The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-28-2020, 08:44 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Blood pressure med story - big revision!

I have been on 3 bp meds since around 2017. (One doubles as a prostrate med)

Since being on the meds, my bp has been under control. However I managed to gain over 25 pounds while on the meds. My whole body just slowed down.... I felt older than my years, always tired. Because of the side effects of one med., Amlodipine Besylate, I had to take water pills to help offset lower leg swelling.

Lately, I was having some problems and the swelling was not good. I was told to drop my water pills in half because of potassium issues though.

Finally, during a Zoom doctor appt with a different general doctor for poison ivy, she saw the huge water retention and told me to show my cardiologist. He agreed and changed my meds. Suddenly I have no swelling and feel 10 years younger. I had told my cardiologist about the swelling but every time I saw him the swelling was at a low point and said you'll be fine.

I also mentioned being tired all the time to two doctors, both my cardiologist and normal general doctor and it fell on deaf ears.

Now with my energy levels back to normal I'll be able to work off this spare tire!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 06-28-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 AM

What great news Barry! Doctors, like many other people, can get stuck in a rut and not listen as closely as they should, or try different things. Here’s to your taking off ten years!
Old 06-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I had a similar, but less serious problem with the same drug. I was taking 10mcg per day (in combination with another BP med) and I had similar foot and ankle swelling. At first it was just unsightly. But over a period of a few years, it got REALLY bad, to where it was painful - couldn't fit in a lot of my shoes and it just hurt, like my skin was getting ready to give out. But my cardiologist got on it as soon as I told him, changed my combination of drugs so I was only on 5mcg per day of Amlodapine, and my feet and ankles are basically normal. When he looks at them he still sees some signs of swelling (called "edema"), but it's vastly reduced and I can't see or feel it anymore. My daughter is a family doc and she says that's a really typical side effect with a number of BP meds, but that one is among the worst.

But I never had the general fatigue or feeling older like you mention Barry. I generally felt OK, except that it hurt to have my feet down and swollen. It wasn't intolerable, but it's a whole lot better now on half the dosage.

-Ray
Old 06-28-2020, 09:24 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I had a similar, but less serious problem with the same drug. I was taking 10mcg per day (in combination with another BP med) and I had similar foot and ankle swelling. At first it was just unsightly. But over a period of a few years, it got REALLY bad, to where it was painful - couldn't fit in a lot of my shoes and it just hurt, like my skin was getting ready to give out. But my cardiologist got on it as soon as I told him, changed my combination of drugs so I was only on 5mcg per day of Amlodapine, and my feet and ankles are basically normal. When he looks at them he still sees some signs of swelling (called "edema"), but it's vastly reduced and I can't see or feel it anymore. My daughter is a family doc and she says that's a really typical side effect with a number of BP meds, but that one is among the worst.

But I never had the general fatigue or feeling older like you mention Barry. I generally felt OK, except that it hurt to have my feet down and swollen. It wasn't intolerable, but it's a whole lot better now on half the dosage.

-Ray
Ray, this is good news and I'm glad you got it corrected too! I was thinking my heart was going bad and thats why it was getting worse! Whew!

No more compression socks now!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-28-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I had high blood pressure, and High cholesterol when I worked which eased up when I retired but my weighty had risen to 210lbs.
esp after tjhree weeks in the states eating US sized portions.

the year after my visits to the US I developed heart issues and had three stents.

The gave me Candersarten (Cilexetil?) to manage BP. and Nevibolol for fibrillation.

in 217 when i had radio and Chemo treatment I was unable to swallow properly no solids nor tablets, so all drugs were reduced or stopped. I went from 210 to 150 lbs in six weeks.

BP issues resolved, and so I now only take Nebivolol to manage fibrillation.

A few months after cancer treatment despite the hospital's advice, my GP referred me to the local gym to regain my muscle tone and i continued that three times weekly until lockdown. I didn't increase in weight until lockdown and I'm now 160lbs due to reduced exercise over the last few months (although Nanny Jane and I do a 30-40 minute workout every morning) - bottled beer is the worst enemy!

I'm convinced that the best cure for hypertension and water retention is exercise.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:54 AM

I take Amlodipine (10mg) and Perindopril Indapamide for hypertension. I don't get swollen ankles or anything but I also am very tired and feel "older" than I should. I am going to follow up on this, maybe I need something different.
Thanks.
Epiphone Dot
Old 06-28-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Another Amlodipine 10mg user for quite a few years. Was originally on Atenolol but my pulse was too low and I had cold fingers. My Dr. checks circulation in my lower legs/feet at each annual visit. No issues, but I do a strenuous elliptical for 30 min each morning.

I've actually lost 10 lbs during the lock-down (no donuts at work!) and am at my target weight of 175.

In March I also asked my Dr. to drop the statin I was taking (atorvastatin) because of the good lipid results for a decade and regular exercise. We did a 3 month trial and my panel was good on all, but just ever so slightly high on the total. He agreed to continue the test until my next annual. I do feel better off the statin, and the cramps in my beefy calves (see elliptical note above!) have almost disappeared. If I hadn't asked, he just would have kept it going out of inertia.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Oops, holy cow! I had to go back on it within the last hour. My BP went to 199/123 so the doctor said back on it! Yesterday I felt fine, so I don't know what happened.

So now we're going to get on a diet with exercise and bring my weight back down around 200 (from 230) and see what happens. At least now I know the swelling isn't heart related.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-28-2020, 01:19 PM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Time for a new song Barry....water retention blues! Have you ever looked into a plant based diet?
Old 06-28-2020, 01:26 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Time for a new song Barry....water retention blues! Have you ever looked into a plant based diet?
I can see a lot of salads in my future.

Yuck

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 PM

This is why pharmacists make the big bucks.

Ever since I was delivered by a Wise Quacking obstetrician and my mother was informed via a phone call that my father had died on a gurney waiting to talk to a doctor I have had little use for "medical advice." Whenever I go to the doctor (in this case my general practioner) I spend more time either filling out forms or waiting. Once I actually deal with a person it's a nurse who legally can't tell me anything. When I finally do talk with the doctor it's always less than 10 minutes and the answers to my questions are usually terse and phrased in absolutes with little to no discussion on details. I get the impression that I'm expected to comply without understanding and that my questions are actually insulting.

I come away from the experience feeling like I'm dealing with an automobile mechanic who just wants me to sign on the dotted line and pay the copay so that he can submit the claim to my insurance company.

IMO we should all have a follow through with a pharmacist. I think that nurses need to be given greater responsibilities and accountability as well. That way we can have a more efficient means of getting a second opinion without having to enter a waiting queue that is months - or sometimes YEARS long - and basically be schooled in 10 minutes all over again.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:26 PM

Default yup

"When I finally do talk with the doctor it's always less than 10 minutes and the answers to my questions are usually terse and phrased in absolutes with little to no discussion on details. I get the impression that I'm expected to comply without understanding and that my questions are actually insulting." Neil

Oh yes...the 10 minutes is apropos for HMO and many other docs. I like to question their decisions and it riles them to think I won't listen to them and blindly take only meds without any other options. My GP has stated that foods and lifestyle change don't work...he is DEAD wrong You must continue to search for a physician that will ,"first, do no harm"...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic