The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-27-2020, 05:36 PM

I fly fish, archery and flintlock hunt. Trail running, like single track type running, not rail to trails, Harley RoadKing, outdoor cycling. Kayak not whitewater To name a few
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 04-27-2020, 05:49 PM

I build and work on road racing cars. Vintage and SCCA. My own car is a Radical Prosport. I also do target shooting. I am retired and have a machine shop in my back yard. The perfect setup for me.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I'm a serial hobbyist - I do 'em one at a time and I'm pretty close to all in. My big ones have been photography (twice), guitar (twice), cycling (once, but about 20 years), skiing (I was into it enough to drop out of college for a few years and go ski bum in my early 20's). I've also been pretty into other sports like tennis, basketball, and golf at various times.

This is my second go-around with guitar - I first picked it up when I was 18 and played all the time until I was about 28 when my first child was born. Then I rarely if ever picked up a guitar until I was about 58 and I've been back at it heavily for about three years now. Similarly I was WAAAAY into phtography in high school and college (spending long nights in darkrooms) and I got back into it again for much of my 50s. In both cases, I totally burned out on photography - I was so committed to framing images in my mind that I couldn't just walk down the street or a trail and just enjoy the beauty around me without always trying to see photographs in it. I was good at it too, a much better photographer than I've ever been a musician. But I've never burned out on playing music - I just didn't have time for it when family and career were at their busiest. But as mediocre (at best) as I am at it, I love it with a passion. And maybe BECAUSE I'm not that good at it, it will always be a challenge. I'd sort of gotten to a point with photography where I was about as good as I was gonna get - I knew I could go out for a day of shooting and come back with some compelling images. And I just didn't want to consume myself with it anymore. Twice.

And then there are things that have been somewhat less consuming - I was very into trading Grateful Dead tapes for a few years (and going to shows), I was very into learning all there was to know about espresso for a couple years and for the many years since then I just make good espresso every day, but it was only a hobby for a short time..

But really, guitar, cycling, photography have been the big three in my adult years... All three involve an activity and involve gear. I was a pretty good bicycle mechanic too when I was riding a ton.

-Ray
Old 04-27-2020, 06:06 PM

Other than guitar I play golf, although the courses are closed here in IL as they are in a lot of states.

My other hobby is government. I'm an elected official. Plenty of people question my sanity but what can I say I enjoy it.

It's not a hobby but I am a "coach" for amputees. I lost my right leg in Nov 2018 from cancer and have a prosthetic leg. I "coach" more recent amputees through the process and offer a sounding board for their fears and concerns.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:28 PM

Well, cycling is the main hobby, 30+ years as an adult rider. Only two trips to the emergency room though!

Also, since we retired, a lot of reading. Pages not pixels.

My wife and I also like to cruise. It's gonna be a bit before that comes back.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
My other hobby is government. I'm an elected official. Plenty of people question my sanity but what can I say I enjoy it.

It's not a hobby but I am a "coach" for amputees. I lost my right leg in Nov 2018 from cancer and have a prosthetic leg. I "coach" more recent amputees through the process and offer a sounding board for their fears and concerns.
Outstanding on both accounts. More power to you, MrDB!
Old 04-27-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Outstanding on both accounts. More power to you, MrDB!
Thanks, Kerbie.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:25 PM

I have a number of hobbies, including but not limited to: playing and collecting vintage guitars, writing, reading, running and working out, traveling, re-purposing things, painting, and antiquing.

I also collect some interesting stuff, at least to me anyway. I love to laugh, always have, and as such, I have one of the largest collections of comedy records (vinyl) in the US, numbering over 3500 and counting, all different and 99% of them folks no one has ever heard of - lounge acts, cruise ship comics, etc. Here is part of the collection and a representative example of one of the one hit wonders:

I also collect old soda bottles, each one different and only full ones. Over 300 and counting and here is a small sample:

I also have a large collection of Mad Magazine clones, magazines that wanted to be the next Mad magazine but with few exceptions lasted only a couple of years. Here are 2 such imitators. The second (TRUMP) was edited by former Mad man Harvey Kurtzman and published by Hugh Hefner in 1957 :

Last edited by spock; 04-27-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:24 PM

Besides music?

Hobbies - reading well-written literature, writing, producing multi-media slide shows, public speaking...

Sports - caving, backpacking and hiking, canoeing, basketball...

Make money at it so it can't be just a hobby - house remodeling

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

Nice dirt sculpting!
Old 04-28-2020, 01:55 PM

I love hiking, gardening, want to get a kayak some day, fishing and literally when I have time, watch the grass grow, yep
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 04-28-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
I really like this, actually. Two questions:

1) Is the primary material MDF?
2) Are the recesses actually paneled, or is it just drywall showing through?
1) It's pine primed with a white base coat. 1x6 with 1x8s at the bottom. The trim is picture frame molding. I got most of it from Lowe's.

2) They are paneled, sort of. I have 1/8" thick MDF backer board behind the frame. I actually installed these to protect the drywall because my autistic son was kicking holes in the walls throughout the house. The interior studs are 22" apart (center to center.) If you lean against them you can feel the 1/4" thick drywall "give."

I followed the instructions from this video I found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F3iDMoGpGw
Old 04-28-2020, 07:35 PM

Other than guitar? Mandolin. Lol
I also like woodworking, construction projects, farming and home improvement projects. I might have some ADHD tho so I like to keep busy and have a somewhat fast turnover for projects. Also I love to hunt whitetail deer so I’m up in a tree most of the fall and early winter
Old 04-28-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
1) It's pine primed with a white base coat. 1x6 with 1x8s at the bottom. The trim is picture frame molding. I got most of it from Lowe's.

2) They are paneled, sort of. I have 1/8" thick MDF backer board behind the frame. I actually installed these to protect the drywall because my autistic son was kicking holes in the walls throughout the house. The interior studs are 22" apart (center to center.) If you lean against them you can feel the 1/4" thick drywall "give."
1/4" drywall on 22" studs?? I have never seen any construction remotely like that. Around here everything is 1/2" drywall and 16" on-center studs. Where do you live?

I was guessing you probably put some thin MDF paneling behind it, if for no other reason than to not have to worry about a wavy wall.

If I were to do this, I'd probably rip sheets of 5/8" MDF rather than paying for #1 pine. I'd still use pine trim and rail though. It looks like you made the top rail from scratch.

As it happens, my wife works for Lowe's, so everything you used should be available to me. If I actually decide to do it, I might PM you to get tips, if you don't mind.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
1/4" drywall on 22" studs?? I have never seen any construction remotely like that. Around here everything is 1/2" drywall and 16" on-center studs. Where do you live?

I was guessing you probably put some thin MDF paneling behind it, if for no other reason than to not have to worry about a wavy wall.

If I were to do this, I'd probably rip sheets of 5/8" MDF rather than paying for #1 pine. I'd still use pine trim and rail though. It looks like you made the top rail from scratch.

As it happens, my wife works for Lowe's, so everything you used should be available to me. If I actually decide to do it, I might PM you to get tips, if you don't mind.
Sorry, you're right: it's actually 1/2" drywall - which is still thin by my standards given the stud spacing.

The top rail is actually a wood stop for a door frame with a piece of quarter round on top to hide the bevel against the wall and exterior grade PVC decorative molding beneath - I couldn't find the same design in pine. I had to go for something thicker than the traditional chair rail because that was too thin to cover both the backer board and the frame.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic