The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-26-2020, 10:53 PM

Default What are your other hobbies besides guitar?

I have three fairly common ones and one pretty unusual one.

The common ones: 1) I have a wood shop, 2) I build and maintain my own internet servers (mail, web, media streaming), and 3) I collect and restore antique radios.

The unusual one: I have fairly recently started collecting and restoring IBM Model M keyboards. These are the big ivory-colored ones ubiquitous in the 80s and 90s. I will explain why one would want to do that if asked; otherwise you can go here and here to see the process in pictures.

What's your hobby situation?
Old 04-27-2020, 12:43 AM

Well, I used to watch baseball, specifically the Atlanta Braves. Now I mostly stare at my autographed Dale Murphy ball. I'm a solid cook, and have a green thumb. I wanna learn kung fu, but at my age I should probably go with yoga, lol.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
I have three fairly common ones and one pretty unusual one.

The common ones: 1) I have a wood shop, 2) I build and maintain my own internet servers (mail, web, media streaming), and 3) I collect and restore antique radios.

The unusual one: I have fairly recently started collecting and restoring IBM Model M keyboards. These are the big ivory-colored ones ubiquitous in the 80s and 90s. I will explain why one would want to do that if asked; otherwise you can go here and here to see the process in pictures.

What's your hobby situation?
Good lord, I spent 20 years of my life bashing away at those things! You'#ve just given me flashbacks!

I can remember seeing piles of those and the old 3277 screens awaiting scrap in one of our stock depots in London.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

The longer I stay at home, the more I want to go flatwater kayak paddling...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-27-2020, 05:07 AM

I used to love sailing, canoeing and windsurfing but unable to find time (or energy) for that anymore.

I fill my time making things - any materials from wine racks to guitars but the thing people seem to go mad for are the small mice I make from scraps and off-cuts.

YouTube
Old 04-27-2020, 05:12 AM

A few there.

My motorbikes. I have a Yamaha WR250F for the bush & I ride with a few other people aged between 35 & & 70 (I'm 57). I also have a Ducati Scrambler 800 Desert Sled. They're touted as an offroader but I don't see it that way, for me it's 80-90% roadbike but with the capability for miles of unsealed backroads & forestry trails, maybe at worst some of the better firetrails but past that is why I have the WR.

I was a bit of a shutterbug for many years but got lazy with the smartphones. I bought myself a Xmas present recently in the form of a good midpriced bridge camera (Panasonic Lumix FZ300) & have already started accessorising there with extra batteries, tripods, filters etc & getting back into that. I hope to contribute more the Share your photos threads here as I find my feet again.

Other than that I'm a dog person as shown by my username (Saxon is a 12 yr old Blue Heeler or Cattle Dog) & we go for lots of walks in the nearby hills & river reserves & I'm now often taking my new camera along as well.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 04-27-2020, 05:25 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Listening to Foo Fighters and Eric Clapton. Checking out Reverb, worrying if there enough different species of trees.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

I used to go off road cycling, you know the fat old guy on a bike thing. Then one day I was doing a 40mph downhill when the bike hit a rift and it went one way and I went another, landing on my head (explains a lot) but as I was wearing a helmet (which got destroyed) my left shoulder took the hit and gt badly broken. I've cycled since but not in the rough.
when an illness made it impossible for me to play guitar for a few years in the '80s, I took up photography, and found I was well regarded, got my associateship of the Royal Photographic Society and about the time that photography gave me up (I left my company and lost my access to the darkroom) I was awarded the FIAP International gold medal.
I slowly relearned how to play guitar, but i was called upon as a lecturer and judge and did that from 1989 until 2017 when my cancer ended my long term speaking abilities.

I've been growing our fruit and veg since we got a small allotment in 2004, mainly for my grandson, and have since taken out two more. so food growing is quite a big thing.

I used to write articles for some guitar magazines but mainly for the British Bluegrass Music Association's magazine,until a radical change of staff ended that.
I've done some acting, in community productions and such but when they ask for actors to play "elderly men" they stipulate that you must be under sicty! so i don't do that any more, plus it is very hard work.

I have run my own music club since 2006 and the friends kept it going during my cancer year,but i really don't know when/if we will be able to restart it. We hold it in a pub, and I'm not at all confident that all our pubs wil survive the lockdown.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:47 AM

I have a green thumb, and can grow just about anything. I have a very small yard though, but it’s planted well. I also love tinkering with my moped. It’s a 1977 Columbia Commuter 49cc 2-stroke, and it runs great.
I love cats, and my boy Dusty is my best friend.
When the weather is good, I like to play tennis and frisbee, and also ride my bicycle. I like photography as well.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I have a green thumb, and can grow just about anything. I have a very small yard though, but it’s planted well. I also love tinkering with my moped. It’s a 1977 Columbia Commuter 49cc 2-stroke, and it runs great.
I love cats, and my boy Dusty is my best friend.
When the weather is good, I like to play tennis and frisbee, and also ride my bicycle. I like photography as well.
Guitars, motorcycles, carpentry and the one that's not been listed yet
by others here, drawing comics:

-Mike
Old 04-27-2020, 06:15 AM

My dad was a coach so growing up I was pushed hard to play sports: football, track, cross country, basketball, rugby, etc. In high school I rebelled and started playing music. He was not pleased until he came to an early gig and finally "got it." He was supportive after that and I, conversely, was drawn back to sports.

I now play golf and tennis several times a week though, as I approach 60, find myself playing more doubles than singles .

I also like to play pinochle online.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 04-27-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

When I was a kid... sports and music. Now that I'm not a kid, sports and music. Some things never change.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
Guitars, motorcycles, carpentry and the one that's not been listed yet
by others here, drawing comics:

-Mike
That's funny.

Tap dancing. When I went on Medicare my doctor gave me this big spiel about having an active lifestyle. He suggested getting into something like martial arts or dancing to maintain balance and coordination. So my wife and I saw something about an adult tap class starting up and we went to check it out. That was six years ago and it is a hobby that has most definitely gotten way out of hand. The neat thing about being a seventy year old male tap dancer is that when you come out on stage no one expects much. Anything you do is just dazzling to the audience.

Shooting, but that's more of a habit than a hobby.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:52 AM

Resistance Training.
You will rarely see a 70 year old with more muscle mass than me.
I also am well-known for my humility.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-27-2020, 07:07 AM

Assuming that songwriting and music production are included in the "guitar" universe, then bike riding, reading and watching hockey are my non-guitar hobbies.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic