The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-02-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
I have a 2014 Les Paul Traditional (supposed non-weight relieved) and it is noticeably heavier than my 2014 LP Studio. I was having a good deal of shoulder pain. Switched to an LM, 2 1/2" wide Distressed Suede strap and it virtually eliminated the shoulder discomfort.

Weight relieved model with a wide, padded strap may work.
Great point about the wide strap. I have a bunch of straps and two of them are thick LeatherGraft leather 2.7" straps with extra padding. Great on the shoulder.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:01 PM

A PRS SC245. They're weight relieved. It's a discontinued model but there's some decent deals on used one's out there. Mine's 8.6 pounds which for me, is a perfect weight. And it's the best "Les Paul" I've ever played.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:02 PM

A really good deal on a used Eastman SB59 I've been raving about here:

https://reverb.com/item/33945606-eas...oaAnB9EALw_wcB

That is a lot of guitar for around $1k.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-05-2020, 08:30 AM

Just though of the Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite. I've heard they sound closer to an SG, but it's worth checking out, if you can find one.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I have an Eastman SB 59v and my friends have LPs. Workmanship is unquestionably better on the Eastman hands down. The all play about the same and the sound is subjective, but at the very least you can't say the Eastman sounds worse. They all have their own character. I personally though, think the Eastman sounds better too.

Eastman was far cheaper than my friend's LPs too.
I have played a rack full of the Eastman's, and have owned more Les Pauls than you can count, as they are my favorite guitar. And when I went to check out the Eastman's, I wanted to like them, so I could recommend one to my close friend who was looking for a Les Paul (cheaper) alternative. I just happened to be visiting a store that got a fresh shipment of Eastmans in, so..

I had my Historic '57 reissue in the store with me, and when I was checking out the Eastmans, NO ONE thought any of the Eastman's compared tonally to my '57. I tested all of the guitars through wonderful freshly serviced 50's vintage amp that was in the store. What was missing was the low end punch. And I liked the Eastman's tone, but they all sounded thinner in comparison to what I'm used to, that's why I said it was a stretch. And the quality of the Eastman's was very good, but in no way better than my reissue. I own three Historic reissues and they are all of the same quality, so I don't think my '57 is exceptional in those regards.

Here is the '57 that I did the test with, and below a '54 with P90s that may be even better than the '57

And I would rather not have any electric guitar that I gig with have a varnish style finish, as I've already dealt with that on two acoustics, and I wore right through those finishes very fast!

If I were looking to save money and get the Gibson Les Paul sound, I would go for a Heritage H150 as I have plenty of experience with them. I still have two of them and modded them with pickups and parts I like. They have the punch that I like...

(here's my '60 Reissue Historic LP with my two Heritage H150s)

But that's what forums are for. Your experiences are yours, mine are mine, and by posting each of our experiences, people that are interested will know that they better check each side out, and make their own call! And I believe we all listen for different sounds in a guitar, and that you may truly like your Eastman better for tone. But I grew up playing Les Pauls, and have developed my style around them, so I would say my ear is pretty tuned into them.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:38 PM

A great option for a light Les Paul like guitar would be a Gretsch G6114 "New Jet", which was designed to appeal to Les Paul players. They are generally lighter than a typical Les Paul as they are a bit chambered, sound great, and are priced fairly reasonably. Check these out...

https://reverb.com/p/gretsch-g6114-new-jet-2001-2003
Old 06-14-2020, 08:01 PM

Nice call on the Gretsch! a Gibson LP studio is also something to look at. Not a fan of the Eastman method.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

A Tom Anderson Hollow Bobcat might be an interesting option.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I have played a rack full of the Eastman's, and have owned more Les Pauls than you can count, as they are my favorite guitar. And when I went to check out the Eastman's, I wanted to like them, so I could recommend one to my close friend who was looking for a Les Paul (cheaper) alternative. I just happened to be visiting a store that got a fresh shipment of Eastmans in, so..

I had my Historic '57 reissue in the store with me, and when I was checking out the Eastmans, NO ONE thought any of the Eastman's compared tonally to my '57. I tested all of the guitars through wonderful freshly serviced 50's vintage amp that was in the store. What was missing was the low end punch. And I liked the Eastman's tone, but they all sounded thinner in comparison to what I'm used to, that's why I said it was a stretch. And the quality of the Eastman's was very good, but in no way better than my reissue. I own three Historic reissues and they are all of the same quality, so I don't think my '57 is exceptional in those regards.

Here is the '57 that I did the test with, and below a '54 with P90s that may be even better than the '57

And I would rather not have any electric guitar that I gig with have a varnish style finish, as I've already dealt with that on two acoustics, and I wore right through those finishes very fast!

If I were looking to save money and get the Gibson Les Paul sound, I would go for a Heritage H150 as I have plenty of experience with them. I still have two of them and modded them with pickups and parts I like. They have the punch that I like...

(here's my '60 Reissue Historic LP with my two Heritage H150s)

But that's what forums are for. Your experiences are yours, mine are mine, and by posting each of our experiences, people that are interested will know that they better check each side out, and make their own call! And I believe we all listen for different sounds in a guitar, and that you may truly like your Eastman better for tone. But I grew up playing Les Pauls, and have developed my style around them, so I would say my ear is pretty tuned into them.
What PUPs were in the Eastman? They have made them with more than one PUP.

Like I said, I also AB'd mine against my friend's Les Paul (I think it was a standard... he's since sold it.) and it was better made and I thought sounded better. He even thought the same thing.

Also, maybe yours are better, but Historic Reissues are also like 3 times the price of the Eastman.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-15-2020, 01:03 AM

Quote:
What PUPs were in the Eastman? They have made them with more than one PUP.

Like I said, I also AB'd mine against my friend's Les Paul (I think it was a standard... he's since sold it.) and it was better made and I thought sounded better. He even thought the same thing.

Also, maybe yours are better, but Historic Reissues are also like 3 times the price of the Eastman.

What PUPs were in the Eastman?

The Eastmans that I tried had Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups in them.

I've played quite a few USA Standard Les Pauls that have sounded great, so it's not just Historics that have the tone. But I personally like Historics, because of the lightweight mahogany that they generally have.

And yes, Historic Reissues are more expensive, but I was just saying it's a stretch to say... "Eastman SB series probably sounds and plays better than a standard Les Paul too".

But the thing I don't like about the Eastmans, may be exactly what you like about them. Many people feel that a Les Paul neck pickup tone is a bit too thick, so a thinner sound may appeal more to those people. And also to be fair, it took me along time to learn how to bring the best out of a Les Paul amp wise. It's all about personal taste.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
What PUPs were in the Eastman?

The Eastmans that I tried had Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups in them.

I've played quite a few USA Standard Les Pauls that have sounded great, so it's not just Historics that have the tone. But I personally like Historics, because of the lightweight mahogany that they generally have.

And yes, Historic Reissues are more expensive, but I was just saying it's a stretch to say... "Eastman SB series probably sounds and plays better than a standard Les Paul too".

But the thing I don't like about the Eastmans, may be exactly what you like about them. Many people feel that a Les Paul neck pickup tone is a bit too thick, so a thinner sound may appeal more to those people. And also to be fair, it took me along time to learn how to bring the best out of a Les Paul amp wise. It's all about personal taste.
Thanks, but the Lollar PUPs sound way better with Eastmans than the Seymour Duncans to my ears. Mine has the Lollar PUPs and they are not thin sounding to me. The neck position with Lollars is the most round sounding and fat neck position I've heard personally for a humbucker. And, I was comparing the Eastmans to the "standard run" LPs, not the Historics or custom shop LPs though.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-15-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but the Lollar PUPs sound way better with Eastmans than the Seymour Duncans to my ears. Mine has the Lollar PUPs and they are not thin sounding to me. The neck position with Lollars is the most round sounding and fat neck position I've heard personally for a humbucker. And, I was comparing the Eastmans to the "standard run" LPs, not the Historics or custom shop LPs though.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.
Well that shows we listen for different things, which is what I;ve been saying all along. I had Lollar Imperials (their top of the line), in two different guitars and didn't get along with them.

You may dislike what I like and that why it's a total preference, but it still comes down to it's a stretch for any one to say that Eastmans sound better than Les Pauls, and that's not just Historics. I guess I should give examples of what "I" like about Les Pauls, and haven't heard in the Eastmans that I played.

These are just songs where I picked up a Les Paul and played off the cuff straight into an amp...

Here's my Standard Run USA LP with Antiquities into a TopHat Royale amp sounding just as good as any of my Historics (Les Paul @ 2:05)...

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6605960

And here's my one of my Heritage H150s (which you can buy used for around $1500 all day long) with Seth Lovers straight into a VOX AC15 that I back-lined for a fly-gig in NY

And here's my R7 with the stock Gibson pickups (Custombuckers), and the solo at 2:42 pretty much reflects what I go for in a Les Paul and what I consider "fat LP tone"...

Old 06-15-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Well that shows we listen for different things, which is what I;ve been saying all along. I had Lollar Imperials (their top of the line), in two different guitars and didn't get along with them.

You may dislike what I like and that why it's a total preference, but it still comes down to it's a stretch for any one to say that Eastmans sound better than Les Pauls, and that's not just Historics. I guess I should give examples of what "I" like about Les Pauls, and haven't heard in the Eastmans that I played.

These are just songs where I picked up a Les Paul and played off the cuff straight into an amp...

Here's my Standard Run USA LP with Antiquities into a TopHat Royale amp sounding just as good as any of my Historics (Les Paul @ 2:05)...

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6605960

And here's my one of my Heritage H150s (which you can buy used for around $1500 all day long) with Seth Lovers straight into a VOX AC15 that I back-lined for a fly-gig in NY

And here's my R7 with the stock Gibson pickups (Custombuckers), and the solo at 2:42 pretty much reflects what I go for in a Les Paul and what I consider "fat LP tone"...

Thanks, but I did say "probably" better. Meaning that depending on your taste or a particular guitar, they could sound better. It's not meant to be a universal statement, but to some, like me and my friend, it is true.

Anyhow, nice sound and good playing.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-19-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
You could always check out an SG.
Yep!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars