The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
You’re used to buying Martin and Taylor which don’t have minimum pricing rules like Collings and the other boutiques. It’s nice to buy a Martin at 40-off, knowing that your downside is limited on a resale, but you won’t have any such cushion when you buy a boutique like Collings brand new. This is where it pays to try before you buy...so you’re absolutely sure.
Well, maybe - I had a sponsor quote me a price today $1500 below the sticker on the Collings I want from TME, shipped, no taxes. Unfortunately it sold before I could pull the trigger - but TME has one in stock. If the sponsor quoted me this great price, will TME match? I’m fine to pay taxes - it’s fair especially since I peruse their store occasionally, but I’m not down with paying $1500 more than I can elsewhere.. I’ll of course try to work this out in the store, but it would be helpful to know how successful others have been negotiating with them given my past experience.

Last edited by KFP55; 04-22-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-22-2018, 07:39 PM

You should absolutely consider buying a preowned Collings guitar. It will be around 20% cheaper than new.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
Well, maybe - I had a sponsor quote me a price today $1500 below the sticker on the Collingsl I want from TME, shipped, no taxes. Unfortunately it sold before I could pull the trigger - but TME has one in stock. If the sponsor quoted me this great price, will TME match? I’m fine to pay taxes - it’s fair especially since I peruse their store occasionally, but I’m not down with paying $1500 more than I can elsewhere.. I’ll of course try to work this out in the store? But would be helpful to know how successful others have been negotiating with them given my past experience.
I used to be in retail, and I will tell you this: Having an account as a retail distributor for a great manufacturer is very, very valuable to a retailer. I personally would never risk losing my account with a fantastic supplier by violating my contract in order to give an unknown stranger a great deal over the phone.

As a former retailer who has seen some great lengths that companies will go to in order to ensure that their distributors are complying with their sales policies, your story raises some red flags to me.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 04-22-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
You should absolutely consider buying a preowned Collings guitar. It will be around 20% cheaper than new.
+1...At least look around a little before laying down full sticker retail at TME. Such a Buyer’s market now on the secondary side.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:46 PM

Gryphon Stringed Instruments has a huge selection of Collings and it's where I’ve bought all of mine. SUPER folks to work with!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion