The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Nice strat. love the finish enjoy it, play the hell out of it and get that natural relicing happening on it =P

I just got mine three weeks ago for my birthday (I made a thread about it showing it off), AmPro in 3TSB with maple neck, single coils vmods, haven't been able to put it down. best electric guitar I've ever owned and even love it more than my Les Paul now.

I don't know what it is about Stratocasters but There's a certain magic that just comes out of them that you can't get from any other type of electric guitar. Maple neck strats are terrific for providing that bit of extra snap that you just can't seem to get from rosewood, maple really helps give you that nice meaty hendrix tone on the bridge pickup.
It's a very nice strat for sure. I don't see this one leaving my stable!
Old 06-27-2020, 02:52 PM

A beauty!!
Old 06-27-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
They’re not?? That’s not good, ash on some finishes is awesome (like my G&L ASAT Classic hollow body...)
Hey Pieter, Fender announced a few weeks ago that they're no longer using ash for their guitars, although they may for some custom shops (not sure on that).

Source: https://guitar.com/news/industry-new...ar-production/ :

"Fender explained two key environmental factors that led to the decision. Firstly, an invasive insect species, the Emerald Ash Borer, has been responsible for the sharp decline of ash trees in North America over the last two decades.

And secondly, the increased flooding of the Mississippi Delta, where the company gets most of its swamp ash wood, has caused a “near-total elimination of ash lumber from the market”, Gutnik claims. Last year saw record-setting floods, which caused the swamp ash harvesting grounds to remain underwater for most of the year.

As a result, Fender has as of 27 March stopped supplying dealers with certain ash models such as the American Pro Stratocaster, Telecaster and Jazz Bass."
Old 06-27-2020, 03:52 PM
Guitar Gourmet

That's a really pretty guitar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I am hoping this one will be the last for a while!
Hmmm. Luck on that...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-27-2020, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Pieter, Fender announced a few weeks ago that they're no longer using ash for their guitars, although they may for some custom shops (not sure on that).

Source: https://guitar.com/news/industry-new...ar-production/ :

"Fender explained two key environmental factors that led to the decision. Firstly, an invasive insect species, the Emerald Ash Borer, has been responsible for the sharp decline of ash trees in North America over the last two decades.

And secondly, the increased flooding of the Mississippi Delta, where the company gets most of its swamp ash wood, has caused a “near-total elimination of ash lumber from the market”, Gutnik claims. Last year saw record-setting floods, which caused the swamp ash harvesting grounds to remain underwater for most of the year.

As a result, Fender has as of 27 March stopped supplying dealers with certain ash models such as the American Pro Stratocaster, Telecaster and Jazz Bass."
Some models, like the American Pro, will have one finish that is on ash with most on alder. The finish I chose was chosen for looks, but also because that was the finish that came with an ash body. The new Warmoth telecaster body I just bought was also swamp ash. I figured I had better get one now while they are still available. I have nothing against alder, but I like ash just a little bit better.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Some models, like the American Pro, will have one finish that is on ash with most on alder. The finish I chose was chosen for looks, but also because that was the finish that came with an ash body. The new Warmoth telecaster body I just bought was also swamp ash. I figured I had better get one now while they are still available. I have nothing against alder, but I like ash just a little bit better.

I checked this out on Fender’s website. The Pro is now offered with alder only as far as I can tell. The Ultra is offering ash but I’m not sure with which finish.

Presumably if flood levels go back to more normal levels they’ll be able to harvest the swamp ash again...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-28-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, etc still show the Sienna Sunburst as Ash and all other models as alder, but heck, I am willing to bet the alder sounds just about as good if not better for some things.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars