The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-23-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Anything that is too flimsy is to be avoided. My Stage One was a great ax to learn on, but had too much flex. The EMCI I got was the bomb. It had an aluminum frame but was still a beast to transport. A 3x5 will do a lot of what you need.
Brick, was it the original Stage One or the re-engineered Encore? I remember there was a lot of feedback about the first Stage One design and Doug Ernest redid the line to the Encore. An all pull mechanism as opposed to a push/pull.
frank d.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Anyone looking to install benders on a Tele should consider doing the real deal Parsons/White benders which are actuated by the end strap button and top strap horn.

If you're installing on a guitar I don't see the advantage of "palm benders".
Please clarify for me…how is this any different than you saying to put benders on your lap steel boards? It’s still not going to be a pedal steel guitar.

Frank d.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:52 AM

I see the OP is in Orange County. Give Jim Palenscar at "Steel Guitars of North County" a call. His shop is in Oceanside. Jim is a great guy, and his shop is a steel players dream.

This link should take you to his site. https://steelguitars.me/
Old 09-24-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Please clarify for me…how is this any different than you saying to put benders on your lap steel boards? It’s still not going to be a pedal steel guitar.

Frank d.
Hi Frank,

I don't recall anyone saying that putting palm benders (or using the Parsons/White system...) is going to make a regular guitar or lap steel a "pedal steel guitar".

The OP was concerned about the weight of a conventional pedal steel guitar as well as looking for something "more practical" for basic accompaniment so these were offered as alternatives.

If you're asking about what makes the Parsons/White benders better than the palm benders I'd suggest that shifting weight on a Tele is a whole lot ergonomic than using palm levers, since the direction of operation is 90 degrees opposed to hand motion. That looks like a good recipe for muscle strain to me. You'd have to ask one of the myriad of Parsons/White users to get an answer directly from the horse's mouth.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-24-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:

An alternative might be to investigate a lap steel with a palm lever or two installed. These can also be very effective in achieving the pedal steel sound.
Quote:
Check out the first minute of this palm bender video. It would be even better if he used the roller bridge with it, but it's a pretty convincing "pedal steel" sound:
Quote:
Anyone looking to install benders on a Tele should consider doing the real deal Parsons/White benders which are actuated by the end strap button and top strap horn.

If you're installing on a guitar I don't see the advantage of "palm benders".
Quote:
Hi Frank,

I don't recall anyone saying that putting palm benders (or using the Parsons/White system...) is going to make a regular guitar or lap steel a "pedal steel guitar"……
If you're asking about what makes the Parsons/White benders better than the palm benders…….
Rudy,
This is clearly what you said. That’s ok with me. But any idea you presented here is a non-sequiter to a person that’s an actual pedal steeler, of which I am one, and so is the O.P.
frank d.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Brick, was it the original Stage One or the re-engineered Encore? I remember there was a lot of feedback about the first Stage One design and Doug Ernest redid the line to the Encore. An all pull mechanism as opposed to a push/pull.
frank d.
It was when Zumsteels were still being made, so likely it was an old one. The guy I sold it to played dive honky tonks and was delighted to have a beater.LOL
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-24-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
It was when Zumsteels were still being made, so likely it was an old one. The guy I sold it to played dive honky tonks and was delighted to have a beater.LOL
You know how it is, Brick….not everybody needs the best, the newest, the most colorful. I bet that guy has a ball playing your StageOne! Not a care in the world when a drink gets dumped on it, or a patron trips over it.
frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 09-25-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:18 AM

I have tried two versions of the palm levers (Telecaster and lap steel) and they do not suit me.

Quote:
So, what exactly is it you are looking for?
Just what I'm getting here.... information about current pedal steel options. Cut the weight in half, and simplify the setup.

Thanks to these recomendations, I am looking at Justice and learning about others.

Quote:
Give Jim Palenscar at "Steel Guitars of North County" a call. His shop is in Oceanside. Jim is a great guy, and his shop is a steel players dream.
- THANK YOU for this recommendation. I was in Oceanside yesterday and the day before; now it looks like I'll be there again this week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments