The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2020, 08:31 PM

Default Maui 11G2 or Maui 5?

Sorry for the dupe post but I could use some feedback and the Maui 11G2 thread I found is kind of dead.

I have a room that is about 14 x 12 and I want a good quality powered speaker for live vocals with backing tracks. I would also like the system to be capable of working in a larger venue if possible. I don't mind spending a little more for that flexibility... but it has GOT to be pleasant in the smaller space. (The room is actually more like 14 x 30 but the area that's likely to be occupied is not as deep.)

The Maui 5 and 11G2 both look great, and I am super interested in the 11G2... but I am unsure that it will sound OK when turned down enough to be used in a smaller space. If you're 8-10 feet away from the unit is it going to be too harsh?

Open to any feedback... thanks much!
Old 06-14-2020, 01:29 AM

The Maui 5 is very very underpowered. Definitely the 11G2 if it's between those two
Old 06-14-2020, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

The 5 & 11G2 are not the only options I could consider, but seemed to be two of the most popular all-in-ones in the under $1k range. Not having any experience with this kind of gear I am totally unsure if something in the 11G2 class will be too much for my practice area.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:13 PM

The 11G2 will likely be too much for private practice but if you're ever going to use it for a performance with more than 20 people in the audience, that'd be the one to get. It sounds best when you're not right next to it. If you're not strictly looking for a column-style, some of the more traditional acoustic amps like the Fishman Mini, Roland AC60 or even the Bose S1 Pro may be better for your needs. They are more adjustable and generally more versatile.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:19 PM

Thanks much, I will check those out!
Old 06-15-2020, 08:58 AM

I use the 11G2 and love it. I've used it in smaller rooms and have been very happy with the sound.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 06-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks @Stratcat77, good to hear.

Analysis paralysis... eventually, I am gonna have to take a chance on something!
Old 06-16-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
Thanks @Stratcat77, good to hear.

Analysis paralysis... eventually, I am gonna have to take a chance on something!
I actually bought a Bose S1 thinking it might be more convenient for me for the small rooms I occasionally play. But I concluded after using it a couple of times that I preferred the sound of the Maui. Could just be personal preference. Could be because I have it dialed in. But I sold the Bose.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 06-26-2020, 10:18 AM

Default Which one is best for small rooms?

I normally use 1 or 2 QSC K12 speakers with my A&H Zed10fx, but smaller indoor venues (20-50 people) make it challenging to position it so I can hear it, and often have feedback issues ~125hz, so I'm looking for something with a smaller footprint, but still full range tone for me on stage as well as the audience that is usually only about 10-20 feet away.

I bought a Bose L1 Compact, and I have yet to open it. But now I'm hearing about the LD systems, like the Maui 5 and the Maui 11 g2.

I'm just curious if you think the Maui 11 g2 is too powerful for small rooms like that, and If the Maui 5 would be equal to or better than the Bose L1 compact.

Thanks everyone :-)
Old 06-26-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejetay View Post
and often have feedback issues ~125hz
Keep in mind I don't have any Maui yet... but in the reviews I have read everyone says that they are fantastic with rejecting feedback.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:54 PM

Went ahead and ordered the Maui 11 g2. GC has 48 months and it's on sale for $799. With the extra cases its pretty much the same cost as the Bose L1 Compact.

With 180 returns right now I'll have ample time to A/B bother systems. (Maybe even A/B/C with my K12s)

I'll post an update
Old 07-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Maui 11 arrived. Did an A/B with Bose Compact.

Visually, they are same height, The Bose system is just skinnier, more "compact".

The Maui 11 is definitely a lot heavier. The base unit weighs almost as much as my k-12, and the two tower components way about as much as the components for the Bose L1 model 2 components.

Soundwise, the Bose has a lot more crispiness and clarity, especially in the vocals, which can be good and bad depending on how good my vocals are that day.

The Maui has a much fuller sound, with a ton of bottom end that I actually had to turn down (Nice feature by the way to have a separate volume nob just for the bass).

Still not sure which one I'm going to keep, might even try the Maui 5 for kind of an in-between option.

The Maui 11 could possibly be a contender to replace my QSC k-12s for bigger venues, but I'll have to do an outdoor test to confirm that.

Considering my goal is to use my k-12s for most of my venues that are larger or outdoor, and have a portable system specifically for smaller indoor coffee shops and wineries. I think the Bose will probably be the better choice because I don't think I will need the extra bottom end in those scenarios, and the system is so light to carry, and it has the three options for different positions.

To be continued...
Old 07-02-2020, 02:27 PM

I have the Maui 5 Go and find it has plenty of power.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the report @Beejetay!

From what you have heard so far do you think the Maui 11G2 would be inoffensive in a small venue, like 10 people? It's working for @stratcat77 in a small room but I would love a second opinion. (It has just the right combination of features for me... but most of the time, I would have it in a smaller than ideal space.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification