The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-09-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I feel like everyone is looking at me like a three headed snake, which is ok since that’s decidedly what my life is about but........

wouldn’t this all be distilled with a very basic Logic template which could then serve as a launching platform (or not) for more in depth exploration of the software?
This is exactly the way I've approached Logic. It's been almost a year since I transitioned from GarageBand to Logic. Having about 6 months of experience with GarageBand, with its similar Apple DNA, was very helpful. I set up a work template in Logic that duplicated as closely as possible what I was used to using in GarageBand so that I could start working with Logic immediately. Since then, I've explored Logic's depths by asking myself what I'd like to improve in my recording process on a step by step basis. Then I've used Apple's research tools, checked out Youtube tutorials or searched forums like this one to learn what deeper capabilities Logic has to facilitate my work. Making these improvements to my workflow and recording toolbox one small step at a time has made Logic a pleasure to work with. I'm sure I still haven't explored 95% of what Logic is capable of, but my goal isn't to learn everything, just learn what can help me accomplish what I want to do.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-09-2020, 10:12 AM

I wouldn't call the way I do things a model for others. One odd things is that I use three different DAWs, and I am not anything like an expert in any of them.

I used a 4 track cassette Portastudio to start recording (well, that's not true, I first recorded stuff on a little battery powered cassette and it's plastic hand held mic in 1968).

I'll skip a long story of all the intermediate steps and those other DAWs which I still use, but I started with Logic Pro just before Logic Pro X was introduced in 2013. I had become frustrated a few things about Avid Pro Tools' business model and Logic looked like a worthwhile alternative. One huge plus for me with Logic Pro was the huge value proposition with the included plugins. For someone doing only direct recording of acoustic instruments these valuable "included at no extra cost" features aren't as important, but even just the EQ/compression/reverb/time-based effects (chorus, Leslie simulation, echo and delay etc) are a great bonus. It's not mentioned, but even though I've collected a fair number of third part plugins to use over the years now, it's a whole lot simplier to have them all part of one $200 program without any extra steps to authorize or install them via the various "copy protection" schemes used by third parties.

I learned Logic to the degree I've learned it in two ways.

Way One is just to find the simplest way to record stuff, setup a template for same using my own input channels, and starting to record. I don't think it's harder than a cassette portastudio to use it that way. My most used template has seven tracks: a Logic Drummer track for when I want drums instead of just a click, two tracks for acoustic guitar mics, my vocal mic, a track for electric guitar, and electric bass, and straight DI track that I'll use for various things.

When I sit down to record my acoustic guitar and vocal mics are already setup with appropriate levels, and only need minor adjustments. I decide what tempo I want if I'm recording to click or drums. I arm which tracks I want to record and monitor in headphones and hit record. I didn't need to learn Logic to do this, I was doing recordings in the first week of owning it, and I learn very little more about Logic as I continue to do that over the years.

After recording I can apply EQ, compression, reverb, etc to the tracks to taste. Does it call for a bass track or a little electric? Overdub it by arming that track. In my weird workflow I export all the tracks to a folder after recording and mix in Adobe Audition, but that's just me, I'm sure Logic could do that part of things fine. I just am used to Audition.

Way Two is to decide to use some random or semi-random feature and figure out you can do that in Logic. So for example, I might think how can put a string trio together? I look at the virtual instruments, learn how the various attack features (marcato, legato, etc) work, connect my MIDI guitar interface or little plastic keyboard. Start experimenting with parts. Eventually I have learned how to create a string trio. This may take a number of hours of exploring to create a 1 minute trio piece, but I've learned a way to do that. When desired by curiosity or composing need, I repeat that same sort of "let's explore" process for deciding to learn how to map the tempo of the project to a non-click track recording, or morph an acoustic guitar recording so it sounds like something different than an honest acoustic recording.

This second way is like one usually learns to navigate around a new city. You don't usually get a street map and try to memorize the entire layout, or commit every street address to memory: you learn how to get to the grocery store, where the bank is, what parks are enjoyable as needed and build your "knowledge map".

To learn about features beyond just playing with them or when stumped I'll use a web search or the books: Apple has three manuals for Logic X available in Apple Books or PDF format, and they've just been updated for the latest Logic X version this spring, and Nahmani's book is another source.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-09-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I feel like everyone is looking at me like a three headed snake, which is ok since that’s decidedly what my life is about but........

wouldn’t this all be distilled with a very basic Logic template which could then serve as a launching platform (or not) for more in depth exploration of the software?
yes it would most definitely
I am guessing this not using templates is one factor in the notion that A DAW is somehow more complex, or problematic, or time consuming , to get to "recording" than a stand alone solution.

I do understand that perhaps initial set up , learning the basic workflow, and then Key Command shortcuts, take some time to learn.
But the reality is once set up and especially with the use of "templates" the difference in time, from turn on, to hit record, is marginal, and would consist of the computer boot time , DAW launch and template load times. But we are talking more in the realm of seconds to perhaps a minute or two

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-09-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
yes it would most definitely
I am guessing this not using templates is one factor in the notion that A DAW is somehow more complex, or problematic, or time consuming , to get to "recording" than a stand alone solution.

I do understand that perhaps initial set up , learning the basic workflow, and then Key Command shortcuts, take some time to learn.
But the reality is once set up and especially with the use of "templates" the difference in time, from turn on, to hit record is marginal, a few seconds at most.
There have been both prosumer and pro standalone boxes that present an instantly-gettable recording layout -- looks and acts like a tape machine -- but the tradeoff is that the editing and mixing is always clunky and counterintuitive. You pick your poison. Protools and Logic both strike a reasonable compromise, I think, but yes there's a learning curve. Worth it, though.

Couch Standards
Old 06-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Possibly, depends on what the issue is, which I'm not clear on. If people are actually struggling with their audio interface hardware, then they won't even get to the point of creating a template. I don't see a template helping people who are doing simple home recording all that much, either - I mean it might save them from clicking on the new track button a few times.... And I don't think we could share a template with someone else who has a different hardware setup.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I do plan to do a video (or series, depending on how long it ends up being) on recording acoustically with Logic - no synths... But before I get to that, would anyone be up for an interactive Zoom session where I go thru it with a screen share?

Sound quality on Zoom doesn't seem to be sufficient for a real recording session with mixing, but it'd be fine for showing how to get started, record a track or two, etc. People could ask questions, and chime in with where they're hitting bottlenecks. I suspect we'd only have a few people interested, which is fine, since it would allow more interaction Q&A and so on. It would help me understand what issues people are facing and hopefulyl make the eventual video tutorial more useful.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There have been both prosumer and pro standalone boxes that present an instantly-gettable recording layout -- looks and acts like a tape machine -- but the tradeoff is that the editing and mixing is always clunky and counterintuitive. You pick your poison. Protools and Logic both strike a reasonable compromise, I think, but yes there's a learning curve. Worth it, though.
Ok but my point was assuming with a standalone, one has to at the very least turn it on ,make a selection to start a project. and then probably a few more selection taps or button presses

Understanding that given I only record myself ( unlike a pro) I already have all the levels set on my hardware units . And I can also have my mics already on stands, in position, and plugged in and ready to record.

So for me to get to recording . I literally only have to hit the power button on my power conditioner, press the computer and interface power buttons, click the PT icon in the desktop dock, Select and name the template, record arm the track/s and then hit record/play.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-09-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok but my point was assuming with a standalone, one has to at the very least turn it on ,make a selection to start a project. and then probably a few more selection taps or button presses

Understanding that given I only record myself ( unlike a pro) I already have all the levels set on my hardware units . And I can also have my mics already on stands, in position, and plugged in and ready to record.

So for me to get to recording . I literally only have to hit the power button on my power conditioner, press the computer and interface power buttons, click the PT icon in the desktop dock, Select and name the template, record arm the track/s and then hit record/play.
Yep, this describes me as well. Mics are always set up. Interface has phantom on, levels set. Click on the Logic icon, click on the template i have saved, click on Record. Play. This is what has me stumped about why this is hard. I don't see how it could be any faster or easier.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yep, this describes me as well. Mics are always set up. Interface has phantom on, levels set. Click on the Logic icon, click on the template i have saved, click on Record. Play. This is what has me stumped about why this is hard. I don't see how it could be any faster or easier.
Made me think of something I could try (even though it is really a non issue) and that is have the tracks in the template already record armed.

Quote:
I don't see a template helping people who are doing simple home recording all that much, either - I mean it might save them from clicking on the new track button a few times.... And I don't think we could share a template with someone else who has a different hardware setup.

But honestly for me for even for just a simple stereo guitar and mono vocal arrangement (and perhaps it is because I always have at least two guitar tracks L&R mono, and a vocal track, plus a stereo Aux/Bus track for the guitar, a stereo track for the Parallel Reverb , and a main stereo Aux/Bus track, as well as a Master Fader track ). So that's 6 tracks minimum plus the sends, and the routing, as well as a plugin EQ on each audio track, and and EQ on the reverb track all with the settings already done on a template. So it is still quite desirable for me anyway.

Also I don't know about Logic but in PT you can definitely share a template. PT automatically tells you of any I/O mismatch, tells exactly what track numbers don't match, and what plugins don't match And then you can often quickly reconfigure the I/O matrix from the imported to fit your hardware or vise versa.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-09-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Made me think of something I could try (even though it is really a non issue) and that is have the tracks in the template already record armed.
Right, that works in Logic. In fact, even without a template, with Logic, it opens with a dialog. For example, here I say I want 3 tracks, with ascending inputs (1+2, 3+4, 5+6) all armed and ready to record:

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 12.32.49 PM.jpg

and bam, I have three tracks, ready to go. Just click the red Record icon.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 12.36.32 PM.jpg
Old 06-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Right, that works in Logic. In fact, even without a template, with Logic, it opens with a dialog. For example, here I say I want 3 tracks, with ascending inputs (1+2, 3+4, 5+6) all armed and ready to record:

Attachment 39097

and bam, I have three tracks, ready to go. Just click the red Record icon.

Attachment 39099
Interesting I am not in the studio but will check it out and report back

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-09-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I do plan to do a video (or series, depending on how long it ends up being) on recording acoustically with Logic - no synths... But before I get to that, would anyone be up for an interactive Zoom session where I go thru it with a screen share?

Sound quality on Zoom doesn't seem to be sufficient for a real recording session with mixing, but it'd be fine for showing how to get started, record a track or two, etc. People could ask questions, and chime in with where they're hitting bottlenecks. I suspect we'd only have a few people interested, which is fine, since it would allow more interaction Q&A and so on. It would help me understand what issues people are facing and hopefulyl make the eventual video tutorial more useful.
I could be interested in this, Doug. I appreciate your commitment to the project. For some advance Q&A, I can get a track recorded, but have run into a wall with getting effects like reverb and compression onto a track. I "stepped away" from LogicProX because of this, and have gone back to using my friendly Spire Studio... so, it may take some "re-learning" to get back to figuring out how to even get to a track again.

Yes, I am an old dog. You know how that goes with new tricks, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-09-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Possibly, depends on what the issue is, which I'm not clear on. If people are actually struggling with their audio interface hardware, then they won't even get to the point of creating a template.
Yea it certainly wouldn't address any existing hardware issues to be sure.

