The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Give My Love To Rose or How To Sing And Play Without Choking Up

Does anyone else have a hard time playing and singing a song like Johnny Cash's Give My Love To Rose without choking up?

I've been pondering this because it is not the only song i play that makes me do this.

How do some of you seasoned guys suppress the overwhelming emotional wave that comes with trying to perform a sad song or a song that pushes all the buttons?

I would really learn the trick to suppressing that emotional wave.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 PM

I can’t do it.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 PM

Yes. Just keep practicing the song. The phrasing, the resonances, the different ways each verse will be sung to make it come alive.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 04-05-2018, 04:24 AM

Food for thought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJRjEpjd9S4

You have to be as unemotional as possible when performing music. As you're saying, over-emotion obviously gets in the way, but you need to reduce it way more than you might think. You're just the bearer of a message, and you need to get it across clean, without messing it up with your interpretation of it.

Obviously, as a human being, it's impossible for you to play music without some degree of personal interpretation. It's the same as when you speak: you don't have to try to sound like yourself, you just do. But if you're passing on someone else's message, you don't try to sound like them. Saying it in your voice is enough. And even if it's an emotional message, you don't break down while relating it.
E.g., maybe person A's mother just died, and you want to tell B. No need for you to start crying while telling B. B may cry depending how well they know A - but they will get the emotion in the message even if you say it as unemotionally as possible, in fact especially if you do. You could write it on a piece of paper - zero emotional input from you - and it would have the same effect on B.

Sorry I can't help, though. Some music does move me to tears when I hear it - or sometimes even think about it - but when I play it it doesn't have that effect. I don't have to try to be unemotional. guess I'm too involved in the notes (on guitar and voice) and getting them right. I have a job to do, and emotion is irrelevant.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:25 AM

You are not alone. It had never happened to me until I started to perform "Remember When". It really surprised me since it's not a particularly sad song, but when I got to the last verse about the children moving away, I got a catch in my voice. I guess it just really resonated with me (6 kids, all now on their own). I thought it was a one time thing, but it started to happen with some frequency. I still perform the song but with practice, I have learned to focus on my vocal delivery and mentally disconnect from the lyrics when I get to this part of the song.

My husband has the same problem with "I Thought He Walked On Water". He was very close to his grandfather, who passed long ago and just cannot perform this song.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:05 PM

The “trick” is..... to not play it😁. At least that’s my trick. Some songs just strike you a certain way. I can’t even listen to that Cat Stevens song “Cats in the Cradle” anymore, let alone play it. Too emotional to me.

Jeff
Old 04-05-2018, 01:44 PM

Default Many times

For me it was Cindy Walkers "Going Away Party".

I just kept at till I could get through it.

Just a bit of advice. If you don't want this song to haunt you for the rest of your life don't listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4PpuTiHbRM

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

Last edited by Big Band Guitar; 04-05-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Country Tear Jerkers

The music camp I attend "Ashokan Western and Swing" has a song swap once every camp after dinner that the subject is Country Tear Jerkers.

One of the campers always does this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkUFVW5GnZ8

He puts out a box of tissues out before he starts. They are needed. How he gets through it I'll never know.

I'll try Give My Love to Rose this year and see how it goes.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Stoically speaking, no. I see songs as scripted to patronize the emotions. Same goes for movies. I don't try to be that way, I just am naturally and see through it all to the wallet. This makes it difficult for me to fake the passion some songs require, to inject the sincerity needed to make them credible to an audience, so I tend not to play them.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

That guy's been in the slammer for ten years. Rose found a new guy years ago. And his sone hates his guts for being a jailbird. And where'd he get a bag of money anyway, he's been in jail for ten years.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM

These are great replies everyone! Thank you so much. Keep them coming.

^^^^ This guy above me. That's a interesting POV. I'll keep that in mind next time I play it. Thank you for a good laugh after a 15 hr work day. FWIW, I don't Johnny Cash would agree with your assessment, but he's dead, so there's that.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
The music camp I attend "Ashokan Western and Swing" has a song swap once every camp after dinner that the subject is Country Tear Jerkers.

He puts out a box of tissues out before he starts. They are needed. How he gets through it I'll never know.

I'll try Give My Love to Rose this year and see how it goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoZJND_PH5E

(I don't know what the Telecaster looks like in color, but in B/W it looks awesome)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:

Brilliant. One would need to have a heart of stone not to laugh at that.
Made me smile anyhow.
(As a younger man it would have made me squirm with embarrassment, or mime vomiting at its sentimentality. I've grown up since then, and now rather enjoy the innocent cliches of those old country tunes. Hank Williams (I) and George Jones for me.

But are you really serious that makes people cry??? Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned British psychopath...
Old 04-06-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoZJND_PH5E

(I don't know what the Telecaster looks like in color, but in B/W it looks awesome)
Great. Never seen Johnny look so much like Elvis...
Old 04-06-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
For me it was Cindy Walkers "Going Away Party".

I just kept at till I could get through it.

Just a bit of advice. If you don't want this song to haunt you for the rest of your life don't listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4PpuTiHbRM
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Yeah, they know what heartless cynics we are in the UK.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write