The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-26-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
AHHA!! Coffeefan,good one!! I like the sound of "adjustable warm light".Since any light wakes up my wife I guess I need something not too bright. The reason I never got into the the Kindle thing is because I love the public library, closed since the Plague hit town. Ran outta things to read around the house at night.
I use the Kindle App on a table and my phone as others have already mentioned. One thing I suggest is to invert the color scheme so the 'page' is black and the letters are light. Not only does it save a lot of battery life on my phone and tablet but it keeps things nice and dim if I'm reading in the middle of the night yet still easy to read.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:52 PM

I have had a Kindle for at least 10-15 years. I love mine. As long as you have wifi you just go to the library on the device and you have access to thousands of books. Most new books at 9.99 to download. They take less than 30 seconds to download. I then turn the wifi off on mine and I get a week plus on the battery with heavy reading. The device will hold hundreds of books all at once.

I did not think I would like it as much as holding a book, but I got over that quikcly. Mine is so easy to read, has a back light, does not cause eye strain like a computer. So easy to travel with as well, never have to worry about leaving a book behind or not having something to read. I could never go back to a real book. My wife just uses the kindle app on her phone, but I do not care for that, not enough words on one page on the phone, all I feel like I am doing is changing pages all the time.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:11 PM

Kindle's use only Amazon's proprietary format, so if you get a book from somewhere else, you would have to convert. Kobo, the Canadian equivalent, can read almost all formats except the amazon one.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:17 PM

I much prefer using an actual Kindle device rather than the app, just because the screen doesn't tire the eyes like a phone or tablet does.

A major bonus for me is that if I fail asleep while reading them I don't lose the place like I would with a paper book. Convenience when traveling, both in the minimal size and also being able to read easily on a plane, are good. Adjustable font sizes just make it easier.

Haven't bought a physical book (of fiction) for a long, long time.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Talking

I love to read but had almost quit because books activated carpel tunnel and arthritis in my hands. I find it much easier to hold a kindle. I really like the dictionary feature found on the kindle that lets me look up a word by touching it. I buy kindle unlimited for about 10 dollars month and easily read 4 or 5 a month from this ever changing source. Kindle is my friend.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
That's right Catdaddy ,eyesore ,old and can't see!! I 'll be getting the Kindle because reading off my phone is no fun, besides I look at that thing too much anyway. Good websites suggested here. I do like Non -fiction stuff and biographies , WWII too.

Then you should definitely sign up at BookBub. I've been a lifelong student of WWII and have bought a lot of books on the subject from BookBub.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's right Catdaddy ,eyesore ,old and can't see!! I 'll be getting the Kindle because reading off my phone is no fun, besides I look at that thing too much anyway. Good websites suggested here. I do like Non -fiction stuff and biographies , WWII too.
Note you can also get the app for a regular Android tablet or iPad. (albeit more money) IMO preferable over both the phone and the Kindle tablet, bigger screen and usable for lots of other functions as well

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Here in Florida our public library has "Libby" - the app is available on Google Play Store for Android or available on the Apple Store for IOS. These are free apps, and allow you to borrow (via download) books just as if you went to the library. I have been using the service for about 6 months now, and I have found that almost all the physical book titles available are also on Libby. The nice thing is you only have to have internet access to borrow or return, but once borrowed it is available offline, so you don't have to use your data if out and about to read. Audio books are also available, but I'm not a big fan of someone reading to me. The best part is it's free and the only requirement is a library card.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic