more substantial build quality of it.

Either one will be great fun to play with and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-21-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

I have a H5 and I discovered that the "background hiss" Snorse and other people have talked about is coming from the room, not the H5, at least in my case. I discovered that fairly recently.

I don't use the H5 as a DAW. I record in it and then when I have done a few good ones I will upload them all to my pc, pick out the best version and then edit and eq in other software.

I've used the built-in mics for some recordings but I prefer to use two external mics. As Snorse pointed out the gain for the built in mics on the H5 need to be pushed up to get a good recording level.

When I record with mic booms I have a bar that the H5 screws onto which is attached to the pole of one of my booms which keeps it firmly in place. It's a fairly light piece of hardware and it doesn't take much to send it flying so be careful with it. If you treat it like you treat your best guitar, you'll be fine.

The tune in my signature (Pretty Maid Milking a Cow) was recorded with 2 AT-2035 mics into my H5 and then edited and eq'd in Rx 7 Standard. (I now eq and mix in Adobe Audition, but Rx is great for certain editing and noise removal)

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have a H5 and I discovered that the "background hiss" Snorse and other people have talked about is coming from the room, not the H5, at least in my case. I discovered that fairly recently.

I don't use the H5 as a DAW. I record in it and then when I have done a few good ones I will upload them all to my pc, pick out the best version and then edit and eq in other software.

I've used the built-in mics for some recordings but I prefer to use two external mics. As Snorse pointed out the gain for the built in mics on the H5 need to be pushed up to get a good recording level.

When I record with mic booms I have a bar that the H5 screws onto which is attached to the pole of one of my booms which keeps it firmly in place. It's a fairly light piece of hardware and it doesn't take much to send it flying so be careful with it. If you treat it like you treat your best guitar, you'll be fine.

The tune in my signature (Pretty Maid Milking a Cow) was recorded with 2 AT-2035 mics into my H5 and then edited and eq'd in Rx 7 Standard. (I now eq and mix in Adobe Audition, but Rx is great for certain editing and noise removal)
Hello. I'm not expert but i did see a video on youtube about the hiss noise. And this guy said it was because when you were recording in mono both inputs where active. He solved it by finding in settings where you could lower the volume on the input that was not being used.

I'm not sure if this is what you are describing but I thought maybe it may help.

https://youtu.be/Difo4xr7j3w
Old 06-21-2020, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
Hello. I'm not expert but i did see a video on youtube about the hiss noise. And this guy said it was because when you were recording in mono both inputs where active. He solved it by finding in settings where you could lower the volume on the input that was not being used.

I'm not sure if this is what you are describing but I thought maybe it may help.

https://youtu.be/Difo4xr7j3w
I record in stereo, but thanks.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

I have been using an H5 for a few years, mostly with a pair of external condenser mics, I am happy with the sound quality for what I do, but to cut a long story short - I would buy the H6 Black, as it is now called, if I made the choice today. Mic module, 4 inputs, better design, colour interface, redesigned casing.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-22-2020, 03:07 AM

I have an H5 and use it extensively with both internal and external mics - it's a great product. I did however recently change out the mic module for the version that comes with the H6 as these are variable in position between 90 and 120 deg. I have also found the sound to be a little better with the H6 mic module.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-22-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
Hey, I might be able to help, as I used to own and use a H5, and switched to a H6 very recently.

The first thing is that the H5 interface issues were sorted at the end of 2019, as Zoom realised that they had the wrong drivers saved in the wrong location for download on their site. If you buy a new H5 and make sure the latest firmware is on it, it will work fine in interface mode and none of the weird phasing issues should be there anymore. I certainly found that it cured mine.

Now, they are said to run identical preamps, but I have to say that if I listen in my KRK KNS-6400 headphones (not super high-end but much better than earbuds) then there is definitely a little bit more ambient hiss on the H5 when when there's no music happening.

That aside, sound quality seems pretty much identica during playback of WAV files in Reaper –– BUT the H6 appears to get a better signal and bigger looking waveforms with lower gain settings on the 'built in' x/y mics. It's like a 4 on the dial on the H6 is the same as a 5 on the H5. That could be as my H5 is older and has been used outdoors sometimes –– may have dust in the mics? I can't account for it any other way really, unless the H6 X/Y mic unit is different inside.

The H6 feels more sturdy in your hands. Mine also came with a mid/side mic attachment too, but I haven't even used that yet, as I am happy with the x/y pair.

The display on the H6 is better, but I used to be able to angle my H5 down at the fretboard/body join and see my sound levels whilst I was on my stool because the display was on top of the unit. I used to check that the loudest parts I intended to play weren't going to clip in this way. I can't do that with the H6 as the display is on the tail end of it and angled down, so I've had to record a test then play it back to set the gain... a little frustrating when working on my own.

The inputs on the H6 are on the sides of the unit. This seems to work out better for me as occasionally if I plugged a guitar lead from my pickup into the back of the H5, when I moved into my seat it would sometimes slightly move the H5 on its mini-tripod. I got around this by masking or duct taping the lead to the surface behind the unit... but with the H6 I haven't had to so far.

That's about all I can think of. Extra inputs aside, the only other reason I'd go for the H6 if I were you is the seemingly more substantial build quality of it.

Either one will be great fun to play with and I'm sure you'll be happy.
Thank you for your detailed review! I am thinking probably getting the Zoom H5 will save me some money for external mics as well. Also, I agree with the no so guitarist friendly display angle of the Zoom H6 screen.

Do you have experience with the entry level interface e.g. Focusrite 2i2 or Steinberg UR22?Do the H5/H6 match up with those interface?

Cheers
Old 06-22-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

Thank you! Love your playing as well!
Old 06-22-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I have been using an H5 for a few years, mostly with a pair of external condenser mics, I am happy with the sound quality for what I do, but to cut a long story short - I would buy the H6 Black, as it is now called, if I made the choice today. Mic module, 4 inputs, better design, colour interface, redesigned casing.
Really?! I am thinking of getting the old H6 because it is cheaper (on sale) and comes with an extra mic module (I know it will be not used often) as well as some accessories.

One thing though, why can't they just change the **** USB port to USB-type C and USB 3.0. It's still using tech in Nokia's golden era.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I have an H5 and use it extensively with both internal and external mics - it's a great product. I did however recently change out the mic module for the version that comes with the H6 as these are variable in position between 90 and 120 deg. I have also found the sound to be a little better with the H6 mic module.
Which angle do you find better for guitar recording?

I like your guitar collection too, I was very close to getting a Furch. **** good guitar for the price. But I ended up with a secondhand Lakewood m32cp, due my budget. But I am still after the Red series, 32 om-32 sm and possibly a little jane. Too many great products from Furch.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Really?! I am thinking of getting the old H6 because it is cheaper (on sale) and comes with an extra mic module (I know it will be not used often) as well as some accessories....
Even better value then. My comment applied to the H6 in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Quote:
I too have got the XYH-6 capsule as well and prefer the tone for guitar recording (another plus for the H6 that I forgot to mention). In particular I like the more spacious sound with 120 deg. Whist I use external mics (I have them after all, and like the flexibility of mic positioning) this module gives me a sound I quite like.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-22-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
Even better value then. My comment applied to the H6 in general.

I too have got the XYH-6 capsule as well and prefer the tone for guitar recording (another plus for the H6 that I forgot to mention). In particular I like the more spacious sound with 120 deg. Whist I use external mics (I have them after all, and like the flexibility of mic positioning) this module gives me a sound I quite like.

I have heard the H6 has a better response to lows as well.

In my country the price difference for the H5 and H6 is about a 100 USD. Ummmmm...
Old 06-22-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I like your guitar collection too, I was very close to getting a Furch. **** good guitar for the price. But I ended up with a secondhand Lakewood m32cp, due my budget. But I am still after the Red series, 32 om-32 sm and possibly a little jane. Too many great products from Furch.

I tend to use the 120 deg, although I generally pan each channel separately hard left and right in post so it doesn’t really matter.

Furch do make great guitars, but Lakewood’s that I have heard are pretty decent too..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-23-2020, 12:41 AM

I've posted this before but this is the H5 standard x/y mics in a half decent room.
Just a tad of reverb and HPF added later.
The noise level is what it is.

Daughters voice is SM58 in noisy house.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD