The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Can anyone recommend a teacher in the Raleigh NC area?

Been playing decades and am an intermediate at best. I need some guidance and direction to show me how to practice and progress. I have tried a few teachers and so far they were either only appropriate for beginners or they were good players but not good teachers.

I am quite certain I have some bad habits to unlearn, I have very short fingers, so I need someone who can help me find work arounds on some of the songs that most people play with thumb wrap overs or stretches that my fingers physically cannot reach.

I am about 40 minutes east of Raleigh, so anyone in the region know of someone? I can drive to Raleigh, or points about an hour or so east of that.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
Been playing decades and am an intermediate at best. I need some guidance and direction to show me how to practice and progress. I have tried a few teachers and so far they were either only appropriate for beginners or they were good players but not good teachers.

I am quite certain I have some bad habits to unlearn, I have very short fingers, so I need someone who can help me find work arounds on some of the songs that most people play with thumb wrap overs or stretches that my fingers physically cannot reach.

I am about 40 minutes east of Raleigh, so anyone in the region know of someone? I can drive to Raleigh, or points about an hour or so east of that.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I know this is an old question but you may try contacting Robinson Earle at www.arcaneamericana.com. He is located in Chapel Hill but does Skype lessons as well as in-studio lessons. I took Skype lessons from him last fall and really enjoyed them and I hope to take more in the future. Robinson used to be the manager of the acoustic section at Soundpure and is a pretty phenomenal guitar player. You can check out the many guitar demo videos on YouTube he did for Soundpure to get an idea of the type of player he is. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

PM sent with detail, but Jon Heames and John Wheeler are both excellent and located at Harry's Guitar Shop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write