The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-18-2022, 10:11 AM

Default WTH! What’s this Reverb scam about?!?

Just listed a couple guitars on Reverb. In two cases I got immediate inquiries that said “I’m making an inquiry for my Dad and i have sent him the pictures, his interest in buying it Can you reach out to him on his Email:<e-mail addrress@gmail>” so both of you can discuss the purchase,Thank you.”

Two different senders, neither of which has any transaction record on Reverb.

I’m smart enough to to not click on anything but what the heck?!? Isn’t anything sacred anymore??
Old 10-18-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Just listed a couple guitars on Reverb. In two cases I got immediate inquiries that said “I’m making an inquiry for my Dad and i have sent him the pictures, his interest in buying it Can you reach out to him on his Email:<e-mail addrress@gmail>” so both of you can discuss the purchase,Thank you.”

I’m smart enough to to not click on anything but what the heck?!? Isn’t anything sacred anymore??
No, no it isn't.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:46 AM

At least you're smart enough to recognize a scam when you see one. Some people aren't.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I've gotten the same inquiries so I guess somebody on Reverb falls for it...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-18-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post

If nothing else, the scammers/spammers/phishers get an email address from you that they know is a live email address. That's worth something in their community.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely correct (post above this one). Any unwanted/unsolicited email you get with an 'unsubscribe' link is simply some oxygen bandit building a gigantic list of active/responsive email addresses to sell to some other scammer.

What's sad to me is carefully relegating these emails to my junk mail folder, hoping that future garbage from the same source will go there automatically. And it does, for a while. But after it works a few times, the same names start popping up again (with the source email address tweaked by a character or two - thereby sidestepping the filter I set up.

Inviting us to "log-in" (so they can have your username and password). Lying, scumbag repeat offenders represent themselves as:
Norton
Renewal by Anderson
Schwann's Delivery
Sam's Club
Ken Froescher
U.S.A. Wild Seafood
CarshieldUSA
Splash Wine
Christian-Match
Home Depot Survey (extra sneaky this one, because so many of us actually shopped at HD just last week)
Bank of America
etc.
etc.

They are not.

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-18-2022 at 08:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic