The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2022, 10:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Martin Guitars & the use of Ebony going forward

We (the Martin authorized dealer network) received a bulletin recently, regarding the use of ebony for fingerboards & bridges... as well as some alternative materials. We just added a thorough blog post on our website & we invite you to check it out. Sorry, forum regulations ask that I don't link to it from this section of the AGF.

Basically, the only Nazareth-made Martins to continue with solid, uniformly-dark ebony will be style 41, 42, 45 and some customs/limited editions. All others may exhibit the natural, streaky appearance you've been starting to see.

The Mexico-made SCs, as well as the Shawn Mendes, could end up with streaky ebony, Richlite, Katalox or Granadillo.

Contact us if you have any questions about the fingerboard & bridge on ANY guitar on our website, and remember... we show actual pictures of all in-stock guitars, and they can be found on the IMAGES tab on that product.

Thanks.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-21-2022, 11:57 AM

Wow. Just wow.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:20 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Brand new HD-28. Click to embiggen.

I feel certain that they are reacting to the Taylor/Crelicam dictates, since they control export rights to most African ebony and decided to stop the wastage of 9/10s of the ebony supply simply in order to keep it all black. That decision was reached because the world supply of West African ebony (Diospyros crassiflora Hiern) has been harvested and wasted to the edge of extinction.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-21-2022, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

I feel certain that they are reacting to the Taylor/Crelicam dictates, since they control export rights to most African ebony and decided to stop the wastage of 9/10s of the ebony supply simply in order to keep it all black. That decision was reached because the world supply of West African ebony (Diospyros crassiflora Hiern) has been harvested and wasted to the edge of extinction.

Bob
Bob, Although it'll be decades before it's realized, Taylor's ebony planting efforts may bring back enough naturally blacker ebony for guitar usage. Then again, in the meantime, and although it's been used for years, I wonder if this will slake many a player's thirst for the dark side.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...erboard-stain/

Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-21-2022 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:13 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Bob, Although it'll be decades before it's realized, Taylor's ebony planting efforts may bring back enough naturally blacker ebony for guitar usage.
I, for one, approved of their actions.
Quote:
Then again, in the meantime, and although it's been used for years, I wonder if this will slake many a player's thirst for the dark side.
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...erboard-stain/
Good question. I'm not opposed to people staining if they like that look. The HD-28 shown above is mine, bought about two weeks ago. I've considered staining the fingerboard and I'm on the fence about it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-21-2022, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
It sure did not help the Ebony supply problems that every **** Baby Taylor and GS Mini had jet black ebony fingerboard and bridge. (Maybe they still do?)
What a waste.

I really like rocklite as ebony alternative and Katalox is fantastic also.
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 10-21-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasapple View Post
It sure did not help the Ebony supply problems that every **** Baby Taylor and GS Mini had jet black ebony fingerboard and bridge. (Maybe they still do?)
What a waste.

I really like rocklite as ebony alternative and Katalox is fantastic also.

Pretty sure Taylor’s been using streaked ebony since 2014/2015….
Old 10-22-2022, 06:29 AM

I bought a new Taylor 712 in 1993. It had a few white streaks in the fingerboard ebony.
I saw a new HD-28 in a store around the same time that also had it. I liked it and felt it gave it character like most figured wood. It's funny. When you buy walnut gunstock blanks, more figure equals a higher grade and $$$$. People want character in their wood if it does not compromise strength.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:36 AM

Personally, I’d prefer Martin uses Richlite rather than streaked Ebony for their fingerboards.

Richlite looks much nicer than the new streaked Ebony aesthetic. I have a D16GT (2008) with a Richlite fingerboard and it looks just as nice as my D18 (2020) which has a non-streaked Ebony fingerboard. No difference in playability and I’m assuming no tonal difference either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ebony, martin ebony, martin guitar, non-dyed ebony