Quote:
I don't see a template helping people who are doing simple home recording all that much, either - I mean it might save them from clicking on the new track button a few times.... And I don't think we could share a template with someone else who has a different hardware setup.
My experience in my years at Digidesign was (and granted all DAW's back then were significantly more daunting) many getting started just let the optics, terminology and options become overwhelming. Another malady, and this befell one of the worlds most notable engineers, was the frustration with trying to learn Pro Tools while still trying to work. This inevitable led to some fairly heated phone exchanges as you might imagine. The combination of learning something new while working from an old mindset doesn't make for good bedfellows. In the end we just simplified things until the lightbulbs started to go off.

A template wouldn't necessarily be about saving time, at least initially, but it could serve to be less intimidating as well as being consistent especially if the I/O is setup properly. I'd think a week working with a simple 4 or even 2 channel setup would help to demystify even if it's only saving a handful of steps. From there it'd serve as a building block for adding channels, aux returns, SFX and the like.

Just a thought
Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Learn How to Use Logic Pro - Follow Doug Young's Leads

Aloha Tico, Doug & Friends,

NOTE: Sorry about my earlier bad "Jacob" review, Doug.

I really like the way this thread is evolving. I love Doug's idea about creating a kind of clearing house for questions about creating templates & using a DAW to create guitar tracks.

I think the reason why Tico & others looking at DAW's like Logic Pro or Pro Tools are so daunted by these complete, pro-level tools is that they simply don't have the time to get past the threshold or haven't established committment yet. With limited time, they choose playing over learning recording every time. Bravo - that's natural. But there is an easier approach for getting into Logic Pro - beyond the complex look of its imposing dashboard.

Doug Young: "Yep, this describes me as well. Mics are always set up. Interface has phantom on, levels set. Click on the Logic icon, click on the template i have saved, click on Record. Play. This is what has me stumped about why this is hard. I don't see how it could be any faster or easier."

If you want to create clear acoustic recordings or get into Logic Pro, then follow Doug Young's detailed advice & step-by-step video's RE: what your signal chain should be comprised of & all the other generous tips that have been provided by Doug for many years. You may not play as clearly & well as Doug, but you can record clearly & easily like Doug. He's made it easy for us.

Don't get side tracked in trying your own way at first - especially when it comes to using a DAW like Logic Pro. Doug did the basic work for you & has generously shown us how to use Logic after recording with Zoom H-6 for the Basics. Here:

https://acousticguitar.com/home-reco...oustic-guitar/

How simple is that?

And if you get more advanced with better gear, this earlier DY clip will help take you farther into an earlier version of Logic Pro X & view mastering techniques:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5kCVXyQDys

Even with a different DAW, with a slightly different template requirement, Doug's techniques in Logic will at least get you into recording a track in the fewest number of steps in your workflow & how to "clarify" a track. And he demonstrates how to mix & finish your track with a few tips & suggestions. Great Advice!

Thank you, Doug. I'm looking forward to your next video or book on this subject.

Mahalo a nui,

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-09-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Doug did the basic work for you & has generously shown us how to use Logic for the Basics. Here:

https://acousticguitar.com/home-reco...oustic-guitar/
I think that video demonstrates how to use effects, if that's the issue people are having. I did the actual recording in Zoom, so the overall flow was different.

Quote:

And if you get more advanced with better gear, this 2012 DY clip will help take you farther into Logic Pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5kCVXyQDys
I'd forgotten about that one, yeah, another walkthru of the final steps of the project. Might answer some people's questions.

I think what I haven't done is a complete walk thru from the beginning, setting up the interface, tracking, overdubbing, editing, mixing, mastering, all in logic, and all in one video. But most of the pieces are there in those older videos, at least for solo guitar. I assume most people here want to add a few tracks, and deal with mixing them, etc, which is straightforward, but isn't demo'd in those videos.

There's also this one, on "fast comping" in Logic, which for me is reason alone to use Logic (this feature does take a bit of practice, and you don't have to do it, unless you want to edit out your mistakes... but it's so much easier than other ways to edit):

Last edited by Doug Young; 06-09-2020 at 07:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD