The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 AM

The D-45 is made with martin’s best wood stock and a lot of care. Some think the abalone purfling (and associated routing) helps loosen the top up. There’s a reason it’s a revered guitar. With one exception, I can’t say I’ve played a dud. That said, you can get lucky and find a masterful HD-28 or D-35 for less than $3,000. If I didn’t have children (and associated parental/financial guilt) I would probably buy a D-45 because I have wanted once since I was kid. But, for now, I’ll keep it on the bucket list.

Regarding your specific situation, you (like me) appear to have a GAS problem. Be careful.

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-25-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Regarding your specific situation, you (like me) appear to have a GAS problem. Be careful.
Yes, I have a bad problem. I think that what I need to do is step back and focus on playing awhile. Life has gotten so hectic that I spend more time on forums and guitar sites than I do playing my guitars.

It's funny, but when I don't play my guitars for a while, I can stereotype their sound into what I "think" I remember. Then I actually play them and they blow me away. I hadn't played the D-18 in a while and when I picked it up, I had forgotten about all the low end and the huge vibrating resonance. Felt good, and then I felt bad about selling it.

Lesson learned for now. I've got a stable that I'm very thankful for, and I can't lose sight of that.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I guess I should confess that I couldn't go through with the sale on the D-18. As I was putting it in the shipping box, my heart just sunk and I couldn't. It really is a great one and I felt terrible for the buyer. I was honest with the buyer and apologized greatly.

So, no more gas for me. If I do decide I need a Rosewood dread, I will have to find one before I sell such an amazing guitar.
I say good for you!

Now you can enjoy it. After a while get the D-45 or another rosewood one.
Why not? These guitars bring us joy
various basses and uprights
Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have a bad problem. I think that what I need to do is step back and focus on playing awhile. Life has gotten so hectic that I spend more time on forums and guitar sites than I do playing my guitars.

Lesson learned for now. I've got a stable that I'm very thankful for, and I can't lose sight of that.
You remind me of myself. If I may be so forward as to conclude that you suffer from the modern hectic life: pressure, responsibilities, endless amounts of incoming information and demands, probably 24/7. The AGF, Internet, YouTube, and forums all provide a mental respite from the pressure.

It's so absolutely appealing to engross yourself in the temporary mental vacation that comes from discussing your favorite topic with a lot of other enthusiasts.

Unfortunately, for people who have a tendency towards obsession (me), it can lead to erratic buying and selling behavior based on temporary intrusive thoughts about specific instruments, pickups, components, or "problems" that must be solved. The impulse to "do something" based on learning new things can be impossible to ignore for some people.

I'm afraid the only solution is abstinence. And, when I figure out how to do that, I'll be sure to let you know. :-)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
The D-45 is made with martin’s best wood stock and a lot of care. Some think the abalone purfling (and associated routing) helps loosen the top up. There’s a reason it’s a revered guitar. With one exception, I can’t say I’ve played a dud. That said, you can get lucky and find a masterful HD-28 or D-35 for less than $3,000. If I didn’t have children (and associated parental/financial guilt) I would probably buy a D-45 because I have wanted once since I was kid. But, for now, I’ll keep it on the bucket list.

Hey, Dave...isn’t the entire Style 40 lineup made with premium woods and “a lot of care.” The only real difference being the increased bling as you move from 41, 42 to 45?

I’ve owned some wonderful Martins - a post-2012 D-18, two D-28s (including a “reimagined” version) and a CEO-7. All fantastic guitars. But my 41 is a cut above them all. Has that CS feel...

Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Hey, Dave...isn’t the entire Style 40 lineup made with premium woods and “a lot of care.” The only real difference being the increased bling as you move from 41, 42 to 45?

I’ve owned some wonderful Martins - a post-2012 D-18, two D-28s (including a “reimagined” version) and a CEO-7. All fantastic guitars. But my 41 is a cut above them all. Has that CS feel...
I believe you are correct. But, I think that even within the 40 series, the highest grades go to the 45s. It's hard to imagine them putting a $5,000 premium on the 45 from the 41 simply based on the additional abalone work alone.

That said, for anyone with a taste for a D-45, but not wanting to spend the $8,000, the 2018 D-41 seems like a marvelous option, regardless of any wood grading.

Moreover, I consider a lot of the wood grading to be akin to "cork sniffing." Since that grading is based purely on visual inspection, I don't think it guarantees a specific tonal result. But, it probably increases the likelihood. The wood passes through a number of hands on it's way to your D-45. I suspect many of them know what they're doing.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:10 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
I believe you are correct. But, I think that even within the 40 series, the highest grades go to the 45s. It's hard to imagine them putting a $5,000 premium on the 45 from the 41 simply based on the additional abalone work alone.

That said, for anyone with a taste for a D-45, but not wanting to spend the $8,000, the 2018 D-41 seems like a marvelous option, regardless of any wood grading.

Moreover, I consider a lot of the wood grading to be akin to "cork sniffing." Since that grading is based purely on visual inspection, I don't think it guarantees a specific tonal result. But, it probably increases the likelihood. The wood passes through a number of hands on it's way to your D-45. I suspect many of them know what they're doing.
Yep...couldn’t agree with you more. Especially the part about the “premium woods” being more about aesthetics than tone. I suspect the main thing that makes Style 40s a cut above is the “a lot of care” you mentioned. I think the guys/gals who build them know they are producing guitars that are at the top of Martin’s standard food chain...and act appropriately.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:23 AM

I have spent many hours in guitar shops looking for "THE ONE".
Over the years, I have found several of them.
No matter what guitar you have, you will find another guitar that sounds better, if you keep looking.

I appreciate great guitars but I am very happy with what I have.
There will always a better guitar out there if I go looking.
For now, my GAS is under control.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have spent many hours in guitar shops looking for "THE ONE".
Over the years, I have found several of them.
No matter what guitar you have, you will find another guitar that sounds better, if you keep looking.

I appreciate great guitars but I am very happy with what I have.
There will always a better guitar out there if I go looking.
For now, my GAS is under control.
Wise advice. GAS cures itself when you quit looking.

So, how do we quit looking, exactly?

LOL
Old 04-25-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
You remind me of myself. If I may be so forward as to conclude that you suffer from the modern hectic life: pressure, responsibilities, endless amounts of incoming information and demands, probably 24/7. The AGF, Internet, YouTube, and forums all provide a mental respite from the pressure.

It's so absolutely appealing to engross yourself in the temporary mental vacation that comes from discussing your favorite topic with a lot of other enthusiasts.

Unfortunately, for people who have a tendency towards obsession (me), it can lead to erratic buying and selling behavior based on temporary intrusive thoughts about specific instruments, pickups, components, or "problems" that must be solved. The impulse to "do something" based on learning new things can be impossible to ignore for some people.

I'm afraid the only solution is abstinence. And, when I figure out how to do that, I'll be sure to let you know. :-)
You hit the nail on the head. It's not just guitars, I tend to obsess over all of my hobbies. I've been into photography, firearms, watches, video games, heck you name it. Every time I tend to gravitate to the gear I need to get up and going and then it quickly escalates. I'm extremely marketable, and I LOVE researching purchases.

I think if I made a pact with myself to not buy anything for myself in a year, I could save enough cash to buy a D-41. You know, I might just do that and see how it goes....
Old 04-25-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess I should confess that I couldn't go through with the sale on the D-18. As I was putting it in the shipping box, my heart just sunk and I couldn't. It really is a great one and I felt terrible for the buyer. I was honest with the buyer and apologized greatly.

So, no more gas for me. If I do decide I need a Rosewood dread, I will have to find one before I sell such an amazing guitar.
Hmm. So all this emotion and uncertainty about the D-18, you make a sale in 4 hours at a great price and you backed out? Not cool, IMHO. Just to be clear on how some of us view that kind of behavior...if I were the buyer in that situation, it would be our very last transaction on the AGF. Time to take a deep breath and step back from the forum euphoria for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
This is absolutely true ^^

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-25-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Hmm. So all this emotion and uncertainty about the D-18, you make a sale in 4 hours at a great price and you backed out? Not cool, IMHO. Just to be clear on how some of us view that kind of behavior...if I were the buyer in that situation, it would be our very last transaction on the AGF. Time to take a deep breath and step back from the forum euphoria for a bit.

This is absolutely true ^^
You are right, and I feel terrible about it. He was extremely gracious, and I think it was ok in the end. I'll be the first to admit I get caught up in the moment sometimes, and I really thought I was ready to sell it.

Momentary lapse in judgement, but I'll try to be more deliberate in my sales. I guess the big thing is that I didn't anticipate getting a serious buyer within the first hour I posted it. It's everyone's goal to get that quick sale, but it just happened so quickly and I guess I needed more time to think.

Anyways, a slap on the wrist is deserved, my apologies.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Wise advice. GAS cures itself when you quit looking.
I'm not sure this is true. I showed up for a jam session with friends not knowing that it was going to end up being a parlor-style recital. A buddy with whom I jam frequently showed up with a custom D-45, and invited me to play it. I turned him down the first two times he offered, but took it up the third time because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Wow--couldn't believe the tone. And the sustain was insane. Like nothing I've ever played before or since.

Took me about a week to get over it and make friends again with my Martin dread, which I'd always thought was the perfect guitar until the night I played that D-45.

Moral of the story is that we're all GAS-doomed even if you're not actively looking. Sometimes a better instrument just finds its way into your hands while you're minding your own business.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I'm not sure this is true. I showed up for a jam session with friends not knowing that it was going to end up being a parlor-style recital. A buddy with whom I jam frequently showed up with a custom D-45, and invited me to play it. I turned him down the first two times he offered, but took it up the third time because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Wow--couldn't believe the tone. And the sustain was insane. Like nothing I've ever played before or since.

Took me about a week to get over it and make friends again with my Martin dread, which I'd always thought was the perfect guitar until the night I played that D-45.

Moral of the story is that we're all GAS-doomed even if you're not actively looking. Sometimes a better instrument just finds its way into your hands while you're minding your own business.

Proof that there is no cure! Lol

Well the best thing for me is to play my guitars more and worry less about what I don’t have.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:24 PM

I bought my first Martin in 1993. Went in to buy a D-41 and walked out with a D-35 because it just sounded better than the D-41 they had.

Fast forward to 2006, I went into that same store to buy a D-42. I walked out with a D-41 Special because it just sounded better than the D-42 they had. I saved $800 to boot!
Recording King RO227
Fender FR-50
Baby Taylor (spruce)
Blueridge BR 180
Eastman E10 SS/v

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion